Welcome to Gaia! ::

On Thursday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon announced that November 10, 2012 will be observed as Malala Day worldwide.

Read More: http://www.fedri.com/topic1807

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
The page is slow to load, even on my turbo computer, so I hope you don't mind that I've copied the article here. Malala is a very important girl who people should know about.

Quote:
November 10 will be celebrated as Malala Day & Nobel Price

On Thursday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon announced that November 10, 2012 will be observed as Malala Day worldwide.

November 10 marks 30 days since 15-year-old Pakistani Malala Yousafzai was shot in the head and neck by Taliban gunmen while returning home from school. She was targeted for her activism regarding education and women’s rights and for repeatedly standing up against the Taliban.

To celebrate Malala and her work, UN Special Envoy for Global Education Gordon Brown will present to Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari a petition signed by over 1 million people from across the world. The petition calls for a plan to enable education for all Pakistani children, regardless of gender and to outlaw discrimination against girls. Around 5 million children in Pakistan are currently out of school.

Malala, who is currently recovering from the attack and receiving special treatment at a hospital in Birmingham, had started blogging for BBC Urdu at the age of 12. In her blog posts, she talked about the Taliban’s gradual takeover of the Swat Valley, where she lived, and the dire consequences this brought for education, girls education in particular, as the Taliban blew up school and prohibited girls from attending school. She also presented her and other girls' struggle to continue attending school and revolt against the Taliban's actions.

UK activists have been demanding the British government to nominate Malala for the Nobel Peace Prize, for her symbolic work on behalf of girls’ and women’s right to education and for her fight against the Taliban. More than 30,000 people in Britain have signed a petition to request her nomination for the peace prize. Similar campaigns have been initiated in France, Canada and Spain.

Malala’s nomination is still to be discussed by the British government. Nevertheless, for now, as the Huffington Post emphasizes, Brown’s trip to Pakistan on November 10 might indicate the beginning of a new era for global education. Ban Ki-Moon hopes that celebrating Malala day will boost the United Nations’ Education First Initiative and further emphasize that education is a right for all. There are currently 61 million children living without access to school around the world, of whom around 32 million are girls.
While she is definitely a brave and heroic young girl, she doesn't qualify for the Nobel. They only give that out now to people that are politically motivated and haven't really done anything to deserve it. She's over qualified.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
This is sort of funny in an ironic kind of way.
Many of the extremists are all about being martyrs for a cause yet they have inadvertently turned this girl into a fairly powerful 'martyr' even though she is still alive.

I don't think the girl deserves a Nobel prize but I do feel she deserves recognition.
If everyone over there stood up for their beliefs in spite of the extremists I think we would see more change over there. Unfortunately we would also see more dead people first but I think people standing up to them would encourage other people to stand up to them. I would really like to believe that in their hearts the majority of people over there do not condone doing such horrible things to women and children.
i cant wait for the day when all the dates on the calendar are holidays. emotion_kirakira emotion_awesome
Malala Yousafzai - getting better every day

Malala Yousafzai - getting better every day - YouTube

The first part of the video is a Sky News report detailing the scheduled reconstructive surgery planned to be carried out on Malala Yousafzai at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, England.

A titanium plate is to be fitted to Malala's skull and a cochlear implant to help her recover hearing in her left ear.

The second part of the video is news footage of Malala set to the music "It's getting better" sung by Cass Elliot.

The video concludes with the following end message from me Peter Dow for my AfPakMission channel video as follows.

We love Malala.
We hate the Taliban.
We are the good people.
The Taliban are evil.

The good people of Pakistan and all the world wish Malala
to get better every day.
Our military should kill every Taliban and help the world
to get better every day.

First the victory prize by wiping out the Taliban.

Then there will be peace
and time for peace prizes.
We have a war to win first.

Greedy Consumer

Ignacio Egnatius
i cant wait for the day when all the dates on the calendar are holidays. emotion_kirakira emotion_awesome
just like 200 more wars and it should be settled razz lol
First video of Malala speaking after her operation and released at the same time a 2nd video taken before her operation on 22nd January! biggrin

SKY NEWS: Malala: Schoolgirl Shot By Taliban Speaks Out

Quote:
The Pakistani schoolgirl shot in the head by the Taliban has spoken out about her recovery for the first time since she was nearly killed.

Speaking shortly after Queen Elizabeth Hospital revealed they had successfully operated to reconstruct her skull and restore her hearing, 15-year-old Malala Yousufzai said she was "feeling alright" and "happy that both the operations were successful".

She said: "I can also walk a little bit, I can talk and I'm feeling better."

"It does not feel like I had a very big operation," she added - despite undergoing five hours of surgery.

Video taken on 22nd January before her operation and released today.

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
Internationally, it was a wonderful date I'm sure. In the the activity planning for Veteran's day, and various parades in the US, I don't think Malala day is going to get a foothold in the US. People wouldn't remember Labor day in the shadow of 9/11 unless they got a day off, so I doubt Malala day will be getting noticed.

Malala Yousafzai speaking after surgery in England (YouTube)

Malala Yousafzai speaking to her consultant after surgery to reconstruct her skull and to implant a hearing device.

Broadcast on BBC News on February 4, 2013

Transcript
Quote:
Malala says

"I'm feeling alright and I am happy that the operations, both the operations are successful and you know, it was that kind of successful that now they have removed everything from me and I can also walk a little bit, I can talk and I'm feeling better and it doesn't seem that I had a very big operation, it seems that just a little bit anaesthetic injection just for five hours and then I wake up."

Consultant says

"Yes, but it was five hours, it was not a small procedure but you look remarkably good for it"

Malala says

"But it was very nice because there is no drainage system and I think everything is fine, it's better."

Consultant -
"Good"

Malala

"Yeh"

Consultant -

"and what are you looking forward to next?"

Malala
"I think that I will just get better very soon and there will be no problem, I would hear after one month, in this ear, I hope and the thing is that my mission is the same, to help people and I will do that."

Consultant -

"Yes and what do you think of your treatment so far then, can you remember that?"

Malala -

"If I try to speak about my whole treatment, it started in Pakistan and they did a very successful and a very good operation of me and God gave me a new life because of the prayers of people and because of the talent of doctors.

Here in Birmingham in Queen Elizabeth Hospital, here they did the operation of my nerves so after four or five months my left hand side of the face would work, Insha' Allah.

They took care, a lot of care of me, intensive care and I think I'm inspired from the doctors and nurses - they are like my mother and father because for ten days my mother and father were not with me but I had a lot of doctors and nurses who took care of me as if they were my parents."

heart

Peter Dow of AfPak Mission channel says -

Quote:
Please subscribe to the AfPak Mission channel on YouTube offering videos and links to inform the West's mission to help free the people of Afghanistan, Pakistan and the rest of the world from the terrorism of the Taliban and other jihadi Islamo-fascist terrorist enemies by achieving a final, total victory over the enemy by the adoption and execution of a competent military strategy to crush the enemy utterly and thereby to win the war on terror, and not ever to contemplate peace negotiations with the enemy Taliban nor with any of their state-sponsors.

If you would like to beat the enemy Taliban then this AfPak Mission channel is the channel for you.

Please watch the videos in the featured Playlists, especially the uploaded videos and the two videos in the Secret Pakistan playlist.

Visit the channel links
to Twitter, where you can follow AfPak Mission

and to the AfPak military strategy blog posts.

ninja

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
FIFTEEN YEARS IS A SHORT TIME TO SPEND ON EARTH TO HAVE SUCH A MATURE UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORD EDUCATION. SORRY TO SAY BUT I DON'T THINK THAT EVEN 25% OF OUR CHILDREN KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE DEPRIVED OF AN EDUCATION

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff