13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Net Neutrality, Made sock simple
More here

Quote:
David Pogue

Net neutrality: It’s the idea that Internet providers (like Verizon and Comcast) should transmit all data equally fast for equal prices. It’s been that way as long as the Internet has existed. But now the Internet providers would like to change things.

They point out that Netflix, YouTube, and BitTorrent are eating up the nation’s bandwidth in a hugely lopsided way. Netflix alone, for example, is responsible for eating up 34 percent of the nation’s Internet capacity. The Internet providers think the companies that use a lot of data should therefore pay more for fast, smooth delivery of their Internet traffic.

Netflix, in fact, finally caved in to Comcast’s demands that it pay extra. And, lo and behold, Netflix shows have been arriving with fewer stutters now that it has started paying up.

In this week’s “Ask Pogue” video, I’ve invited a couple of special guests to explain the stances of both sides, and to explain where the FCC is in the process of deciding the issue. Enjoy — and, more importantly, understand.

The video is stupid beyond reason, but this article points out exactly what's going to happen. ComCast all but destroyed Netflix's connection back in October in order to force them to sign a new contract that would put an axe in Net Neutrality, and lo and behold! Suddenly the internet connection was faster and our shows quit breaking out! I'm about 95% sure they're doing the same thing to Hulu right now because my connection has been getting shittier this month.

Forcing people to pay more for the same internet speed? That's a douchebag thing to do.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
They may pay more for the same speed, but they use much more bandwidth. Seems fair to me.

Ferocious Browser

I find two possible items wrong with this:

First, the possibility, as already proven, of the internet providers to abuse this system. They can throttle little guys they don't agree with, but they can do the same to extort money from those they know have it.

Which leads to number 2: companies never eat their own losses. All added costs from Netflix and Hulu and whatever will trickle down to the consumer in added fees and subscriptions. This part is the most bullshit part of all because I already pay for internet on my own. I pay for internet, then I pay for Netflix, and now I pay for Netflix's internet ******** you Comcast.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
These telecoms should be regulated into the ground by We the People. No fast lanes, no "network optimization," no copyright enforcement. Their only job is to deliver us highspeed Internet and let us kick up our heels and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff