Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

Link

Quote:
The National Football League is used to big, bruising battles. But on Friday, it announced that it was likely staying out of one of the roughest fights in Washington: the war over Obamacare.

Earlier this week, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius disclosed that the Obama administration was in talks with the sports organization to help promote the law, which enters a new phase as advocates prepare to begin enrolling millions of Americans in health insurance this fall.

One year ago today the Supreme Court found the Affordable Care Act constitutional. The new health care exchanges begin enrollment in 3 months but Obamacare is still confusing for most of us.

On Friday, Republican leaders in the Senate issued a stern warning to sports organizations not to partner with the White House on an issue marked by such “divisiveness and persistent unpopularity.”

Asked about the congressional letter, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had not made any commitment to the administration.

“We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about [the health-care law’s] implementation,” he said in an e-mail.

The NFL’s decision is the latest blow to the administration over the health-care law, which faces enormous hurdles as key portions go into effect in the coming months. Chief among the challenges is the political opposition to the law, which has persisted since its passage in 2010 despite hopes on the part of advocates that it would eventually be accepted as the law of the land.

Republicans so far have not been successful in repealing the law, though they have tried dozens of times. But they have managed to disrupt its implementation, and they are now mounting their own public relations campaign aimed at painting efforts to enroll people in health benefits under the law as politically charged.

About two dozen GOP-led states so far have declined the law’s expansion of Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance program for the poor. Even more have refused to set up their own online marketplaces for other lower-income people to get federal subsidies to buy private insurance. Republicans in Congress have also rejected efforts to devote more money to the law’s implementation.

They have blasted Sebelius for soliciting donations on behalf of Enroll America, a large nonprofit organization with ties to the White House that is spearheading much of the ground-level work on enrollment. The controversy has given pause to some potential donors to Enroll America who are wary of wading into a politically charged fight.

With Friday’s letter, Republicans are now trying to discourage large mainstream organizations from encouraging people to sign up for insurance under the law. Beginning Jan. 1, almost all Americans will be required to have insurance or face a penalty.

“It is difficult to understand why an organization like yours would risk damaging its inclusive and apolitical brand by lending its name to its promotion,” Sens. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and John Cornyn (R-Tex.) wrote in a letter to six major sports organizations, including the NFL and Major League Baseball.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
******** Failbama care.
Quote:
About two dozen GOP-led states so far have declined the law’s expansion of Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance program for the poor. Even more have refused to set up their own online marketplaces for other lower-income people to get federal subsidies to buy private insurance.

Can we ever get some Republicans in office that actually care about their people? The above is just being an a*****e.
[******** Failbama care.

How about you explain what it actually entails and why it will fail/is bad? See I've found that the VAST majority of people who don't like it have no idea how it works and what it does.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Good for the NFL for taking a stand. Maybe this will encourage others to stand up.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

How about you explain what it actually entails and why it will fail/is bad? See I've found that the VAST majority of people who don't like it have no idea how it works and what it
y2k8sm3g:0="Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

How about you explain what it actually entails and why it will fail/is bad? See I've found that the VAST majority of people who don't like it have no idea how it works and what it does.

How about you explain to me just why the ******** I should get taxed just for breathing?

Conservative Victory

I am not one who cares for sports in the slightest but I give the NFL kudos for standing strong and not promoting Obamacare. If Obamacare is suppose to be so great then why does Obama and his Health Secretary have to go through such great lengths to promote the law?

And honestly not promoting the law saves the NFL in the end. Most who watch the NFL are men and men tend to lean more strongly conservative and Republican so the backlash would have been enormous. In the end Obamacare is bad law that hopefully will be done away with in a couple of years. And I mean so bad that freaking liberal Massachusetts sent someone to Congress to try and prevent it from becoming law in the first place. Most do not like the law and most never will simple is that. This law destroys our healthcare system and makes it worse for just about everyone.
JamesWN

How about you explain what it actually entails and why it will fail/is bad? See I've found that the VAST majority of people who don't like it have no idea how it works and what it
y2k8sm3g:1="Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

How about you explain to me just why the ******** I should get taxed just for breathing?

You'd be shocked (probably not) to discover how many on the left fan club utterly ignore the costs of this program, and that it won't, as they claim, provide insurance to all poor people. Well, that's really kind of a lie, since most of those on the public tit get free health care anyway.
Who it ******** is the middle class and self employed.. Insurance premiums have ******** skyrocketed thanks to this, businesses have hired more employees and cut hours to under 29 hours a week for many employees, which is something that was only a surprise to those on the little yellow bus.
They constantly praise it. But not once can they explain how to fund it, well, other than 'make someone else pay for my s**t' again.
And from what I am hearing, NO professional sports organization is getting behind this.
Last thing? Sebellius didn't get in trouble for 'trying to get donations for the program', as this is a government program and it doesn't take donations. She got her a** in trouble for soliciting donations for Obama during the last election cycle while on official travel and engagements, which is a ******** no-no.
JamesWN

y2k8sm3g:1="Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

How about because not everything is about you but is about the country and it's people as a whole?

PS. You didn't do what I asked. In fact, you pretty much showed your ignorance about the ACA.

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
emotion_brofist

I think I'll start watching the NFL.

Kudos to them! Don't allow the government to bully them into supporting their s**t.
Only Gray
emotion_brofist

Kudos to them! Don't allow the government to bully them into supporting their s**t.

O yes, because asking them to do things showing what the bill is actually about and how to take advantage of it, which is extremely needed, is "bullying". It was a request, not bullying.
Old Blue Collar Joe
JamesWN

y2k8sm3g:2="Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

You'd be shocked (probably not) to discover how many on the left fan club utterly ignore the costs of this program, and that it won't, as they claim, provide insurance to all poor people. Well, that's really kind of a lie, since most of those on the public tit get free health care anyway.
Who it ******** is the middle class and self employed.. Insurance premiums have ******** skyrocketed thanks to this, businesses have hired more employees and cut hours to under 29 hours a week for many employees, which is something that was only a surprise to those on the little yellow bus.
They constantly praise it. But not once can they explain how to fund it, well, other than 'make someone else pay for my s**t' again.
And from what I am hearing, NO professional sports organization is getting behind this.
Last thing? Sebellius didn't get in trouble for 'trying to get donations for the program', as this is a government program and it doesn't take donations. She got her a** in trouble for soliciting donations for Obama during the last election cycle while on official travel and engagements, which is a ******** no-no.

I just love how the right bitches about cost and yet pushes for billions of dollars to be spend on deportations, a giant fence and other programs to fight illegal immigration. Honestly, it's completely hypocritical. Especially when they ignore something, the immigration bill, that will bring MORE money into the government and increase revenue as a whole. O and they also push for abortion bills that will also increase the amount of people on government programs and therefore increase spending. But no, the lefties are the ones who always want to spend money. rolleyes

Premiums sky rocketing is a complete lie. They have not.

Businesses cutting hours and hiring more is not the fault of the ACA but of businesses who care more about a large profit margin than their employees. Don't blame the White house for the actions of the 1%.

Here's a way to fund it. Stop putting so much unneeded money into defense. Do this by relying only on our own military and not these paramilitary corporations that have no oversight. More money needs to be going back to the people and not to the defense budget. We could also cut congressional salaries until the economy improves more to get them to get off their a** and actually pass a jobs bill. There are a million ways to find the money for this but the Republicans refuse to allow that to happen because they will do anything to make this fail. Which just shows, again, that the Republicans care nothing for the people of this country and only about lining their own pockets. Not that the Dems are much better but at least they actually do something.

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
Mei tsuki7
Only Gray
emotion_brofist

O yes, because asking them to do things showing what the bill is actually about and how to take advantage of it, which is extremely needed, is "bullying". It was a request, not bullying.

Just because you benefit from the government taxing people extra doesn't mean that it's good.

All it means is that you're benefiting at the expense of others. wink

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Mei tsuki7
JamesWN

y2k8sm3g:2="Mei ******** Failbama care.[/quote]

How about because not everything is about you but is about the country and it's people as a whole?

PS. You didn't do what I asked. In fact, you pretty much showed your ignorance about the ACA.

Actually I did, because the Supreme Court upheld the individual mandate because they interpreted it as a tax. (Something else Libtards lied about to get the bill through, btw)

Which again, is complete bullshit. I should not be required to buy insurance just for drawing breath.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Health care for everyone is such a great idea, if only they (as in the people who wrote the law and had the main control over its passing) had spent a touch more time thinking things through.

My company is terminating our incredible insurance at the end of September because of the taxes they'd have to pay to keep us insured under Obama's ACA. We're being shuffled to a less inclusive insurance and it sounds like we're going to have to jump through mounds of red tape to get anything done. There are even rumors that spouses will no longer be covered though children can be. If this is the grand obamacare in action I too hope it gets thrown out or restructured to actually work and be affordable under the next administration. I was a huge supporter of the IDEA but not the follow through.

I'm glad major sports are taking a stand when it comes to this mess. They have way more sway than they deserve at times but for something like this that sway can be very positive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff