Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A Texas mother who grew frustrated with her 2-year-old daughter's slow progress in potty training faces life in prison today for gluing the girl's hands to a wall and beating her, leaving her in a coma.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, pleaded guilty in July to injury to a child for the 2011 incident in which she was accused of kicking the girl in the stomach, hitting her, and gluing her hands to a wall, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA.

The girl was in a coma for two days and in the hospital for a week. Dr. Amy Barton, a former pediatrician who treated the girl, testified at the sentencing hearing today.

"This was one of the most shocking cases I have ever seen," she said, crying, according to WFAA.

The prosecution showed photos of the injured girl and the "extensive" bruising to her body.

"I have no comment and only God can judge me. That's all I got to say," Escalona said in July, after entering her plea.

Escalona could be to sentenced to life in prison, but is also eligible for deferred adjudication, in which she will not have a criminal conviction, according to the Associated Press.

The girl and the woman's other children have been placed with a relative and are in the care of Child Protective Services.

read on

Greedy Consumer

she is 23, obviously not ready for a child. Not to mention she is this generation, she could be very inadept at the responsibilities set for her, I wonder where the dad is, or was she foolish enough to raise the child by herself.

except she is from texas... so.. might not apply, but she has multiple children. If she is single somehtign was bound to happen raising that many kids.
Quote:
"I have no comment and only God can judge me. That's all I got to say," Escalona said in July, after entering her plea.

I'm sure God would give her a worse sentence than the court can.
What the hell is wrong with parents today?! I mean one gives birth to a child and chokes it to death and another puts it in a coma.

I fear for the next child born, this woman deserves life in prison!

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
We Are Organisms
she is 23, obviously not ready for a child. Not to mention she is this generation, she could be very inadept at the responsibilities set for her, I wonder where the dad is, or was she foolish enough to raise the child by herself.

except she is from texas... so.. might not apply, but she has multiple children. If she is single somehtign was bound to happen raising that many kids.

How does being 23 make it 'obvious' she isn't old enough to be a parent?
I was a parent at 24 and a pretty good one and even if I had a kid at age 12 I'd still know enough not to beat it into a coma. There is hella lot wrong with this woman other than her age.

@ article -
" could be to sentenced to life in prison, but is also eligible for deferred adjudication, in which she will not have a criminal conviction"

Really? Could be life or could be no criminal conviction at all? That's quite a spread.

Sparkly Lunatic

This just,
Wow.

I don't believe that 'frustrated' would begin to describe the emotions it must have taken to beat a two year old into a coma after gluing her hands to the wall. Rage sounds better, but I suppose that's just me playing semantics.

On the other hand, judging from the article alone it sounds like there might be some very unfortunate anger management issues at play here, in which case I hope this woman receives counselling for it, sometime in her life, so she can learn to deal with this rage in a less...
Well.

I'm likewise assuming (huzzah for assuming!) that this is the reason why she may not receive a criminal conviction. Perhaps they're going with the insanity plea or something but I'm really not sure how that works.

Though maybe some jail time could do this woman some good. Geeze.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
We Are Organisms

Since when does age imply maturity? I'm 23, personally it's all in that lady's state of mind and not her age. She better get a criminal conviction.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
David2074
We Are Organisms

I was a parent at 24 and a pretty good one and even if I had a kid at age 12 I'd still know enough not to beat it into a coma. There is hella lot wrong with this woman other than her age.

@ article -
" could be to sentenced to life in prison, but is also eligible for deferred adjudication, in which she will not have a criminal conviction"

Really? Could be life or could be no criminal conviction at all? That's quite a spread.

Since she's not showing any remorse and doesn't accept that she did anything wrong, I really doubt she'll get deferred adjudication. This woman deserves a long sentence, if only to keep her away from the kids until they're grown up.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
David2074
We Are Organisms

@ article -

Since she's not showing any remorse and doesn't accept that she did anything wrong, I really doubt she'll get deferred adjudication. This woman deserves a long sentence, if only to keep her away from the kids until they're grown up.

Agreed. IMO to do something like that you have to be either be criminally minded or, to use the technical term, 'nuts'. If the latter then maybe confinement in an institution but either way 'locked up' and away from people she can hurt.

If the story were that she hit her once and said it was an accident and was remorseful I'd think - okay 'bad' but maybe it was an accident or the kid fell and hit her head or something. But to glue the kid's hands to the wall AND beat her all about her body to cause extensive bruising and a coma AND show no remorse for it?? Sorry lady - that's premeditated and you are either criminally evil or a psycho nutter or maybe both and you don't deserve to walk among us. There is likely something in this woman's past that contributed to her actions but it still no excuse for them.

Fashionable Hunter

*headdesk*

Why is sterilization wrong again? Nazis? Whatever man, just do it before it's too late. Again.

Dapper Spotter

How about we glue this mother to her jail cell wall for her life sentence. Should be fitting.
We Are Organisms

It's obvious this woman has a psychological/emotional defect that has nothing to do with when she was born.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why is PBJ even considered as a possibility for this...thing?

Clean Member

WOW!!! thats just horrible that mother is sick and obviusly has something wrong with her she deff deserves what she gets maybey even more!!! thats just not right!!! scream cry

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pink Panzer
Quote:

I'm sure God would give her a worse sentence than the court can.

I imagine God would give her the finger and send her to Hell. rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces