Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Raider

Schools Cracking Down on Graduation Jubilation

Is it fair to punish students when their family and friends are too loud with cheers? Or to punish students for decorating their mortarboards?

Demonic Kitten

Schools seem to be getting worse and worse, becoming more restrictive and controling while focusing less and less on education. When my boyfriend graduated his mom had to get up and leave for just an instant, but when she returned though she had a ticket to get back in, the officer at the door wouldn't let her and she missed her son's graduation. Schools are getting horrible now. They forget their bounderies. It's graduation. Families wait a very long time for that day to come. Do the schools honestly expect it to be quiet? Once someone got written up outside of school for 'following the schoolbus' on his way to his girlfriend's house. It's getting senseless now.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
It's abit extreme

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Generous 100
emotion_donotwant

Friendly Nerd

6,400 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
One would have to consider the circumstances. If the school asked people to keep applause to clapping only during the ceremony maybe there was a reason the school asked for the cooperation of the parents, friends, and families in their community. Like say if the ceremony is video recorded or televised.

The shouting and ecstatic happiness can always be shown during the private and more personal graduation party. Or at the very end when the hats are thrown in the air.

Arrested seems harsh but maybe this school has experienced some unruly parental behavior in past events and is trying to maintain a policy that can prevent a highly inappropriate situation from becoming a seriously embarrassing incident for the teens especially.

Either way, it sounds like there may be another side to the story.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
haha I agree they are being rude and unfair to the other grads but jailtime and community service is a bit too strict.

Chatty Businesswoman

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Now that's just plain ridiculous if you ask me >.<

Blessed Wench

9,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I think this is going a bit too far. I can understand not wanting to be rude to the other graduates and wanting to keep order when there is a lot of excited people in one confined space but I also see this as denying both the graduates and their families an experience they've all been waiting for, for 18 years.

I'm also pro cheering because if my Mom had been able to attend my graduation she would have been the loudest person there and my graduation took place outside.
emotion_facepalm Seriously? Wtf

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Kitty Nocturna
Schools seem to be getting worse and worse, becoming more restrictive and controling while focusing less and less on education. When my boyfriend graduated his mom had to get up and leave for just an instant, but when she returned though she had a ticket to get back in, the officer at the door wouldn't let her and she missed her son's graduation. Schools are getting horrible now. They forget their bounderies. It's graduation. Families wait a very long time for that day to come. Do the schools honestly expect it to be quiet? Once someone got written up outside of school for 'following the schoolbus' on his way to his girlfriend's house. It's getting senseless now.

Agreed. Actually you just reminded me of an artical I read last year about how this one school in Chicago, was banning home packed lunches. The reason was the school thought their lunches were healthier, when anyone who has gone to school knows perfectly well their lunches are not healtheir.

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Edward 100
Ice Flyer

No I don't think it's right for them to do that. It's supposed to be a time of celebration and happiness. Not being quiet. And I agree with the person in the second post on the first page. It's getting senseless now. There's no focus on education and they're imposing rules that make no sense not to mention not even keeping the kids for a full day of school or a full week of school like it was when I went. I graduated in 2001. It was so much better then. /mytwocents
I can actually understand banning of cheering and being forced to remove yourself if you're being unruly. What I can't understand is holding kids diploma's hostage if their parents cheer or if they decorated their caps. That is unacceptable.

Sparkly Fatcat

At my graduation we had some 3,008 students (largest graduating class in the nation) but they never said we couldnt cheer, my fiance said my mom cried and my dad got up to "streach his legs" and he never came back v.v

Invisible Gawker

I agree that's a little far, but in a way, I think there should be discipline for parents who are being completely ridiculous. At my own graduations, there were always parents who brought air horns. WHY AIRHORNS. Seriously. It's just drawing attention to yourself of how incredibly rude you are at an important ceremony in your child's life.

7,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
Wow...
That's harsh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers