Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
North Korea threatens to launch 'precision attack' missiles at U.S. Navy bases

North Korea today threatened to launch 'precision attack' weapons at U.S. Navy bases if the country is provoked.

The country's supreme military command said it had the bases in Guam and Okinawa in their sights.

The North has responded angrily to reports that the United States has flown B-52 bomber sorties over the Korean peninsula as part of the annual military drills with South Korean forces.

User Image

A North Korean command spokesman, who was quoted by KCNA news agency, said: 'The United States is advised not to forget that our precision target tools have within their range the Anderson Air Force base on Guam where the B-52 takes off, as well as the Japanese mainland where nuclear powered submarines are deployed and the navy bases on Okinawa.'

North Korea earlier made a threat to stage a nuclear attack on the United States, something that is well outside of its current military capacity, although the U.S. Pacific bases are in range of its medium range missiles.

It comes following reports today that North Korea had issued an air raid warning.
The warning was issued at 0032 GMT and carried a message to military units to stand ready, but the action appeared to be a drill under an air raid scenario, Yonhap news agency said.

An official at South Korea's Unification Ministry , which handles ties with the North and monitors North Korea's news broadcasts, confirmed the air raid warning on Thursday morning.

North Korea has stepped up its military exercises in response to what it regards as 'hostile' joint drills by South Korea and the United States after Pyongyang was sanctioned by the U.N. Security Council for a nuclear test in February.

It is not known if North Korea possesses drones, although a report on South Korea's Yonhap news agency last year said that it had obtained 1970s-era U.S. target drones from Syria to develop into attack drones.

"The (drone) planes were assigned the flight route and time with the targets in South Korea in mind, Kim Jong Un said, adding with great satisfaction that they were proved to be able to mount (a) super-precision attack on any enemy targets," KCNA reported.

It is extremely rare for KCNA to specify the day on which Kim attended a drill.

It also said that a rocket defense unit had successfully shot down a target that mimicked an "enemy" Tomahawk cruise missile.

The official could not confirm whether the warning was part of a drill. The two Koreas remain technically at war under a truce that ended their 1950-53 conflict. Tensions have been high with the rivals exchanging verbal barbs.

North Korea has said it has abrogated an armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War and threatened a nuclear attack on the United States.

Earlier in the day, KCNA denounced U.S. moves that it said were aimed at staging a "preemptive nuclear strike" on North Korea, citing the deployment of a U.S. B-52 bomber over the Korean peninsula as well as what it said were nuclear-armed submarines.

The U.S. and South Korea say their drills are defensive.

Tensions have mounted on the Korean peninsula since North Korea staged its first successful long-range rocket launch in December. It followed this up with its third nuclear weapons test in February.

Pyongyang is barred from developing missile and nuclear-related technology under U.N. sanctions imposed after previous nuclear tests.

Earlier Wednesday, China's new leader, Xi Jinping, said he would offer to promote "reconciliation and cooperation" on the Korean peninsula.

Most military experts say that the North will likely not launch an all-out war against South Korea and its U.S. ally due to its outdated weaponry.

Pyongyang is viewed as more likely to stage an attack along a disputed sea border between the two countries as it did in 2010 when it shelled a South Korean island, killing four people.

Such a move would provide a major test for new South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who took office pledging closer ties with the North if it abandoned its nuclear push.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200
misleading headline

North Korea warns that U.S. bases in Guam, Japan are within range
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/20/world/asia/north-korea-threats
Quote:

The statement from the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army, carried by the North's state-run news agency, follows the announcement by the United States this week that its B-52 bombers were making flights over South Korea as part of annual military exercises.

"The U.S. should not forget that the Andersen Air Force Base on Guam where the B-52s take off and naval bases in Japan proper and Okinawa where nuclear-powered submarines are launched are within the striking range of the DPRK's precision strike means," the North Korean military said Thursday.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
EviI Spaghetti
misleading headline

North Korea warns that U.S. bases in Guam, Japan are within range
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/20/world/asia/north-korea-threats
Quote:

The statement from the Supreme Command of the Korean People's Army, carried by the North's state-run news agency, follows the announcement by the United States this week that its B-52 bombers were making flights over South Korea as part of annual military exercises.

"The U.S. should not forget that the Andersen Air Force Base on Guam where the B-52s take off and naval bases in Japan proper and Okinawa where nuclear-powered submarines are launched are within the striking range of the DPRK's precision strike means," the North Korean military said Thursday.

Not misleading: to attack the U.S. bases, North Korea must strike on Japanese soil and on Guam. The map shows this clearly. Unless you think that Japan and Guam wouldn't object to having missiles flying overhead and landing inside their borders.

The threat to pitch missiles through another country's air space is a threat to violate that country's territory (the nation owns all from the ground to the sky). North Korea might as well openly declare war on them.
Please let them try. Oh please, oh please, oh please. Then they'd become a nice stone age civilization and we won't have to hear their whining every year.

Cheery Genius

It's just rhetoric. The DPRK doesn't want war and neither does the United States. It's a lost cause for both sides.

Think about it. Say the US goes to war with the DPRK and defeats them, and possibly uses nuclear weapons against them. Not only would that be a gross overreaction, considering the DPRK does not have warheads small enough to fit on an ICBM no matter what they say, we would most likely spend a great deal of resources rebuilding Korea afterward. Combine that with the costs of war, and it's really, really unnecessary and too costly. We're already fighting other conflicts and we don't have the means to fund another one, unless everyone's okay with the US economy going further down the hole. This is just another Cold War remnant that needs to be put to rest.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I might worry about this - if I thought for a nanosecond that NK had precision attack weapons. lol

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
It won't happen; they know if they ever committed such an unjustified act, they would be doomed

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
North Korea is the most annoying ******** chihuahua in the world.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Blood Valkyrie
North Korea is the most annoying ******** chihuahua in the world.

That pretty well sums it up. Though some other places compete for the title.
If the US wanted to nuke DPRK they wouldn't need a B52 flying close.
I assume DPRK does it mostly to justify its control over its people. "Oh noz the south and the US are going to attack us during this year's drills. We have to spend all our money on military stuff while you all suffer and starve. Thank you for your loyal sacrifice."

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I hope those idiots realize if they did launch a missile at Japan or any of the bases, we have anti-missile defenses set up. But I agree, this is just more posturing by the North to scare its citizens.

Cheery Genius

Darth Acheron
I hope those idiots realize if they did launch a missile at Japan or any of the bases, we have anti-missile defenses set up. But I agree, this is just more posturing by the North to scare its citizens.

The DPRK is not stupid, believe it or not. They know full well what they're doing. They're not at all trying to scare their own people--national self-defense is one of the three main components of the Juche ideology. The DPRK has this type of rhetoric because they believe that they need to assert their independence in the face of imperialist advances. They have had this rhetoric ever since Kim Il-sung created and disseminated the Juche ideology. All they're saying is that they are not going to let other nations boss them around.
Kimjongilia
Darth Acheron

The DPRK is not stupid, believe it or not. They know full well what they're doing. They're not at all trying to scare their own people--national self-defense is one of the three main components of the Juche ideology. The DPRK has this type of rhetoric because they believe that they need to assert their independence in the face of imperialist advances. They have had this rhetoric ever since Kim Il-sung created and disseminated the Juche ideology. All they're saying is that they are not going to let other nations boss them around.

So they act in a manner that is almost begging for those other nations to get involved? Makes sense to me.

Cheery Genius

Shama_okami
Kimjongilia
Darth Acheron

So they act in a manner that is almost begging for those other nations to get involved? Makes sense to me.

Why do other nations need to get involved? The DPRK hasn't attacked anyone, so there's no need for the United States to attack them either. To paraphrase Kim Il-sung, the DPRK doesn't want war, yet won't fear it and won't beg others for peace.
Kimjongilia
Shama_okami
Kimjongilia
Darth Acheron

Why do other nations need to get involved? The DPRK hasn't attacked anyone, so there's no need for the United States to attack them either. To paraphrase Kim Il-sung, the DPRK doesn't want war, yet won't fear it and won't beg others for peace.

I'm just pointing out that they are routinely threatening to destroy, wipe out, or otherwise attack other countries. When doing that you have to accept some of the blame should they come after you.

Cheery Genius

Shama_okami
I'm just pointing out that they are routinely threatening to destroy, wipe out, or otherwise attack other countries. When doing that you have to accept some of the blame should they come after you.

The South Korean government threatened to obliterate the DPRK. Can you justify that?

The DPRK is not going to attack anyone unless they are attacked first, full stop. They don't have nuclear weapons. They are not a threat.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff