Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Alexander J Luthor
Umbral_Necropolitan
Alexander J Luthor
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. I'd believe it. Because who would rather believe that a mom would beat the s**t out of her kid for a lawsuit? You can't get that much damage from falling off a slide unless that b***h was 20 feet tall and a winder and you hit eeeevery side on the way down.
If the mother is to be believed the lil girl was kicked in the face repeatedly before falling off the slide. I can understand wanting medical check ups but how fast she is going after it raises red flags to me.

I'm assuming that lil' girl is high the way she can smile with a bashed up face like that. I don't want this to be fake thooooooough.

https://www.facebook.com/justice4ava/photos_stream

She smiling because she got a toy

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Alexander J Luthor

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. I'd believe it. Because who would rather believe that a mom would beat the s**t out of her kid for a lawsuit? You can't get that much damage from falling off a slide unless that b***h was 20 feet tall and a winder and you hit eeeevery side on the way down.
Geez, was she beaten by a fifth grader? No five-year-old could possibly do that much damage to a kid the same age. And no wonder she doesn't want to go back to school.

The teachers at that school are in serious denial and don't realize that denying something that actually happened may be more likely to lead to a law suit than admitting it happened. Or at least it would be way worse. Schools should really be more concerned about the well-being of their students.

Tipsy Smoker

Honey of the South
Alexander J Luthor
Geez, was she beaten by a fifth grader? No five-year-old could possibly do that much damage to a kid the same age. And no wonder she doesn't want to go back to school.
The teachers at that school are in serious denial and don't realize that denying something that actually happened may be more likely to lead to a law suit than admitting it happened. Or at least it would be way worse. Schools should really be more concerned about the well-being of their students.
If another child did it they need to find out so that child can be KEPT AWAY FROM OTHER KIDS.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alexander J Luthor

Of course you could get that much damage.
A good blow to the center of the face that causes both eyes to go black can look super ugly and appear a lot worse than it is. I'm not trying to diagnose the kid from a single photo but if you fell off a slide and face planted into the ground you sure as heck could end up looking like that. If you happened to faceplant a step on the way down all the more so.

Some kids even die from short falls.
It's boring reading but see page three of this PDF for a chart showing kids who have died from fatal head injuries after short falls. Kids older than her (10, 12, 13) have died from falls of less than 6 feet from a swing. So, I'd argue that 'bruised face' is entirely doable from a slide with or without kicking. Fatal Pediatric Head Injuries Caused by Short Distance Falls

The mother might not be lying but the photos don't prove anything one way or the other.
I also find it interesting the police say they are not investigating. That suggests that either they do not find the mother's story credible or possibly that they don't think she is lying but they have zero place to start with an investigation. Though, if the latter you'd think they would at least ask around at the school a bit.

In this day and age you'd think there would be some security cameras filming the playground - especially the equipment kids climb on. If not for crimes then just to cover their butts for injury liability type issues. A video from a distance might not identify the alleged kicker but it would likely at least show if there was one.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Glorious Leader Luna
Alexander J Luthor
Umbral_Necropolitan
Alexander J Luthor

If the mother is to be believed the lil girl was kicked in the face repeatedly before falling off the slide. I can understand wanting medical check ups but how fast she is going after it raises red flags to me.

I'm assuming that lil' girl is high the way she can smile with a bashed up face like that. I don't want this to be fake thooooooough.

https://www.facebook.com/justice4ava/photos_stream

She smiling because she got a toy
Awwww, some of those pictures!! emotion_bandaid

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
Alexander J Luthor

A good blow to the center of the face that causes both eyes to go black can look super ugly and appear a lot worse than it is. I'm not trying to diagnose the kid from a single photo but if you fell off a slide and face planted into the ground you sure as heck could end up looking like that. If you happened to faceplant a step on the way down all the more so.

It's boring reading but see page three of this PDF for a chart showing kids who have died from fatal head injuries after short falls. Kids older than her (10, 12, 13) have died from falls of less than 6 feet from a swing. So, I'd argue that 'bruised face' is entirely doable from a slide with or without kicking. Fatal Pediatric Head Injuries Caused by Short Distance Falls

The mother might not be lying but the photos don't prove anything one way or the other.
I also find it interesting the police say they are not investigating. That suggests that either they do not find the mother's story credible or possibly that they don't think she is lying but they have zero place to start with an investigation. Though, if the latter you'd think they would at least ask around at the school a bit.

In this day and age you'd think there would be some security cameras filming the playground - especially the equipment kids climb on. If not for crimes then just to cover their butts for injury liability type issues. A video from a distance might not identify the alleged kicker but it would likely at least show if there was one.

Jesus... 18 more reasons for me to not want a kid anymore. wahmbulance It is totally credible to have a mild heart attack when you lean back in a chair now.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor

Jesus... 18 more reasons for me to not want a kid anymore. wahmbulance It is totally credible to have a mild heart attack when you lean back in a chair now.

Well, on the whole kids usually bounce back.
What could happen and sometimes does happen doesn't mean it is likely to happen to you.
You COULD have a brain aneurysm and die while stressing over what might happen to your hypothetical child you have not had.
But chances are very good you will not. smile

I think your point of view changes as an adult.
I can remember when I was about 11 or 12 my friend and I had climbed to the top of two nearby evergreen trees on a windy day. We were probably about 60-70 feet up in the air near the tree tops riding the swaying trees back and forth and having a good time.
My friend's mom came out and called for us and when she figured out where we were she had a fit and yelled for us to get down. As a kid I thought she was kind of grumpy about it. As an adult I reckon I'd have some concerns if I saw my grandson doing that.

But falling from swings and other playground equipment? Been there / done that many times. Most of the time the odds are you'll come out okay. This girl too probably. She looks like she just has a couple of black eyes and will be fine in a week or so. Granted, there might be more damage than that but the vibe I get is the mom is over playing her hand and exaggerating a bit.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor

What could happen and sometimes does happen doesn't mean it is likely to happen to you.
You COULD have a brain aneurysm and die while stressing over what might happen to your hypothetical child you have not had.

I can remember when I was about 11 or 12 my friend and I had climbed to the top of two nearby evergreen trees on a windy day. We were probably about 60-70 feet up in the air near the tree tops riding the swaying trees back and forth and having a good time.
My friend's mom came out and called for us and when she figured out where we were she had a fit and yelled for us to get down. As a kid I thought she was kind of grumpy about it. As an adult I reckon I'd have some concerns if I saw my grandson doing that.

But falling from swings and other playground equipment? Been there / done that many times. Most of the time the odds are you'll come out okay. This girl too probably. She looks like she just has a couple of black eyes and will be fine in a week or so. Granted, there might be more damage than that but the vibe I get is the mom is over playing her hand and exaggerating a bit.

Holy s**t, you as a child... I quit climbing things when my leg power meant more muscle than my arms could safely lift.

I feel like she might have some bit of fracturing or something under that swollen eye, otherwise it would have gone down more with the bruising as that faded. The battered side looks too lopsided, unless she's taking pain meds, maybe. Those things swell your face right back up sometimes.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
A mali
BlackRose_Jefe
somebody lyin' somewhere.
Like that KFC incident?
I was thinking that when I read this, and I also heard of parents injuring their own children to get money or other attention. There is actually a medical condition for it but to me it is a fancy word for child abuse. When I read this it reminded me of the KFC thing.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor

Holy s**t, you as a child... I quit climbing things when my leg power meant more muscle than my arms could safely lift.

I feel like she might have some bit of fracturing or something under that swollen eye, otherwise it would have gone down more with the bruising as that faded. The battered side looks too lopsided, unless she's taking pain meds, maybe. Those things swell your face right back up sometimes.

Well, I can't say so I'm not going to try to be internet doctor. If mom is committing fraud she will likely be found out. If girl is seriously injured I hope she gets good care.
Once as a boy I got stung by a yellow jacket close to my left eye. I have a photo of the one side of my face swollen up pretty bad. In terms of swelling and looking lopsided my face looked much worse than this girl. But in a few days I was fine. It can be hard to tell from a photo.

As for me as a kid -- I do have some fun memories.
Climbing tall trees, walking around the tops of silos, jumping off the cliff by the waterfall, blowing up tree stumps with TNT with an old timer, shaking widow maker trees (the ones where the top is dead) until the top 20 or 30 feet would break off and then run out of the way before they fell on us. Riding logs down the flooded creek in a fall rain storm. Etc. Good times.
But on the whole I was actually a pretty tame kid and stayed out of trouble. None of the stuff I did seems as dangerous as some of the crap I see in those Vines video fail compilations. Well... falling off a 50 foot silo wall might have sucked ... but on the whole the stuff I did had a lower chance of getting hurt than trying to ride your bike off a two story roof onto a metal stair handrail.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
It's 2014... Every school should have camera's with audio inside and out by now.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
FirstBornTriplet
A mali
BlackRose_Jefe
Like that KFC incident?
I was thinking that when I read this, and I also heard of parents injuring their own children to get money or other attention. There is actually a medical condition for it but to me it is a fancy word for child abuse. When I read this it reminded me of the KFC thing.

The disease where parent/parents hurt a child for attention is called Munchausen by Proxy. It's led to injury and deaths of many children before the cause is discovered. It's also got a parent disease called Munchausen Syndrome, where the person hurts or fakes illness themselves for attention.

Now, on topic, I'm not saying this little girl wasn't injured. It's obvious she was, but there is most likely more to the story then what is posted. For example, I heard a report that people were posting on the FB page that the parents of other children were coming forward saying they witnessed the attack. Who is the party investigating claims to make sure said children were there to witness something? Has the little girl named her attacker or mentioned what this other child looked like? How was she climbing up the slide? Was it by the ladder or on the side?

Don't say the ladder was the only way up. Some playgrounds have a playset attached to the slide where some kids can push ahead of the line by using it. When I was a kid (back in the stone age) my kindergarten had a huge slide with bars criss-crossing on the side. I would climb up the ladder, only to be pushed aside by kids using the bars to get ahead of the line. One day, I got sick of my turn being shoved aside by someone breaking the rules, so I decided to break the rules. I climbed up the side and, when I got the top, thought I was going to get my turn first. But the kid who was there already scared me somehow and I fell. All the way to the hard rocky ground. Luckily, I only had the wind knocked out of me and landed on my back. But, that incident makes me wonder how the wait on the slide was like.

Also, what is the home life of the child like? At what point in school did this incident occur?

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

I have a very difficult time believing this story.
Mostly because it originated on Facebook and they're begging for donations.

Wintry Dragon

Fireweed_honey
FirstBornTriplet
A mali
BlackRose_Jefe
Like that KFC incident?

The disease where parent/parents hurt a child for attention is called Munchausen by Proxy. It's led to injury and deaths of many children before the cause is discovered. It's also got a parent disease called Munchausen Syndrome, where the person hurts or fakes illness themselves for attention.

There appears to be a monetary gain aspect in this case like the KFC one. That can rule out Munchausen unless it can be proven that the financial gain was coincidental.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor
David2074
Alexander J Luthor

Well, I can't say so I'm not going to try to be internet doctor. If mom is committing fraud she will likely be found out. If girl is seriously injured I hope she gets good care.
Once as a boy I got stung by a yellow jacket close to my left eye. I have a photo of the one side of my face swollen up pretty bad. In terms of swelling and looking lopsided my face looked much worse than this girl. But in a few days I was fine. It can be hard to tell from a photo.

As for me as a kid -- I do have some fun memories.
Climbing tall trees, walking around the tops of silos, jumping off the cliff by the waterfall, blowing up tree stumps with TNT with an old timer, shaking widow maker trees (the ones where the top is dead) until the top 20 or 30 feet would break off and then run out of the way before they fell on us. Riding logs down the flooded creek in a fall rain storm. Etc. Good times.
But on the whole I was actually a pretty tame kid and stayed out of trouble. None of the stuff I did seems as dangerous as some of the crap I see in those Vines video fail compilations. Well... falling off a 50 foot silo wall might have sucked ... but on the whole the stuff I did had a lower chance of getting hurt than trying to ride your bike off a two story roof onto a metal stair handrail.

That article about the Ice Bucket Challenge Guy dying didn't say much, but I'm pretty sure he did the jump from a two story roof into a pool and must have hit his head or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff