Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
MemoriesOfGreen
Why the heck would you use gasoline when it's so damn expensive these days!?!?!?! Just buy some cheap lice treatment from Walmart.

While I don't recommend the gasoline and you are probably joking - lice shampoo is more expensive.
Equate Lice shampoo - 8 oz $8.34 on Walmart's web site. Or roughly $1 an ounce.
At $4 a gallon, 8 oz of gas = $0.25 (25 cents).
So no, not cheaper, just more dangerous.
Of course, by the time you add in all those medical bills and legal fees it's likely to add up to more than a quarter so - not so cheap. smile

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kai-Shan Valandria
Alexander J Luthor
I know it might sound silly and unconventional, but you know... WHY NOT CUT OFF THEIR DAMN HAIR?

Jesus, with all the scar tissue she may never get the chance to grow any of it back. Thanks, ma.

gonk

Good lord, no, especially not on a girl. It would be better than being lit on fire, sure, but there are plenty of options. Kerosene does work, but a far more sensible option is using white vinegar and a nit comb.

There was a girl in my elementary class who was shaved because her hair was over two feet when she got lice. She was pretty with or without hair. emotion_kirakira

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Alexander J Luthor
Kai-Shan Valandria
Alexander J Luthor
I know it might sound silly and unconventional, but you know... WHY NOT CUT OFF THEIR DAMN HAIR?

Jesus, with all the scar tissue she may never get the chance to grow any of it back. Thanks, ma.

gonk

Good lord, no, especially not on a girl. It would be better than being lit on fire, sure, but there are plenty of options. Kerosene does work, but a far more sensible option is using white vinegar and a nit comb.

There was a girl in my elementary class who was shaved because her hair was over two feet when she got lice. She was pretty with or without hair. emotion_kirakira

*shudders* That was almost me, as I caught a set that were resistant to everything including Rid-X in third grade. I missed three weeks of school and white vinegar was the last thing we tried, but it still absolutely destroyed any chance I had at a social life in school. Good on you for not being a judgmental little wad. heart

edit: Forgot to mention, the jail sentence and charges proposed are obscene. It was an incredibly stupid accident, isn't she suffering enough with their child hurt so badly?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I remember, growing up, my stepsisters would be over every weekend, and for two years, that meant that everyone had to be deloused once a week, because they got lice in school, and their mother refused to do anything about it in her own home, so the Friday Delousing was completely undone for them by Sunday night when they went home.

That was when I started shaving my head, on account of the fact that the anti-lice shampoos gave me a horrible scalp rash.

My sisters would have gotten the same treatment, except for the fact that, when the idea was brought up, their mother threatened to call Child Protective Services on their father and my mother if they even thought about it.

She, though, was convinced that the lice were coming from my mom and stepdad's house, since she lived in a housing project, and they sprayed those for roaches twice a year, which to her, meant that the projects were lice-proof.

Dedicated Student

MemoriesOfGreen
Why the heck would you use gasoline when it's so damn expensive these days!?!?!?! Just buy some cheap lice treatment from Walmart.

The lice treatment is not as cheap as gas, and the lice treatments at walmart don't work. The only thing that I have found to get rid of them are electric lice/flea combs. You have to use them every day for seven days, but they work. Also just thoroughly combing you hair works, but that takes longer. No chemicals are needed. In fact that is the problem, chemicals.

Not trying to defend the mother though.

Dapper Fatcat

3,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Tycoon 200
what the actual ********
Here I'll pour gasoline on my child's head. That's a sure way to get rid of lice kids.
The closest I ever came to having lice were all false alarms...

there was always fluff in my hair and someone was always like.. "Hang on..."

and I'm like "What!?!"

and they're like... "Nope, just fluff again... You know you got alot of that in there!"

each and every time I was like "Well F@#$!"

I'm just glad I never got them for real, my Mom would've thought gasoline was crazy, but she'd have nothing against shaving my head if the shampoo didn't work eek

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
MemoriesOfGreen
My thoughts exactly. At least the lice treatment would also kill the eggs. Back in my day, that was what parents used and it worked fine. I never had to deal with lice myself (methinks my hair was too thick for them to breathe!), but some of my friends did and they used nix and it worked just fine on them with no ill side effects. Why would going to gasoline be the first thought in this mother's mind? Why would anyone think to put potentially flammable chemicals on their offspring's head? What was she thinking (if she even was)?

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Only in America.

Greedy Consumer

Kai-Shan Valandria
Alexander J Luthor
Kai-Shan Valandria
Alexander J Luthor

gonk

*shudders* That was almost me, as I caught a set that were resistant to everything including Rid-X in third grade. I missed three weeks of school and white vinegar was the last thing we tried, but it still absolutely destroyed any chance I had at a social life in school. Good on you for not being a judgmental little wad. heart

edit: Forgot to mention, the jail sentence and charges proposed are obscene. It was an incredibly stupid accident, isn't she suffering enough with their child hurt so badly?
instead of just sensitivity classes then, they need common sense classes, but thatd make them feel so stupid xd

Greedy Consumer

captainplanet100
Only in America.
at least we dont throw acid at each other lol

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
xXFurygeistXx
MemoriesOfGreen
My thoughts exactly. At least the lice treatment would also kill the eggs. Back in my day, that was what parents used and it worked fine. I never had to deal with lice myself (methinks my hair was too thick for them to breathe!), but some of my friends did and they used nix and it worked just fine on them with no ill side effects. Why would going to gasoline be the first thought in this mother's mind? Why would anyone think to put potentially flammable chemicals on their offspring's head? What was she thinking (if she even was)?

If you're very lucky, it works. While controversial, there are studies backing up the fact that lice are becoming genetically resistant to the active ingredients in things like Rid, Nix, and other commercially-available products. It isn't new, either - I had a truly nasty resistant set about 22 years ago.

This link has some neat data.
Web MD link on it, along with "no nit" school policies.
FDA approves new treatment.

I actually learned something new, as I thought lice could spread by jumping, but they cannot, they can only crawl. I caught them the standard way, as a little girl while sharing a brush with a friend while we were doing each other's hair.

As for the mother in the article, the only thing I can think of is maybe she was exasperated and Googled home remedies, and for some reason lit onto the kerosene/gasoline removal method, instead of something harmless like dousing hair in mayo or olive oil and leaving it in overnight with a shower cap. Or something that actually works, which is white vinegar and a nit comb. Dammit, now I have the itchies. :*(

Dapper Gawker

Taking killing them with kindness to a whole new level.

Feline Smoker

hahahahahaha

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas