Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
Something borrowed? Bride-to-be caught Stealing $5,000 wedding dress

Wearing something borrowed is a must for any self-respecting bride on her wedding day.

But one woman appears to have taken things too far after allegedly stealing a $5k wedding dress.

The ‘Bridal Bandit’, her three-year-old daughter and six friends went into a New Jersey boutique where they pretended they were there to try on a number of gowns.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
The stolen dress

Police say that the woman then suddenly walked out whilst clutching one of the most expensive in the store: A Ysa Makino designer strapless, floor-length gown with extensive beading across the chest.

CCTV pictures showed the bizarre scene as the woman walked along the street in Fanwood, New Jersey, with the white dress tucked under her arm.

Trailing behind her was her daughter who struggled to keep up as the woman marched as fast as she could to get away.

Police say that the little girl could even have been used as a distraction by the woman as when they were in the store she asked if staff could go out and get some pizza for her.

When they refused, the woman’s friends are said to have stood in the way of staff whilst the bride made her getaway which wasn't noticed until two days later.

Chamroen Seng, the owner of the Seng Couture wedding dress shop, said that all of the group who came into her store were in on it.

She said: ‘We put them in the fitting room to try on. They had a kid. They had a teenager try on, to distract us.

‘The kid asked my wife to go buy pizza and go buy drink and we said, “This is a boutique store; this is not a restaurant”.

‘Six of them were back there and blocked my wife.’

Ms Seng added that even though she was insured, she wants the thief to be caught before she strikes again.

Fanwood Police Chief Richard Trigo said that perhaps the most disturbing aspect of all was that the bride paid so little attention to her daughter.

He said: ‘I guess she was more worried about stealing the dress than watching out for the child or whomever the child was’.

Anybody who knows the bride has been urged to call Fanwood police on 908 322 5000. The theft took place at 2pm on September 28.

source
That's just wrong to do for the bride to be emotion_8c

Fashionable Hunter

I bet they wouldn't have done it if the owners weren't ethnic blaugh

Bitches better get 'rested.

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
God Lord. I know some women want it to be the "perfect day," but this is stupid.

Witty Entrepreneur

7,350 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Partygoer 500
I hate mystery's but anyways, back on topic. So, she actually plans on stealing something worth $5k and not get away with it? I'd be suspicious if I were them too. I mean, a bunch of people, grouping over me, would get me to dial 911.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

English Krumpet
I hate mystery's but anyways, back on topic. So, she actually plans on stealing something worth $5k and not get away with it? I'd be suspicious if I were them too. I mean, a bunch of people, grouping over me, would get me to dial 911.

Maybe someone at the wedding will recognize the gown from the one on the news, unless everyone going is in on it as well. :C

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed

What on earth does the race card have to do with it?
Most likely this was a crime of opportunity and what made them choose that store was that - at lease from the sounds of the article - it is a small mom & pop type operation with limited staff to keep an eye on customers.

IMO a huge red flag should have been that the lady wanted her group eating cheese greasy tomato sauce red pizza and soda pop in the store while they try on $5,000 wedding dresses. On what planet does that sound like a good idea? I get that they think it was an attempt at distraction but IMO it was not even a reasonable thing to have in the store even if they brought it with them.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed

Most likely this was a crime of opportunity and what made them choose that store was that - at lease from the sounds of the article - it is a small mom & pop type operation with limited staff to keep an eye on customers.

IMO a huge red flag should have been that the lady wanted her group eating cheese greasy tomato sauce red pizza and soda pop in the store while they try on $5,000 wedding dresses. On what planet does that sound like a good idea? I get that they think it was an attempt at distraction but IMO it was not even a reasonable thing to have in the store even if they brought it with them.

Precisely that. Better opportunity to do crime! (Also, not really. Crimes of opportunity aren't premeditated, I thought, and this one is obviously premeditated.)

Remember: my parents own a small mom & pop type business and both of them are immigrants. There were times when we were selling out of the basement (that I remember. I was usually upstairs doing homework while business went on) that people would simply whisper to themselves to "take something, I'll distract them" and start saying random things they thought my parents wouldn't understand. That wouldn't have happened if we were white.

Even leaving out the anecdotes: robberies happen in ethnically-owned convenience stores, not white hipster ones even though hipsters are less likely to carry guns to defend themselves and have better products on the shelves.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

Precisely that. Better opportunity to do crime! (Also, not really. Crimes of opportunity aren't premeditated, I thought, and this one is obviously premeditated.)

Remember: my parents own a small mom & pop type business and both of them are immigrants. There were times when we were selling out of the basement (that I remember. I was usually upstairs doing homework while business went on) that people would simply whisper to themselves to "take something, I'll distract them" and start saying random things they thought my parents wouldn't understand. That wouldn't have happened if we were white.

Even leaving out the anecdotes: robberies happen in ethnically-owned convenience stores, not white hipster ones even though hipsters are less likely to carry guns to defend themselves and have better products on the shelves.

I frequently agree with you on things but your comments in this thread sound like some sort of reverse racism. Just because you are ethnic and someone stole from you does not mean they stole from you because you are ethnic. Mostly likely they stole from you because you were a tiny little business being run out of your basement which implies you had little or no security and were an easier mark. It also implies you did not have the money to pursue a big legal battle if you accused someone of stealing then had a hard time proving it in court. In short they had a better chance of getting away with it.

I've known of plenty of similar situations happening to white people who were small business owners. People not following through on their promise to make payments to my friend for her tutoring services, people switching price tags at garage sales. people stealing from the small white owned radio shack store I used to work for. (and so on) However I don't use these as proof that people were stealing from us because we are white. Low lifes with no moral compass do not care who they steal from - often even including their own 'friends'.

As to 'crime of opportunity' - I could have worded that better. I get what you are saying and I think you are right.
What I meant was they had a better opportunity of pulling off their premeditated crime at a small mom & pop store with limited staff and security. I also don't know why you think whites are less likely to be armed. I'm white. I have a carry permit. If I owned a store that was open nights or carried very expensive merchandise I would have a gun. To me it depends on the type of business not the race of the people running it.
Omg Wrong neutral

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Good grief. The things people will do for their "special" day.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

I frequently agree with you on things but your comments in this thread sound like some sort of reverse racism. Just because you are ethnic and someone stole from you does not mean they stole from you because you are ethnic. Mostly likely they stole from you because you were a tiny little business being run out of your basement which implies you had little or no security and were an easier mark. It also implies you did not have the money to pursue a big legal battle if you accused someone of stealing then had a hard time proving it in court. In short they had a better chance of getting away with it.

I've known of plenty of similar situations happening to white people who were small business owners. People not following through on their promise to make payments to my friend for her tutoring services, people switching price tags at garage sales. people stealing from the small white owned radio shack store I used to work for. (and so on) However I don't use these as proof that people were stealing from us because we are white. Low lifes with no moral compass do not care who they steal from - often even including their own 'friends'.

As to 'crime of opportunity' - I could have worded that better. I get what you are saying and I think you are right.
What I meant was they had a better opportunity of pulling off their premeditated crime at a small mom & pop store with limited staff and security. I also don't know why you think whites are less likely to be armed. I'm white. I have a carry permit. If I owned a store that was open nights or carried very expensive merchandise I would have a gun. To me it depends on the type of business not the race of the people running it.

Right. I didn't mention all the court s**t my dad had to go through last year. We're based in a plaza for pete's sake, BUT we're the only ethnically-owned business there.

There's a term for that. But whatever.

Hipster whites; the 20-35 year old adolescent types that run small joints don't usually report getting physically stolen from (interwebs always complicates things, so they do get robbed when internet revenue is involved) and are usually the type to not own guns. Hispanic and Arabic and Pakistani convenience store owners? Most likely have a gun, but are STILL robbed more frequently. I'll get a stat on this after I restart my computer.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed
David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

Right. I didn't mention all the court s**t my dad had to go through last year. We're based in a plaza for pete's sake, BUT we're the only ethnically-owned business there.

Hipster whites; the 20-35 year old adolescent types that run small joints don't usually report getting physically stolen from (interwebs always complicates things, so they do get robbed when internet revenue is involved) and are usually the type to not own guns. Hispanic and Arabic and Pakistani convenience store owners? Most likely have a gun, but are STILL robbed more frequently. I'll get a stat on this after I restart my computer.

I'll try to remain open minded to your statistics.
IMO though it has more to do with the type of store and from what I've seen at least around here a lot more of the convenience stores are run by ethnics (Asians and East Indians) than by whites so of course more of the stores owned by ethnics would get stuff stolen from them just due to the odds.

Only sort of related - Today I think I saw some Chinese people stealing from some Chinese people. lol.
I was at the Chinese buffet for lunch and I watched a Chinese family sitting in the booth across from me carefully place some sort of stainless steel travel mug with closed lid into the lady's bag. Now of course it is possible they brought their own drink but since water and tea are free and other drinks are reasonably priced my impression was they were taking some food.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

I'll try to remain open minded to your statistics.
IMO though it has more to do with the type of store and from what I've seen at least around here a lot more of the convenience stores are run by ethnics (Asians and East Indians) than by whites so of course more of the stores owned by ethnics would get stuff stolen from them just due to the odds.

Only sort of related - Today I think I saw some Chinese people stealing from some Chinese people. lol.
I was at the Chinese buffet for lunch and I watched a Chinese family sitting in the booth across from me carefully place some sort of stainless steel travel mug with closed lid into the lady's bag. Now of course it is possible they brought their own drink but since water and tea are free and other drinks are reasonably priced my impression was they were taking some food.

Oh that happens all the time. Again, because the owners are Chinese. No one tries that s**t at a Japanese restaurant because the owners are more ambiguous there (likely Hispanic, according to my dad, who was actually praising Hispanics for once. Tenacity or something; I dunno how to translate it.) The family's probably Canto (no offense to normal Cantos. But seriously. Admit it. Your family did that at least once in your childhood. Some parts of my dad's side of the family did.) and the owners would probably just roll their eyes and whisper something vaguely offensive if they saw.

Wintry Dragon

My gosh. Stellar example for the young.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas