Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Microsoft Corp. is hoping a cult videogame built around virtual blocks will help fix the company's real-world problems, even if the brains behind the brand aren't sticking around.

The software giant's $2.5-billion deal to buy Mojang AB, maker of the "Minecraft" videogame, gives Microsoft an entertainment property whose devoted fans dress up like game characters, pack YouTube with how-to guides and rush to sign up for "Minecraft"-themed summer camps.

Microsoft, which had tried before to buy Mojang, moved quickly to secure a deal as other potential suitors expressed interest, said a person familiar the matter. The two companies signed an exclusivity agreement in July, this person said, when it became clear that Mojang's founders were open to selling.

Microsoft is betting the popularity of "Minecraft," which lets people use Lego-like blocks to create lush digital worlds, can lure more people to the company's struggling Windows smartphone system, and draw into its orbit a younger crop of users and software developers.

"Great content will drive the ability for Microsoft to expand the sales of its platforms, and bring it to new devices," said Kent Wakeford, chief operating officer of Kabam Inc., which makes videogames such as "Kingdoms of Camelot."

The acquisition isn't a big financial bet for a company as flush with cash as Microsoft, but Chief Executive Satya Nadella is taking a risk that "Minecraft" can have staying power and will prove bigger than a single brand.

Microsoft Gets 'Minecraft' Not Founders

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
I can't believe that Microsoft bought Minecraft. I hope they do something good with it. I know they also own Lego now so there is a possibility of a Minecraft/Lego hybrid (which I'm not terribly interested in). I'm hoping they leave the game as it is pretty much though and don't start charging ridiculous amounts for it or remove the ability to create user made mods.

Hallowed Wench

Nemone
I can't believe that Microsoft bought Minecraft. I hope they do something good with it. I know they also own Lego now so there is a possibility of a Minecraft/Lego hybrid (which I'm not terribly interested in). I'm hoping they leave the game as it is pretty much though and don't start charging ridiculous amounts for it or remove the ability to create user made mods.
Even if they do, people will just roll back to previous versions and keep making their own stuff.

Might hurt the ability to use MC realms doing that but wtv.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
Umbral_Necropolitan
Nemone
Even if they do, people will just roll back to previous versions and keep making their own stuff.

Might hurt the ability to use MC realms doing that but wtv.

So true. Hopefully it's not too big a worry though. I heard the main reason they wanted to buy Minecraft was so they could create a phone app or something for it. Trying to make their products appeal to the younger generation.
I always thought "You know what would make Minecraft better? Microtransactions."

I can somewhat see why Mojang sold out, but after they've spent all these years working on Minecraft claiming how they were an independant company and didn't need or want the mega-corp billions, blah blah blah, there's no sympathy to lose on these sell-outs. Running with that rhetoric since 2011 then pull a complete 180 like this is a massive slap in the face for the community that supported and made Minecraft what it is today.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Nemone
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Or were you referring to a video game of such?

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
--Sky Kid Tai--
I always thought "You know what would make Minecraft better? Microtransactions."

I can somewhat see why Mojang sold out, but after they've spent all these years working on Minecraft claiming how they were an independant company and didn't need or want the mega-corp billions, blah blah blah, there's no sympathy to lose on these sell-outs. Running with that rhetoric since 2011 then pull a complete 180 like this is a massive slap in the face for the community that supported and made Minecraft what it is today.

Notch gets shitted on by the community for things he had nothing to do about.

He gotten sick of it so he is washing his hands off it.

He gets some dosh and the Swedish Taxman gets LOADS OF MONEY
Glorious Leader Luna
--Sky Kid Tai--

If my math is correct on it, every employee at Mojang is walking with about $110M more in their pockets. They want to put more focus on Scrolls(?) and that money will definetly help.

Still doesn't change the fact that they're sell-outs and they're slapping a vast majority of the community with a big fat middle finger. Props to those still supporting the Mojang crew. Better peoe than me. I just pray what remains of Mojang doesn't go the way of Rare.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
--Sky Kid Tai--
Glorious Leader Luna
--Sky Kid Tai--

If my math is correct on it, every employee at Mojang is walking with about $110M more in their pockets. They want to put more focus on Scrolls(?) and that money will definetly help.

Still doesn't change the fact that they're sell-outs and they're slapping a vast majority of the community with a big fat middle finger. Props to those still supporting the Mojang crew. Better peoe than me. I just pray what remains of Mojang doesn't go the way of Rare.

But not every employee at Mojang owns Mojang

Notch owned about 70% of it and rest was with two other people.

they should get about $500 million while Swedish Government gets the 2 billion

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
The People that made Minecraft were making other games and released what seems like an incomplete Horse Simulator game.

I wonder if the people are going to make a New Company for these more lush 3D creations or if others in their existing company were mostly behind those.
Glorious Leader Luna
--Sky Kid Tai--
Glorious Leader Luna
--Sky Kid Tai--

But not every employee at Mojang owns Mojang

Notch owned about 70% of it and rest was with two other people.

they should get about $500 million while Swedish Government gets the 2 billion

Damn...someone is getting screwed in taxes...

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
If Microsoft ******** this up like they did with Windows 8 I'm gonna be so pissed.

Newbie Pumpkin

MOOOOOO! the cow sees minecraft dying soon ... Microsoft as the poop touch and makes gross all it touches User Image
User Image

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
Honey of the South
Nemone
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Or were you referring to a video game of such?

Lol, I'm sure my kids would find a game like that interesting. They'd probably still prefer the current minecraft though. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff