Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Blood Valkyrie
it's also teaching them that it is perfectly okay to exclude people based on gender alone.

No, it's teaching them the exact opposite. So many girls are told that they are excluded from the sciences because of their gender alone. This is an opportunity to pull them aside and correct that toxic misconception before it makes a negative impact on their lives.

Quote:
it's also teaching them that apparently something is wrong with being around boys when learning things.

Not at all. They aren't being separated from the boys because there's a problem with being around them. They're being separated because this is a problem that specifically impacts women.

Quote:
It's also teach them how to be little social justice warriors.

Please explain why you think this. I could use a good laugh.
If the reverse were to happen there'd be outrage.
ChocolateXCheese
Blood Valkyrie
it's also teaching them that it is perfectly okay to exclude people based on gender alone.

No, it's teaching them the exact opposite. So many girls are told that they are excluded from the sciences because of their gender alone. This is an opportunity to pull them aside and correct that toxic misconception before it makes a negative impact on their lives.

Quote:
it's also teaching them that apparently something is wrong with being around boys when learning things.

Not at all. They aren't being separated from the boys because there's a problem with being around them. They're being separated because this is a problem that specifically impacts women.

Quote:

Are you allergic to logic? It is not teaching them the opposite. It is showing them that by exclusion they can do whatever they want. You keep pulling up this girls being told they cannot be whatever. Where are your statistics and research on this? Or is it that ever popular 'cuz the news says so' or your favorite political campaign/social justice group that says it, so you therefor have to take it for gospel and make idiotic contradictory statements like 'by banning boys it's not exclusionary!' WTF is that?

It damn sure appears that the problem is caused by being around boys, otherwise they'd just get them away from those evil grade and middle school teachers who are obviously teaching them gender roles.
Because we all know that one day of exclusionary treatment of one set of students is going to magically fix everything, right?

They are being taught to be little social justice warriors by being shown that if you ban all the evil boys from attending instead of letting all the kids have the same opportunity, you're showing it is perfectly justifiable to discriminate based solely on gender (I wonder what happens if little Johnny decides he's little Jane and wants to go with them? Does he get included or does she get excluded?) so they learn, by being shown, if they cannot compete with the boys (and the appearance is reinforced by this segregation) and aren't expected to be able to, simply throw a hissy fit and say 'but we have v****a's and must be protected from those evil males!!
That's what I see here. Being shown by example that they must be protected because they can't compete.
Whoever set this up is ******** ignorant as s**t and is the one reinforcing sexist roles while displaying a known illegal activity of sexual discrimination.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tsuki_Kirkland
It’s an interesting idea , not sure if people will go for it / they’ll be able to repeat it without cries of discrimination despite their intents..
I guess people are going for it though. The article says it's been going on for fifteen years. :]

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
FLynnTagart
If the reverse were to happen there'd be outrage.

According to the other comments here that's not true. A lot of people think guys should be encouraged to go into careers that are more traditionally for women, too. Unless you're talking about taking boys only for science education...which wouldn't happen because they don't need the help. Guys are already encouraged in that direction.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
ChocolateXCheese
Blood Valkyrie

Quote:

Quote:

Are you allergic to logic? It is not teaching them the opposite. It is showing them that by exclusion they can do whatever they want. You keep pulling up this girls being told they cannot be whatever. Where are your statistics and research on this? Or is it that ever popular 'cuz the news says so' or your favorite political campaign/social justice group that says it, so you therefor have to take it for gospel and make idiotic contradictory statements like 'by banning boys it's not exclusionary!' WTF is that?

It damn sure appears that the problem is caused by being around boys, otherwise they'd just get them away from those evil grade and middle school teachers who are obviously teaching them gender roles.
Because we all know that one day of exclusionary treatment of one set of students is going to magically fix everything, right?

They are being taught to be little social justice warriors by being shown that if you ban all the evil boys from attending instead of letting all the kids have the same opportunity, you're showing it is perfectly justifiable to discriminate based solely on gender (I wonder what happens if little Johnny decides he's little Jane and wants to go with them? Does he get included or does she get excluded?) so they learn, by being shown, if they cannot compete with the boys (and the appearance is reinforced by this segregation) and aren't expected to be able to, simply throw a hissy fit and say 'but we have v****a's and must be protected from those evil males!!
That's what I see here. Being shown by example that they must be protected because they can't compete.
Whoever set this up is ******** ignorant as s**t and is the one reinforcing sexist roles while displaying a known illegal activity of sexual discrimination.

There is TONS of research on how girls are under-represented in the sciences.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150226110454.htm

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_hidden_brain/2011/03/psychout_sexism.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking/2010/03/22/Study-finds-girls-discouraged-from-science-careers/stories/201003220185

That's just three random selections from the tons of links that came up with a quick google search. The idea that women aren't discouraged by society from entering the sciences is ludicrous. We've known this is a reality for years.

This program is a simple attempt to counteract these negative societal influences. The only issue I have with it is what others have mentioned that it doesn't do the same for boys for more traditionally feminine careers. Otherwise it's a perfectly reasonable response to a real problem. There's no mention of any kind of feminist propaganda being involved nor any reason to believe there is. It's just about math and science.

Divine Muse

If any parent or little girl cannot deal with having male classmates because someone might have told them girls can't do something has ******** all to do with male classmates.

Do you know who more often then not tells little girls they can't do something because they are a girl?

The parents or the teacher themselves.

Sexism is never justified. There are other solutions than to just start oppressing the other side just to get back.

Send the daughters to a girls only school, they do exist. More expensive but if people love their children and "only want the best for them" then that is a valid option.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Bzzztt
Ooo i'm all for this. biggrin I'm glad they're doing this at a good time in their life, where steryotypes are really enforced.
I do kind of wish they would do similar with boys; but with fashion design, veterinarians, beauticians, etc.

Except those are all underpaid jobs. Rather than bring the boys down I think the goal is to help the girls obtain better / more affluent careers.
Fashion design is big money if you are one of the top few highly recognizable names. But for every huge name there is probably 10,000+ (100,000??) wannabes who either fail or just make "okay" wages. Beauticians are a dime a dozen. No offense to the good ones but reality is the mean pay is mediocre.
Hairdressers, Hair Stylists And Cosmetologists
The Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011 reported a national mean annual wage for hairdressers, hair stylists and cosmetologists of $26,460 and an hourly rate of $10.85. Fifty percent of those employed made this hourly and annual wage. It listed more than 350,000 employed nationally in this category. Personal care services had the highest level of employment in this category at more than 317,000 workers. The motion picture industry employed approximately 400 in this category with the highest mean annual wage of $69,780 and an hourly wage of $33.55.

Vets get decent pay compared to beauticians but the required schooling is comparable to being a people doctor but they get about half the pay.
With an average salary of $96,140 in 2013, veterinarians earned a healthy take-home pay for health care jobs. While they earned less than physicians ($188,440), they made about three times the pay of veterinary technologists ($31,760) in 2013. They made about the same average salary as physician assistants ($94,530).

I agree it is good to teach kids they do not have to comply with gender stereotypes for their careers but I don't think pushing boys towards lower paying "girl jobs" is the answer. More like - okay to do it if that is what they have their heart set on, but don't do it because you think you can't achieve one of the loftier careers.

None of what I said is meant to be condescending to anyone in a lower paying job. I've worked everything from janitor and plant nursery "grunt" to management and business partner. Every job has a purpose and needs responsible people to do it. But if we are talking about a college having a special day to try to convince middle school kids they can aim higher and achieve things they may not have thought possible - then I'm thinking that should target loftier careers.

Conservative Regular

Blood Valkyrie
Why aren't boys allowed? How about just focus on teaching EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEX AND OR GENDER?

And if you make a class where no boys are allowed, you ARE excluding boys. Sexist as ********]

It's a Career workshop aimed at girls for Careers girls don't think will amount to anything or are a "boys thing"

Lupine Genius

It's a good idea in theory, but I don't know if it'll work... I've always been into science, ever since I was very young, but I've never once been pressured into being more "feminine". Maybe my parents are just more open minded than most... But I've also never even had someone I don't know tell me that I can't be a girl and love science. Maybe I'm just lucky.

As a country though, we are producing fewer and fewer college graduates with degrees in hard sciences. I think maybe the real issue doesn't completely have to do with gender stereotypes, but rather of a lack of interest in science in math in kids, not just girls, but boys as well. Sure, there are fewer women in science related fields than men, and I think it's great that young girls are going to get this opportunity, but it's only step one of what will probably be a very long, painful process to fix the education status of this country.
ChocolateXCheese
Blood Valkyrie

Quote:

Quote:

Then boys should get empathy day because of how violent their cartoons/videogames/tvshows/movies are which is a problem that impacts males.

But truth is the little girls do not know they are excluded from science, are not told to stay outside of it, it just happens to be done less by girls traditionally. So there wasnt a real pull in the direction and girls look to other girls to see what they should do.

And now theres a no boys allowed day, when those little girls prolly dont know a thing about gender differences in work, so what do they learn. What would boys learn on a no girls allowed day? Something similar.

I can say for a fact that theres not enough information to know if any sexism may or may not occur but it is a possibility and neither of you could claim you are right, but theres at least evidence in context of male discrimination if it is in seattle named no boys day or some equal to that, as opposed to girl science day. But theres also the chance that the boys dont even know about the girl science day so it wont impact the boys, but itll impact the girls to form more groups without boys Maybe.

If a girl asks though why theres no boys or that its a boys excluded day they may feel entitled or special, which some people want their kids to feel of course, which means some mothers may be more inclined to let their kids develop that self-entitlement because its a rewarding thing, but then that could cause future sexism if not approached properly.

Theres many factors and variables, and even a 5% increase in sexism would still show though that this did promote some sexism. How much will that impact us, prolly handfuls a year of people would be negatively impacted which may not outweigh the benefit anyways.

But it could be approached a little differently and cause say 2% instead of 5. Still boys may be doing other things like sports they also didn't include an emphasis on for the girls, and boys could have some emphasis as well on some things, but its a local thing really so its up to them to decide.
Jayce Reinhardt
If any parent or little girl cannot deal with having male classmates because someone might have told them girls can't do something has ******** all to do with male classmates.

Do you know who more often then not tells little girls they can't do something because they are a girl?

Sexism is never justified. There are other solutions than to just start oppressing the other side just to get back.

Send the daughters to a girls only school, they do exist. More expensive but if people love their children and "only want the best for them" then that is a valid option.
Girls only school they may in the future have problems communicating with males.

Divine Muse

NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Jayce Reinhardt

Girls only school they may in the future have problems communicating with males.

Communicate with them like any other person maybe?

Unless they are an alien in disguise.
Jayce Reinhardt
NewtonsFlamingLaserSword
Jayce Reinhardt

Communicate with them like any other person maybe?

Unless they are an alien in disguise.
Its sort of like how neighborhoods without diveristy respond less appropriately do diversity. If they arent social with males somewhere else their expectations will be skewed and their social behavior, probably from media.

Actually most would communicate with some on the net anyways so I guess its not that big of an issue.
Well this is sexist on more than 1 level.

Let's exclude males because females aren't interested in certain things and males are cocky little assholes that think they are brilliant with D grades in math and females have a tendency to think incredibly negatively about their abilities.

If they are worried about female interest in certain scientific fields there is no reason they can't create workshops for the boys in fields dominated by women. You know the boys have plenty of negative things about the girls being dumb and needing special treatment.

If they don't feel positive about their feelings, their parents should do something.

Goddamn public education.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces