Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Mother plans lawsuit after video of her daughter assaulting pro-life teen goes viral

Quote:
“That is not what a fetus looks like,” Duran screams in the video. “It’s a clump of cells at 12 weeks. It does not look like that! It’s a clump of blank cells. You’re a racist f—ing male that doesn’t stand for women’s rights!” She then violently kicked over the poster, and when she realized she was being filmed, physically assaulted the person holding the camera and started running down the street, kicking over another poster as she fled.

Life

Quote:
"It irritates me that they are trying to make themselves be victims when they are hardly that if you're a victim you don't sensationalize it," said Carter.

Carter says her daughter has been harassed at work. The family installed a home protection system. "On top of emotional distress all the excess things that have to do that have come out of pocket for me to be able to protect my children because of what the've done." said Carter.

Fox

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

I think lying and spreading misinformation is a lot more dangerous than kicking over a stupid sign.
Move along, people.
Holidazed
Mother plans lawsuit after video of her daughter assaulting pro-life teen goes viral

Quote:
“That is not what a fetus looks like,” Duran screams in the video. “It’s a clump of cells at 12 weeks. It does not look like that! It’s a clump of blank cells. You’re a racist f—ing male that doesn’t stand for women’s rights!” She then violently kicked over the poster, and when she realized she was being filmed, physically assaulted the person holding the camera and started running down the street, kicking over another poster as she fled.

Life

Quote:
"It irritates me that they are trying to make themselves be victims when they are hardly that if you're a victim you don't sensationalize it," said Carter.

Carter says her daughter has been harassed at work. The family installed a home protection system. "On top of emotional distress all the excess things that have to do that have come out of pocket for me to be able to protect my children because of what the've done." said Carter.

Fox

She assaulted people. End of conversation. In a public venue, no less, which erases any possible claim of 'right to privacy'. Filming people in a public area is completely and utterly legal and has been. It's already passed the sniff test.
Maybe if she'd have done a better job as a parent and not raised a violent c**t she wouldn't be in this situation.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Loyal Assassin Jafar
I think lying and spreading misinformation is a lot more dangerous than kicking over a stupid sign.
Move along, people.

We can not allow freedom of speech to be literally attacked.
Holidazed
Loyal Assassin Jafar
Move along, people.

There was no lying or misinformation. They were showing an image of what those cells become. The lie is denying the reality of that.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Things the original post is missing:

Duren is Autistic

Duren is yelling on the video that they cannot record her without her permission.

The cameras are shoved in her face, so she is cussing them out for shoving cameras in their face AND demanding they not record her and saying they cannot record her without her permission.

In the videos, she attempts to full out run away from them because they keep going in her face. They chase her to continue to record her. Which means they were harassing her.

No, you cannot record and share video of a stranger after they verbally tell you you do not have permission. Hell, you are supposed to get permission in the first place. I have tried not to get people on video in public places because of this.

I am not clear where this was happening. They were following her around, harassing her, and trapping her between them. So I don't even know when or where this started. If this started at a medical facility then they may have been breaking some laws.

BTW, I have been in situations where people were hitting my face and hurt my eyes with things. You have natural reflexes to fight to get irritating and painful things out of you face to begin with. With how these people were harassing her and I could hear them making contact with her as they got in her face, I am not one bit surprised she lashed out at their equipment.

I do not know all the details. I only have the details I read and what little clips were shown. A civilian damaging a protest sign is not illegal. Just don't use anything you want to keep forever and bring extras. From what I could see when it comes to people holding recording devices, the people holding the recording devices were in the wrong.

Attempt to never harm a protestor... Unless they are hurting someone physically, trapping someone physical, obstructing an entry, or convicted. Feel free to counter protest. If you want to mess with someone or you are being dragged into a protest against your will, feel free to protest all wrong.

User Image

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Sailor Tin Nyanko
Things the original post is missing.

Duren is Autistic

Duren is yelling on the video that they cannot record her without her permission.

The cameras are shoved in her face, so she is cussing them out for shoving cameras in their face AND demanding they not record her and saying they cannot record her without her permission.

In the videos, she attempts to full out run away from them because they keep going in her face. They chase her to continue to record her. Which means they were harassing her.

No, you cannot record and share video of a stranger after they verbally tell you you do not have permission. Hell, you are supposed to get permission in the first place. I have tried not to get people on video in public places because of this.

I am not clear where this was happening. They were following her around, harassing her, and trapping her between them. So I don't even know when or where this started. If this started at a medical facility then they may have been breaking some laws.

BTW, I have been in situations where people were hitting my face and hurt my eyes with things. You have natural reflexes to fight to get irritating and painful things out of you face to begin with. With how these people were harassing her and I could hear them making contact with her as they got in her face, I am not one bit surprised she lashed out.

I do not know all the details. I only have the details I read and what little clips were shown. A civilian damaging a protest sign is not illegal. Just don't use anything you want to keep forever and bring extras. From what I could see when it comes to people holding recording devises, the people holding the recording devises were in the wrong.

Attempt to never harm a protestor... Unless they are hurting someone physically, trapping someone physical, obstructing an entry, or convicted. Feel free to counter protest. If you want to mess with someone or you are being dragged into a protest against your will, feel free to protest all wrong.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yes the original post is missing the news story thats why the links are there.
They did not start video taping until she started getting aggressive with them and accusing them of being liars, racists, and sexists.

She did not just damage signs but she physically assaulted them (teenagers(which i dont think they should be there but thats a different story))

In the second video she pushes one of them into the bus.

They only started harrasing video taping her after she attacked their sign and became aggressive.

And destroying a sign may be vandalism i believe.

Im not sure if shes autistic my guess would be if she is shes on the spectrum ( which i am too)

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Holidazed
Sailor Tin Nyanko

Duren is Autistic

BTW, I have been in situations where people were hitting my face and hurt my eyes with things. You have natural reflexes to fight to get irritating and painful things out of you face to begin with. With how these people were harassing her and I could hear them making contact with her as they got in her face, I am not one bit surprised she lashed out.

I do not know all the details. I only have the details I read and what little clips were shown. A civilian damaging a protest sign is not illegal. Just don't use anything you want to keep forever and bring extras. From what I could see when it comes to people holding recording devises, the people holding the recording devises were in the wrong.

They did not start video taping until she started getting aggressive with them and accusing them of being liars, racists, and sexists.

She did not just damage signs but she physically assaulted them (teenagers(which i dont think they should be there but thats a different story))

They only started harrasing video taping her after she attacked their sign and became aggressive.

Im not sure if shes autistic my guess would be if she is shes on the spectrum ( which i am too)

They had her trapped in a bus stop in one of the video clips I saw. In order to leave, she may have had to push people. However, she was also stationary at times and the person with the camera was pushing into her. (I wondered if she was even trying to get on the bus and they wouldn't let her escape onto the bus).

She's been Autistic since 1989 according to the records they showed. Way back when there wasn't an Autism spectrum and it was difficult to get a diagnoses.

Damaging a Protest Sign does not fall under vandalism. The sign would have to be on a Billboard for it to fall under vandalism.

Incase anyone reading this is not clear what a Billboard is... this is a Billboard.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Sailor Tin Nyanko
Holidazed
Sailor Tin Nyanko

Duren is Autistic

They had her trapped in a bus stop in one of the video clips I saw. In order to leave, she may have had to push people. However, she was also stationary at times and the person with the camera was pushing into her. (I wondered if she was even trying to get on the bus and they wouldn't let her escape onto the bus).

She's been Autistic since 1989 according to the records they showed. Way back when there wasn't an Autism spectrum and it was difficult to get a diagnoses.

Damaging a Protest Sign does not fall under vandalism. The sign would have to be on a Billboard for it to fall under vandalism.

Incase anyone reading this is not clear what a Billboard is... this is a Billboard.

This victim blaming is unreal,
part 1 of video
first 25seconds is her slandering them, yelling at them and damaging their property.

Then they are following her to videotape her and calling the police until about the 46 mark when she turns around and hits the camera and them. From that point on she is left alone and gets on the bus when two cops come and one of them asks her to get off.

video part 2
Here i dont like that hes this close but she still has no right to push him into the bus.

i wasn't sure if it was vandalism ill take your work that its not. But you cant go around damaging other peoples property.

I actually do feel sorry for this woman but she is not the victim.

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

Holidazed
Loyal Assassin Jafar
Move along, people.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the excuse to be an a*****e, lie or put others in danger.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Loyal Assassin Jafar
Holidazed
Loyal Assassin Jafar
Move along, people.

Freedom of speech doesn't give you the excuse to be an a*****e, lie or put others in danger.

Actually freedom of speech does give you the excuse to be an a*****e in a verbal tone and through speech. It also allows me to lie if i want to. But you are right that it doesn't allow people to put others in danger(in most cases). These teenagers weren't doing any of those things, although at the end i felt he was little to close but nothing terrible.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Assault is assault. End of story

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Sailor Tin Nyanko

Duren is Autistic

The ******** does she have High-functioning autism

I saw no impairment in social interaction in that entire video she is acting as a neurotypical would.

The very act of doing that rant in the first place is a huge red flag.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sailor Tin Nyanko
Holidazed
Sailor Tin Nyanko

Duren is Autistic

You have some amazingly misinformed views about laws in the United States.
If you choose to spew any more falsehoods please provide a supporting link to the alleged "law" you are referring to.
And since I asked for links as a courtesy I will provide links for what I am saying to you.

Right to photograph / video -
In the United States it is legal to photograph any object or person that is in public. You do not need their consent. Using the image(s) for commercial (for profit) purposes is different but you don't need permission just to photo / video people.
ACLU - Know Your Rights: Photographers

Audio Recording -
They did NOT need the woman's permission to record her voice either. In SOME states you do but in most if there is no expectation of privacy you do not. Ohio is a one party consent state meaning even in private conversations people can record phone calls, etc. as long as one party (typically the person doing the recording) consents to it.
Ohio Recording Law

Vandalism -
You may be partially correct here if the actual charge was vandalism.
Under Ohio law vandalism requires damage of $1,000 or more and is a felony. Note that it doesn't have to be a 'billboard'. It could be $1,000 worth of protester signs.
It seems probable she should have been charged with 'criminal damaging' or 'criminal mischief' - both of which involve damage to other people's property but are varying degrees of misdemeanors , not felonies.
Ohio Law - Chapter 2909: ARSON AND RELATED OFFENSES

Not letting her go -
It is debatable whether or not it is valid to say they trapped her and would not let her go. But let's go with that for the sake of the argument.
Ohio law allows for a citizen's arrest in cases where the person being arrested has committed a felony. Citizens Arrest
She was apparently charged with a felony (the vandalism) but from the information given in the article it sounds like she is only guilty of misdemeanors. I was reading the Ohio assault laws and it sounds like in her case it would have been a misdemeanor not a felony.
Ohio Law - 2903.13 Assault.

So IF the crowd detained her while waiting for the cops, they may have done so illegally.
On the other hand the article says when she saw the cops coming she jumped on a bus. So personally I don't buy the "crowd would not let her go" thing. A group of people could have physically detained one girl if they had actually been trying to do that.

Autism =/= "get out of jail free"
I'm not even going to try to link to this on. Or you could argue I already have. Go back and read the links I gave you for the vandalism / criminal damage / assault laws. Try to find me the part where it says, "...unless you are some version of a nutter then these laws do not apply to you".

Having some form of mental incapacity does NOT make you immune from the law.
If a person does have diminished capacity this is usually taken into account in the sentencing phase. I know people pretty much all across the ASD spectrum - autism, Aspergers, dyslexia. They all have issues to varying degrees. Sometimes they act inappropriately but none of them are out in public assaulting people. What this mother is basically claiming is, "My daughter has mental health issues that make her unable to control herself and thus she is a danger to others". That is typically grounds for being placed in an institution. I'm guessing Mommy doesn't want that and doesn't really think her daughter is that out of control. It is just a convenient excuse to claim "victim" for a person who is in fact the attacker.

Mom also likely contributed to her daughter's reaction if her own venomous words are indicative of how she talks about pro life around the house.

“I actually went on their website and I saw the MOST horrendous of things [sic]. These people are using an intro of MLK's ‘I have a dream speech’

Hyperbole much? The holocaust or dropping nuclear bombs on Japan might be in the running for "MOST horrendous" but using a video clip out of context? No, not so much.

Personally I hope she gets counter sued for frivolous lawsuit
Also, had she been more contrite and politely stated her case to the assault / damage victims about her daughter's condition there is probably a good chance they would have dropped the charges against her daughter. Instead she pours gasoline on the fire by suing them. Possibly she is basing her stance on her obvious ignorance - "..claiming her daughter is autistic and therefore can’t be blamed for her actions.".

PS - Bonus lulz for attacker thinking "pro-life" = "racist" smile

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
I think something is funny is going on in the telling of this story. For some reason only highly conservative new sources (Fox and Lifesite) seem to be giving much details about it when I look up the names of the people so I am not sure how accurate the information is. ABC gives vague information but not much really-say the charges against the girl were dropped, the lawsuit is for emotional distress and barely mentions the autism at all. http://abc6onyourside.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/mother-woman-attacked-prolife-activists-plans-sue-34643.shtml#.VAjAPmPDt7m

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff