Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Man-Lover

User Image

Jennifer Tyrrell and her 7-year-old son have had many rewarding experiences with the Boy Scouts of America, but their participation in the national organization came to an end because she is gay, and the group does not allow open or avowed homosexuals in their membership.

Tyrrell learned the news on April 10. The loss has been devastating.

“We were like a family, so in essence … we lost our scouting family, but they also lost two members of their scouting family,” the former Tiger Cubs den leader from Bridgeport, Ohio, told msnbc.com, at points breaking down into tears.

“The best time in our lives we’ve had in the last year, it’s gone … because we can’t be scouts any more. I can’t stop crying,” she later added.

Tyrrell, a 32-year-old stay at home mother of four, said she agreed to become the den master on the day she signed up her son, Cruz Burns, for the local troop, last year. She had concerns about the Boy Scouts' policy against homosexuals, but a Cubmaster said that – locally -- they wouldn’t have problem.

“He said they would stand, you know, hand in hand with us and stand behind us all the way. Well, actually, that's been true,” she said. “I've never had a problem.”

Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith said Tyrrell was removed from the program for being in violation of the national policy regarding homosexuals.

“This policy was understood by her and her fellow volunteers, but not followed, upon her registering in the program,” he wrote in an email to msnbc.com.

Tyrrell said she would still be at home, crying on the couch, if her friends hadn’t encouraged her to hold a protest in town against her dismissal and start a campaign online to seek changes to the Boy Scouts policy. That petition has garnered more than 170,000 signatures

The Boy Scouts’ policy became a focus of the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000, when the justices sided with the organization in a lawsuit involving a former Assistant Scoutmaster who was gay, citing the protections of the First Amendment.

“Scouting, and the majority of parents it serves, does not believe it is the right forum for children to become aware of the issue of sexual orientation, or engage in discussions about being gay. Rather, such complex matters should be discussed with parents, caregivers, or spiritual advisers, at the appropriate time and in the right setting,” Smith said. “We fully understand and appreciate that not everyone will agree with any one position or policy.”

But Tyrrell said sexual orientation wasn’t a topic until her dismissal. The children just knew that Cruz had two moms, but there was no further discussion about sexuality.

She also questioned the timing of the revoking of her membership, claiming that as the recently-appointed treasurer, she was trying to iron out some financial discrepancies – and was going to formally make her queries at a meeting the day she was removed.

“She did raise question about the local unit’s finances, however her removal from the program was solely for being in violation of national policy,” Smith wrote.

Tyrrell said she will continue to push for changes at the Boy Scouts and called on them to take “the high road” and change their policy to include “all Americans.”

“… because we’re just people,” she said. “We’re just gay people who love their kids.”

Link if you want to read

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I can see two sides on this. sure she should be allowed to be part of the group. If a lesiban is a boy scout leader I wouldn't worry. I be more afriad she be eyeing the girl scouts. she did however know about homosexual policy and she should have heeding it and help changed the policy. She and other member should all be disbanned not just her for breaking that lil rule.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

xdivision_whitey
I can see two sides on this. sure she should be allowed to be part of the group. If a lesiban is a boy scout leader I wouldn't worry. I be more afriad she be eyeing the girl scouts. she did however know about homosexual policy and she should have heeding it and help changed the policy. She and other member should all be disbanned not just her for breaking that lil rule.

Why would she be eyeing the girl scouts? Lesbians aren't *****. confused

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Kaiba the Revenge
xdivision_whitey

One would never know. But It always my fear that someone is eyeing my kid. I'm paranoid like that. I even get uneasy when the local mutt eyes my dog.
The Boy scouts have been open about this for years now its nothing new. I think it even went to court or that might have just been on south park. Start your own like it and get over it.

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
We need a NEW Boy/Girl Scouts org...

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
razorsarz
The Boy scouts have been open about this for years now its nothing new. I think it even went to court or that might have just been on south park. Start your own like it and get over it.
We need new groups over all.
razorsarz

Alright.
Straight people aren't welcome though. Because you breeder ******** are disgusting and sexist ******** who are all that's wrong with the world.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
[Castration Pop]
razorsarz

Alright.
Straight people aren't welcome though. Because you breeder ******** are disgusting and sexist ******** who are all that's wrong with the world.
Yes and we are making the kids you so want!
xdivision_whitey
[Castration Pop]
razorsarz

Alright.
Yes and we are making the kids you so want!

I can live with putting salsa on my scrambled eggs instead of my patented ground children meat migas.

Tipsy Fatcat

7,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
xdivision_whitey
Kaiba the Revenge
xdivision_whitey

One would never know. But It always my fear that someone is eyeing my kid. I'm paranoid like that. I even get uneasy when the local mutt eyes my dog.
An overwhelming majority of ***** (and people with other paraphilias) are male . So yeah, I wouldn't worry about a mom (who happens to be a lesbian) that wants to spend time with her child.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Seems odd, as she herself is not the Scout.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
iTrendy
xdivision_whitey
Kaiba the Revenge
xdivision_whitey

An overwhelming majority of ***** (and people with other paraphilias) are male . So yeah, I wouldn't worry about a mom (who happens to be a lesbian) that wants to spend time with her child.

Her... SON, no less. I mean, geeze!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces