• Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Quote:

NSA spied on 'World of Warcraft,' other online games, leaked documents show
Published December 09, 2013
FoxNews.com

World of Warcraft art

Artwork depicts characters from the hit online game "World of Warcraft." (World of Warcraft)

You can never trust a Halfling again.

The National Security Agency (NSA) and UK sister agency GCHQ sought to infiltrate the massive virtual worlds in online video games such as "World of Warcraft" and interactive environments like "Second Life," according to the latest secret documents stolen by Edward Snowden and jointly released by the Guardian, the New York Times and ProPublica.

According to a document titled “Exploiting Terrorist Use of Games & Virtual Environments,” the secretive spy agencies were concerned by potential terrorist use of such games and felt an immediate need to begin analyzing in-game communications as early as 2007.

'So many intelligence agents were conducting operations inside games that a "deconfliction" group was required to ensure they weren't spying on each other.'

- The Guardian

“[Certain] games offer realistic weapons training (what weapon to use against what target, what ranges can be achieved, even aiming and firing), military operations and tactics, photorealistic land navigation and terrain familiarization, and leadership skills,” the document notes. “Some of the 9-11 pilots had never flown a real plane, they had only trained using Microsoft’s Flight Simulator.”

“The Hizballah has even hooked up a PlayStation controller to a laptop in order to guide some of its real missiles,” it notes.

According to the Guardian, real-world agents were deployed into those virtual worlds to extract communications, recruit potential informants and keep tabs on potential terrorists.

“So many different U.S. intelligence agents were conducting operations inside games that a ‘deconfliction’ group was required to ensure they weren't spying on, or interfering with, each other,” wrote the Guardian.

The documents don’t indicate whether the push led to any usable information, nor whether any terrorist plots were detected or foiled in "World of Warcraft" or other virtual environments.

The NSA, Microsoft and Second Life creator Philip Rosedale all declined to comment, the paper noted. But Blizzard Entertainment, the creator of "World of Warcraft," said it was unaware of any attempts to monitor terrorist activity in its game.

"We are unaware of any surveillance taking place," a spokesman said. "If it was, it would have been done without our knowledge or permission."

NSA spying on warcraft and other mmo games

Ok first it was the cells. then the internet. Then hacking into computers to view people through there webcam without there knowledge. Now through the games people are playing? Can anyone see just what is wrong with this picture? Anuone?

PralineQueen's Husband

Conservative Cat

13,750 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Married 100
So that's the excuse they use when their supervisor walks by their cubicle...

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Kazuma

Hee hee hee ninja

Actually given what happened on a couple of occasions, they probably wanted to find potential trouble. Unfortunately, it dun woik.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
emerald_Fox01
Can anyone see just what is wrong with this picture? Anuone?

Yeah, there is something wrong with this picture: Namely, that this traitor and terrorist stole government secrets, fled the country and has remained thusfar un-missiled.

How dare he? Doesn't he realise that Bush did all this "right violation" stuff first, and that means that it's the Obama Administration's turn, now?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Don't blame them for spying on people using Second Life. A lot of those people tend to be perverts anyways.

Wintry Dragon

Looking for recruits?

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Not everyone there is. There are a lot of good people hang there u know

Loyal Exhibitionist

Hmm. I'm using both World of Warcraft and Second Life.

Maybe I should do more sexual RP's to drive them off. ninja

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm sure there getting there kicks in gold shire on moongaurd

Omnipresent Warlord

And this is ridiculous to people because they assume criminals don't play video games or would organize on a gaming server instead of say, text message or skype?

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Omnileech
And this is ridiculous to people because they assume criminals don't play video games or would organize on a gaming server instead of say, text message or skype?

I'm not saying there aren't as I'm sure there are. I'm just saying all this sue valance without warrents and wanting to know every little thing about everyone is just going a little to far and they got to much unchecked power is all

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Omnileech

Omni,
I think the article was directed more at the fact the NSA is more or less trying to spy on everyone everywhere, not that their can't be some operatives using WoW to communicate.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
“The Hizballah has even hooked up a PlayStation controller to a laptop in order to guide some of its real missiles,” it notes.

I'm kind of wondering why this line is even in the article.
They say it like this is somehow proof that terrorists are using (online) games to do terrorist things.
Using a joystick type controller to control an X - Y axis device is nothing new. Just google on 'drone control panel' for lots of examples. Or for that matter many fly by wire jets these days.
Using a PS controller says nothing about games. It does indicate they may have had a budget problem for their hardware.

Aged Lunatic

Kazuma

rofl rofl rofl

Dapper Dabbler

8,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I've heard rumor of terrorists having their way of communicating in mmos. Hell, I mean it works and it's not as trackable as instant messengers are. This doesn't really surprise me at all the government would spy on people in such a manner through gaming worlds.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff