Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A non-contagious, fungal form of meningitis has sickened 26 people in five states, killing four, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

Five additional cases were reported in Tennessee, health officials said Tuesday. The total number of cases in that state is 18.

Three cases have been reported in Virginia, two each in Florida and Maryland and one in North Carolina, the CDC said. Two people have died in Tennessee, one in Virginia and one in Maryland.

All of those infected had received steroid injections to the spine.

Tennessee: Meningitis outbreak investigated

The Tennessee victims range in age from 49 to 89, state Health Commissioner Dr. John Dreyzehner said Wednesday. Department spokesman Woody McMillin said Tuesday 11 patients were hospitalized.

"The prime suspect for this outbreak is methylprednisolone acetate," Dreyzehner said Wednesday.

Methylprednisolone acetate is an injectible steroid product used to treat pain and inflammation.

Food and Drug Administration officials identified the manufacturer as New England Compounding Center (NECC), which conducted a voluntary recall of three lots of methylprednisolone acetate 80mg/mlinjection produced at NECC. The lot numbers are #05212012@68, #06292012@26 and #08102012@51.

The FDA continues to work with state health departments and the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy to investigate the scope and cause of the outbreak of the fungal meningitis, according to FDA spokesperson Erica Jefferson.

"We expect to see more cases," Dreyzehner said, noting the infection can take up to 28 days to develop.

read on

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
:C Bad times. I hope there won't be any more deaths, but I heard the fungal form is really bad.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Though it seems it has not hit here in Connecticut (unless I missed something) my husband who has recently slipped a disc, has suddenly decided NOT to get that shot to help him upon hearing this news.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff