Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Sex Symbol

victor gusta queso
Bannable 0ffense
Silvia Crow

Yet every stereotype has a grain of truth in it.

Not really. For example there is no scientific proof that asians drive terribly compared to other ethnicities, barring white noise factors. People have made up that stereotype based on the false idea that Asians have smaller eyes so they can't see as well.

Do African Americans love fried chicken more than Asians or Caucasians? No. In fact if you go to Asia one of the most popular international chains you will recognize is KFC. In the world, more asians eat fried chicken every day than African Americans, yet the stereotype in the US is that this is a phenomenon reserved for African Americans. Everyone I know from any race/ethnicity has never denounced fried chicken. Depending on the area of the city I go to the majority of people visiting chains like KFC are either mostly white, or mostly black, unless I go somewhere that is more culturally diverse.

Not all stereotypes have grains of truth to them. That is a huge misconception and excuse people use to justify why they believe in certain stereotypes.

Not trying to pick a side in this discussion, I just have something to add about the whole Asians driving bad thing. Have you ever seen how people in China drive? It's terrifying. It's not just a few people, as a culture, the Chinese drive badly. Ignoring street lines, traffic signs and signals, honking at people to warn them that they're coming through, ready or not. Pedestrians are SOL, as are any small cars that happen to get in the way of a larger vehicle.
Perhaps the idea that Asians don't drive well comes from people who have seen people in Asian countries drive?

Same could be said of other countries where traffic laws are not enforced.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
Throw that mom under the jail.

Greedy Consumer

David2074
Brown is facing a long list of charges, including terroristic threats, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and defiant trespass.

What a crock of s**t.
Trespass and simple assault maybe. But "terroristic threats"?
It was the wrong way to handle it but it sounds like they are trying to make an example of her.
Also - amused at bully mommy claiming her little one is an angel. Isn't that the usual claim?

'terrorist' is the new 'communist'

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
We Are Organisms
David2074
Brown is facing a long list of charges, including terroristic threats, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and defiant trespass.

What a crock of s**t.
It was the wrong way to handle it but it sounds like they are trying to make an example of her.
Also - amused at bully mommy claiming her little one is an angel. Isn't that the usual claim?

Yeah, I've had similar thoughts.
Anything kids do that is remotely unkind is 'bullying' and just about anything adults do is somehow associated with terrorism.
When I was young (and trash burning barrels were still legal around here) I would occasionally make 'booms' in the fire barrel. Nothing too dangerous - the blast was directed up and I didn't get too crazy. The odd aerosol can or packing an empty shotgun shell with match heads and crimping it. Louder than a firecracker but not 'OMG scary'. I've often thought that these days that would have folks calling the cops and homeland security dragging me off for manufacturing / setting off explosive devices. I'm all for grabbing the real jihadists and all that but the overkill I sometimes see is bullshit.

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm too busy wondering why the hell her daughter's eleven when she's 26...

First hint she's not qualified to be a mother?
David2074
We Are Organisms
David2074

What a crock of s**t.

Anything kids do that is remotely unkind is 'bullying' and just about anything adults do is somehow associated with terrorism.
When I was young (and trash burning barrels were still legal around here) I would occasionally make 'booms' in the fire barrel. Nothing too dangerous - the blast was directed up and I didn't get too crazy. The odd aerosol can or packing an empty shotgun shell with match heads and crimping it. Louder than a firecracker but not 'OMG scary'. I've often thought that these days that would have folks calling the cops and homeland security dragging me off for manufacturing / setting off explosive devices. I'm all for grabbing the real jihadists and all that but the overkill I sometimes see is bullshit.

"Terroristic threats" in a legal sense doesn't have to relate with "terrorism" in the car bombs/political agenda sense that people have come to associate with terrorism now. It's just a generalize crime that encompasses any threats a person might make to harm an individual, group, or property. It's a really common charge in domestic dispute based crimes. It's not really a new law.
Defiled
David2074
We Are Organisms
David2074

What a crock of s**t.

"Terroristic threats" in a legal sense doesn't have to relate with "terrorism" in the car bombs/political agenda sense that people have come to associate with terrorism now. It's just a generalize crime that encompasses any threats a person might make to harm an individual, group, or property. It's a really common charge in domestic dispute based crimes. It's not really a new law.

"A threat designed to incite terror in the recipient of said threat," if I'm not mistaken, was the original intent of "terroristic threat" laws.

Much as how a "terrorist attack" was originally "an attack designed to incite terror in a populace, rather than primarily to reduce populations, deny access to some form of item, service or infrastructure or against a military target" instead of "an attack against civilians motivated by political goals."
Keltic Knight
Defiled
David2074
We Are Organisms
David2074

What a crock of s**t.

"A threat designed to incite terror in the recipient of said threat," if I'm not mistaken, was the original intent of "terroristic threat" laws.

Much as how a "terrorist attack" was originally "an attack designed to incite terror in a populace, rather than primarily to reduce populations, deny access to some form of item, service or infrastructure or against a military target" instead of "an attack against civilians motivated by political goals."

Media fear-mongering, especially on major "news" networks, has given the term a very specific stigma, it seems. No surprise, really.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Defiled
David2074
We Are Organisms
David2074

What a crock of s**t.

Thanks for the info. I had not heard the term before.

I did some reading and while she might technically be guilty of it by the letter of the law it still seems like a reach. It likely boils down to whether she was intentionally creating 'extreme fear' in the child or just trying to make the child concerned or somewhat afraid of the consequences of continuing to bully her daughter.

Or to put it another way, taken to that extreme just about any school bully (presumably including this one) could be accused of 'terroristic threats'. However reading a few examples of the law in various states it seems the intent of the law is bigger than just telling a kid to leave your daughter alone. The intent seems to be about putting genuine terror in a person or causing terror in whole groups of people - like falsely claiming there is a fire or a bomb in the building. My own state (WA) does not seem to have this law. They have various laws about communicating threats and about terrorism but not 'terroristic threat'. That is possibly why I was unfamiliar with the term. I once researched our local laws to assist a person who was going through some stuff.

THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA - TERRORISTIC THREATS
Terroristic threat - shall mean a threat communicated either directly or indirectly to commit any crime of violence with the intent to terrorize an other; to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly or facility of public transportation; or to otherwise cause serious public inconvenience, or cause terror or serious public inconvenience with reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience.

Terror - Extreme fear: "people fled in terror"; "a terror of darkness".
David2074
Defiled
David2074
We Are Organisms
David2074

What a crock of s**t.

Thanks for the info. I had not heard the term before.

I did some reading and while she might technically be guilty of it by the letter of the law it still seems like a reach. It likely boils down to whether she was intentionally creating 'extreme fear' in the child or just trying to make the child concerned or somewhat afraid of the consequences of continuing to bully her daughter.

Or to put it another way, taken to that extreme just about any school bully (presumably including this one) could be accused of 'terroristic threats'. However reading a few examples of the law in various states it seems the intent of the law is bigger than just telling a kid to leave your daughter alone. The intent seems to be about putting genuine terror in a person or causing terror in whole groups of people - like falsely claiming there is a fire or a bomb in the building. My own state (WA) does not seem to have this law. They have various laws about communicating threats and about terrorism but not 'terroristic threat'. That is possibly why I was unfamiliar with the term. I once researched our local laws to assist a person who was going through some stuff.

THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA - TERRORISTIC THREATS
Terroristic threat - shall mean a threat communicated either directly or indirectly to commit any crime of violence with the intent to terrorize an other; to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly or facility of public transportation; or to otherwise cause serious public inconvenience, or cause terror or serious public inconvenience with reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience.

Terror - Extreme fear: "people fled in terror"; "a terror of darkness".

I would think it was much easier for an 11 year old to be terrified when an adult tracked them down on the school yard and threatened them with bodily harm while (allegedly?) assaulting them in some way than it would be if we were talking about a normal adult. I would have been terrified at 11, I have to say. If it would have been another child threatening the child OR another adult threatening an adult, I would say this probably would not apply, but given their ages I think it could be considered a special case.

11,925 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
why terroristic threats? people would walk into my high school all the time and no one would know who they were. same with the elimentry school

Dangerous Gaian

victor gusta queso
Bannable 0ffense
Silvia Crow

Not really. For example there is no scientific proof that asians drive terribly compared to other ethnicities, barring white noise factors. People have made up that stereotype based on the false idea that Asians have smaller eyes so they can't see as well.

Do African Americans love fried chicken more than Asians or Caucasians? No. In fact if you go to Asia one of the most popular international chains you will recognize is KFC. In the world, more asians eat fried chicken every day than African Americans, yet the stereotype in the US is that this is a phenomenon reserved for African Americans. Everyone I know from any race/ethnicity has never denounced fried chicken. Depending on the area of the city I go to the majority of people visiting chains like KFC are either mostly white, or mostly black, unless I go somewhere that is more culturally diverse.

Not all stereotypes have grains of truth to them. That is a huge misconception and excuse people use to justify why they believe in certain stereotypes.

Not trying to pick a side in this discussion, I just have something to add about the whole Asians driving bad thing. Have you ever seen how people in China drive? It's terrifying. It's not just a few people, as a culture, the Chinese drive badly. Ignoring street lines, traffic signs and signals, honking at people to warn them that they're coming through, ready or not. Pedestrians are SOL, as are any small cars that happen to get in the way of a larger vehicle.
Perhaps the idea that Asians don't drive well comes from people who have seen people in Asian countries drive?

For all you know if you had to live in high densely populated areas like China you'd probably learn to drive the same way they do regardless of your ethnicity. Plus there are factors like what traffic laws are like in China and whether people obey them (do people who violate traffic laws actually get caught and punished? are China's traffic laws structured to keep pedestrians safe? etc.).

Here's a good quote I found from someone on a different forum
However, the stereotype doesn't really differentiate between immigrants and "native" asians. I drive well. I know I do. However, there are some asian people who appear to drive poorly because their driving style is so different. In many asian countries, it's so busy that you really need to push and shove a bit to survive. You're an ant in a really crowded place, so you need to "fight" a bit to get where you need to go. Same with on the road. Their driving laws matter less. Even when there's only a small space to sneak in between, or a small parking spot, you need to take it.

When I was in Asia I saw some everyday drivers do some of the most amazing maneuvers with their cars. Like squeezing into really small, tight spaces and backing up backwards at the same time. Gutsy things I can rarely imagining Americans doing without damaging their big hulking SUVs.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Bannable 0ffense
victor gusta queso
Bannable 0ffense
Silvia Crow

For all you know if you had to live in high densely populated areas like China you'd probably learn to drive the same way they do regardless of your ethnicity. Plus there are factors like what traffic laws are like in China and whether people obey them (do people who violate traffic laws actually get caught and punished? are China's traffic laws structured to keep pedestrians safe? etc.).

Here's a good quote I found from someone on a different forum
However, the stereotype doesn't really differentiate between immigrants and "native" asians. I drive well. I know I do. However, there are some asian people who appear to drive poorly because their driving style is so different. In many asian countries, it's so busy that you really need to push and shove a bit to survive. You're an ant in a really crowded place, so you need to "fight" a bit to get where you need to go. Same with on the road. Their driving laws matter less. Even when there's only a small space to sneak in between, or a small parking spot, you need to take it.

When I was in Asia I saw some everyday drivers do some of the most amazing maneuvers with their cars. Like squeezing into really small, tight spaces and backing up backwards at the same time. Gutsy things I can rarely imagining Americans doing without damaging their big hulking SUVs.

The place I visited was a relatively small town. Not any bigger than a city you'd find here, even population-wise. "Gutsy" is not the same as "stupid" as in, huge busses barreling down curvy mountain roads only one lane wide, depending on nothing but foggy mirrors posted along said road to tell them when no other busses are coming towards them.
It isn't just their driving, in the culture, like, when people get in lines, they have to fight for their spot in the line. People cut like there's no tomorrow.
I'm not saying there aren't factors that make them this way, it's a culture thing. I never claimed that ALL Asians drive badly, just trying to give a suggestion as to where the stereotype may have come from.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff