Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Conventioneer

17,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
By Andy Kossak, Tue, August 06, 2013
A judge in Franklin County, Ohio, could face disciplinary measures after she vocally expressed in open court her disagreement to a jury for reaching a not guilty verdict in an assault trial.

Four jurors complained about the behavior of Judge Amy Salerno incident to Franklin County Administrative Judge James Green.

"The judge came off the bench, and she indicated she thought they had gotten the verdict wrong," Green said, according to ABC6. "They were further told, 99 percent of the time, the jury gets it right. It's now 98 percent. They brought that percentage down by getting it wrong."

Salerno reportedly also said she was not done with the defendant that had been acquitted.

"They reported to me [that] she made a comment to them, it was OK because she would have another chance to get this defendant because he had other charges pending," Green said.

The Franklin County Municipal Court website indicates that Salerno was appointed to the bench in 2005.

"I was deeply surprised by the jury's verdict in this case, and failed to contain my surprise," Salerno said in a statement she released on Monday. "I am deeply sorry if my words in any way have offended. I can appreciate how they may have been taken in some other way."

Green is considering taking the jurors' complaints to the Ohio Supreme Court Disciplinary Council. He does not believe Salerno should preside over any future cases involving the acquitted defendant.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ohio-judge-amy-salerno-scolds-jury-after-not-guilty-verdict

http://abc6onyourside.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_franklin-co-judge-scolds-jury-after-not-guilty-verdict-25391.shtml

http://www.fcmcclerk.com/officials/court/salerno.php

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Quote:
He does not believe Salerno should preside over any future cases involving the acquitted defendant.

Damn right she shouldn't, she just admitted she was going to be extremely biased and her behavior was inexcusable. I wish we knew who the defendant was, though, I'd love to hear more about his assault and other pending charges.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
So much for being impartial. I hope she gets in trouble, that was a stupid thing to do.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I can appreciate how they may have been taken in some other way."

No lady, that's the problem. They didn't take your comments in some other way. You told them they got it wrong and you were gunning for the guy in the next trial. I'd say it sounds like they took your comments exactly how you meant them.

If the jury only gets it right 98% of the time thank goodness we have a judge who gets it right 100% of the time.
I like her.

Every now and then you just have to remind people that they're dumber than rocks. Now, should you do this while at work and in your fancy robe? Probably not.

I'm sure the guy will have other judges looking over his next cases after her comment but that doesn't mean that we won't see her name in the headlines again with a vengeful Law and Order-esque plot line attached.
Her choices: recuse herself from anything involving the guy or guarantee he gets off on appeal.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Shama_okami
Her choices: recuse herself from anything involving the guy or guarantee he gets off on appeal.

Let's just hope this didn't mess up Dude's shot at a fair trial in the future.

I mean, now that this judge's opinions are public, it could be that her colleagues either take up the crusade against him, or possibly go extra-special lenient on him out of fear of the controversy now surrounding it.
Take her robe from her and kick her off the bench. This is inexcusable action.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff