Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
The body of one passenger on board Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was found wearing an oxygen mask, Dutch prosecutors said on Thursday, raising questions about how much those on board knew about their fate when the plane crashed in eastern Ukraine in July.

The passenger, an Australian, did not have the mask on his face but around his neck, said Wim de Bruin, a spokesman for the Dutch national prosecutor’s office, which is carrying out a criminal investigation into the disaster.

De Bruin said Dutch forensic experts investigated the mask “for fingerprints, saliva and DNA and that did not produce any results. So it is not known how or when that mask got around the neck of the victim.”

De Bruin said no other bodies recovered from the wreckage were found wearing masks. He also said he did not know where in the plane the Australian victim was sitting.

All 298 passengers and crew died when the aircraft flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur crashed on 17 July. Dutch air crash investigators said last month it was probably struck by a number of “high-energy objects from outside the aircraft”, which some aviation experts say is consistent with a missile strike.

The head of the criminal investigation said the most likely of possible scenarios being investigated was that the Boeing 777 was shot down from the ground.

Relatives of the Australian passenger were told about the mask as soon as it was discovered, but families of other victims heard about it for the first time when the Dutch foreign minister, Frans Timmermans, mentioned it during an interview on a late-night talk show on Wednesday.

MH17: one passenger was wearing oxygen mask when he died

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
i feel like there's not enough info here. what if that oxygen mask was being worn for medical reason?

because i find it odd that ONE person out of 298 people was wearing a oxygen mask. and apparently there's no dna of the victim on the mask

: and not to seem like a downer but i feel the mystery of who was the cause of this disaster will be swept under the rug sooner or later sorta like the plane that disappeared like...how's that search going?, it's just, so ******** up man. also why is it that the dutch are the only ones taking the time out of their day looking into things and investigating?

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Could the plane have been hit, oxygen masks automaticLly fall and get tangled during the crash? Or one of the looters/insurgents did it as a sick joke. That's what my money's on. confused

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I really fail to see how an oxygen mask suggests anything at all about "who knew" the jet was going to be shot down.

If you are on a jet that is going to be shot out of the sky and have inside knowledge of it I see one of two possibilities.
1. You are willingly going to your death so no oxygen mask needed.
2. You somehow expect to live through it, in which case you need a parachute and knowledge of how to blow an emergency exit aft of the engines. Also probably some sort of protective skydiving speed suit to give you a small chance of not dying from the sheer wind speed when you exit a jet in flight, regardless of whether you have a parachute.

I see no mention of parachute and James Bond style special ops suit so I'm back to thinking the oxygen mask is not the smoking gun the article seems to be trying to make it out to be.
Unless there is more they are not saying.
A little weird about the no fingerprints / no dna though. It almost suggests someone stuck the mask around his neck after he was dead. If so, that part raises questions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff