Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lies, all lies. I have more guy friends then I do female friends.

And the guys are straight too, they just love me like a sister.

Adored Prophet

Prince Ikari
Pnyuu
men don't bother with befriending women that they aren't attracted to

What makes you so sure of that? I am a man and I have befriended plenty of woman who I am not attracted to in the past.

Yeah, Pnyuu, it's ridiculous to talk like all guys, heterosexual or not, are just barely-in-control animals held hostage by their own libido. Saying that about either sex is not only inaccurate, but dismissive and rude, and reinforces some pretty harmful patriarchal attitudes.
Humans of any orientation or gender are capable of forming close relationships that are not based solely on sexual attraction.

Conservative Victory

frickety
Prince Ikari
Pnyuu
men don't bother with befriending women that they aren't attracted to

What makes you so sure of that? I am a man and I have befriended plenty of woman who I am not attracted to in the past.

Yeah, Pnyuu, it's ridiculous to talk like all guys, heterosexual or not, are just barely-in-control animals held hostage by their own libido. Saying that about either sex is not only inaccurate, but dismissive and rude, and reinforces some pretty harmful patriarchal attitudes.
Humans of any orientation or gender are capable of forming close relationships that are not based solely on sexual attraction.

I agree. Yes its true that men lust after women but it does not mean that every friendship is formed based on that though. If that was the case then I would be friendless at the moment. In fact most men and women in the world would probably be friendless right now. Men may have given the image that they are beasts controlled via their sex drives but there are still gentlemen out there who value the companionship and friendship of others. And the same goes for women. Our society drastically overplays sexuality when I think that most of us just want a friend we can talk to and hang out with. Not everything is about sex.
David2074
Some of the comments in this thread make me think many of you read nothing but the headline.

The very first line of the article says it was about heterosexuals so the the gay comments are N/A in terms of 'proving' opposite sex relationships can be platonic.

The title of the article is a bit misleading. It says they "CAN'T" be friends while the actual study just suggests that differences in how men and women view friendships could make it difficult, but does not say they can't.

Another thing the study fails to address is the fact that even though a guy may be more likely to have a romantic interest in a female friend it doesn't mean he can't choose not to act on it for various reasons. Or that he can't approach her about the romantic aspect, find out she is not interested, and then continue just being friends.

Personally I have women who are truly just friends.
I also have women friends I was once sexually / romantically involved with where later we decided to end that but we are still very good totally platonic friends. So it's definitely possible for opposite sex to be 'just friends' but I agree it can often lead to romantic feelings as well. If anything that is an indication of trying for a healthy relationship. If a person is looking for something other than 'just sex' it only makes sense their brains would pick the people they truly enjoy hanging out with as possible candidates for a relationship.
i agree with this comment 100%.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces