Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
4-year-old girl's family sued over pink playhouse

The backyard playhouse of a 4-year-old girl in Georgia has drawn a lawsuit for being too pink.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A woman in Augusta, Ga., is being sued by the homeowners association of her Mill Haven neighborhood over the color of a pink playhouse that she built in the backyard for her granddaughter this past Christmas. Becky Rogers-Peck believes the lawsuit, which is the culmination of months of arguments over the structure, is the height of frivolity. The homeowners association has stated that it has no problem with the playhouse itself, but wants the color of it changed after complaints by neighbors. The association claims that Rogers-Peck had to have the color approved by the association’s board before she could paint it pink.

“The general reaction is, ‘Are you kidding me?’’’ Rogers-Peck told TODAY.com. “They’re suing you over a pink playhouse?’ They're policing us like we're in a communist country, and it's just ridiculous. Every once in a while, you’ve got to stand your ground.’’

"Part of the approval is the color," Susan Bradley, HOA president, told NBC’s Augusta affiliate, WMBF. "We didn't disapprove of the play house. We disapproved of the color of it."

Rogers-Peck’s contention is that the playhouse does not fall under the definition of a backyard structure like a shed or a garage that would be subject to the association’s rules, so she can paint it any color she wants. Pink is the favorite color of her granddaughter, Aubree, and the playhouse cannot be seen from the street in front of the house.

“I totally agree with the rules if it’s a shed or a garage, but I consider this play equipment like a trampoline or a swingset,’’ Rogers-Peck said. “Originally, I was just going to buy a Little Tikes Playhouse, and what would have been the difference? I would venture to say 90 percent of people I've had contact with, through messages, emails, or comments on websites, think this is absurd as you can get.”

The dispute has been ongoing since April, according to Rogers-Peck. At a meeting of the board of directors for the homeowners association, the issue of the pink-colored playhouse was brought up as new business. Even though the structure was already built and painted, the board said they would not approve it because of the color.
“I said, ‘It’s a little 4-year-old girl’s playhouse, what other color would I make it?’’’ Rogers-Peck said.

Rogers-Peck was a member of the board at the time, but has since been removed.

“I had said, ‘I quit,’ and they kicked me off the board anyway,’’ she said.
Rogers-Peck attended a meeting of the HOA on Tuesday night to plead her case. The board is currently in the process of electing members, but ballots have not been sent out yet, according to Rogers-Peck. Bradley told WJBF TV that the ballots will be mailed out in the next few days.

“If you don’t like the way we’re doing business, elect a new board,’’ Bradley said at the meeting.

Rogers-Peck has 30 days from the day she was served to answer the lawsuit, which could potentially be dropped if a new board is elected and has a change of heart. There are six members voted on to the board and one standing member who previously owned the land on which the development was built. However, if a new board is not elected in that time frame, a judge in the Columbia County Superior Court could order her to paint the playhouse a different color.

“I can’t afford an attorney, and I was told by an attorney not to go (to court) by yourself,’’ Rogers-Peck said. “I’m just asking for somebody to help me put a stop to this nonsense.’’
The development contains 30 houses, and Rogers-Peck said that 10 neighbors have given her the right to vote in their place in the board elections. Rogers-Peck also claims that there are numerous violations of association rules that can be found at other homes, like leaving trash cans or air-conditioning units uncovered. She believes that it has come down to the complaints of her next-door neighbor and one other neighbor and that Bradley is caught in the middle.

“I honestly don't know if [Bradley] has a problem with it,’’ Rogers-Peck said. “She is doing this because the other directors had told her to as the president. I don't think she would have gone as far as a lawsuit.’’

"I personally would have never done anything, if I hadn’t gotten formal complaints,’’ Bradley said at Tuesday’s meeting.

Little Aubree is aware of all the furor surrounding her backyard playhouse.

“She knows exactly what's going on, and she is very upset about it,’’ Rogers-Peck said. “She is scared they might make us tear it down.’’

source

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
yeah sue that 4 year olds family!! how dare she have a pink playhouse UGH the nerves of that woman. the color pink is so offensive, the sight of it makes me want to barf :'C waah

(( this was by far the STUPIDEST thing i have read on the internet this week, i'm sure the courts will have a good LOLz at this ))

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

It looks like a lovely playhouse with a nice shade of pink to me.
I also think the jackass(es) suing are just jealous they never had a nice playhouse like the girl does.>>;

Ferocious Browser

the pink isnt even that intense....

its like a pastel.

wtf HOAs.

from all the news posted in this forum about HOAs they seem to be the pettiest, most lifeless people on earth.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
The only thing here that strikes me as ridiculous is the fool who bought a house in a neighborhood with an HOA and who now feels she is exempt from the association's rules. Screw her and the ugly pink structure.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille

its like a pastel.

wtf HOAs.

from all the news posted in this forum about HOAs they seem to be the pettiest, most lifeless people on earth.
Ever lived next-door to trash? HOAs are designed to prevent trashy people from living in a neighborhood, or to change their ways of living. Rogers-Peck counts as one of those "petty, lifeless people" as she was on the HOA board until they refused to accommodate her rule-breaking behaviour.

Ferocious Browser

Ratttking
Eveille

its like a pastel.

wtf HOAs.

Ever lived next-door to trash? HOAs are designed to prevent trashy people from living in a neighborhood, or to change their ways of living. Rogers-Peck counts as one of those "petty, lifeless people" as she was on the HOA board until they refused to accommodate her rule-breaking behaviour.

No i haven't, despite never having lived in a place with an HOA. We seem to know how to behave ourselves without some overriding authority being up our asses about every little detail. Fancy that.

And yes she was on the board, but it seems the board doesn't enforce all rules equally anyway.

HimeKeesho's Wife

Wow! They have issues!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
All the more reason why I will never ever EVER live in an HOA controlled community! Those people are ******** nuts!

I have a feeling the case is going to be thrown out though.

Kawaii Shoujo

Having a lawsuit against a little four year old girl's cute playhouse is beyond absurd... those people if you can call them that are ridiculous and are cruel on intending to harass all because of they don't care for the color.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eveille
Ratttking
Eveille

its like a pastel.

wtf HOAs.

No i haven't, despite never having lived in a place with an HOA. We seem to know how to behave ourselves without some overriding authority being up our asses about every little detail. Fancy that.

And yes she was on the board, but it seems the board doesn't enforce all rules equally anyway.
Lucky you. We had trash living next door to us for several years until they spent all of their injury settlement cash. They chopped down all the ancient trees on the land to put in an above-ground pool (complete with beer-themed accessories!), left their poor barking dog tied up in the backyard without food or water (she could drink from the pool) year-round, forcing me to regularly called the SPCA on them, they finally took her, ran mini-bikes at all hours of the day and night, and started problems with everyone they met. Neighbors on 2 sides of them put up spite fences to not have to see their crap, but the noise was constant.

Indeed, and they should get on the ball about enforcing all of the rules, starting with obnoxiously-colored backyard structures.
If it is not necessary to file a lawsuit
Then it is necessary that you NOT file that lawsuit.

Fashionable Hunter

Haha, thank god!

I ******** hate the color pink wink

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I have seen this so many times.

I could make a checklist.

If I presented a checklist from these in the past where more is going on then we know about, this right here meets all but one thing on that checklist. That last thing is she didn't pull the " My neighbors do violations with their cars" thing.

So based on the other times I have seen with this combo, I would say they were already planning to remove her from the board and she was already bickering with members of the board about things.

Now, if they weren't clearly fighting and had other motivations behind things... she would just repaint the playhouse.

I hope that structure was held as important to her and her family as a garage or shed, because her Granddaughter will be spending time in there. stare ...or has she even let the girl inside.

Interesting Informer

this just gos to show how truely stupid people are now a days

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas