Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Gaian

11.5%? No wonder I can't find a damn job!!
I guess I can't even get hired at McDonalds. rolleyes

That's just...
P1:So, what do you study in school?
P2: money, cash registers, ya know, that kind of thing.
P1: OH cool! You're hired!
P2: Saweeett.

People without a degree: emo

Nice. So I guess people who go to community colleges are f***ed if you need a bachelor's degree just to earn minimum wage nowadays. I guess they'll just have to settle for drug dealer or bath salt snorter.

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
stare really? Are they serious? And the vicious cycle begins again. "oh I need experience but how do I get it if every where I go they want experience?" stressed now where the hell do people even start if not McDonalds?

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

This Isnt Sparta
Jin Love
Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira
Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira

I ran into that a bunch of times too when I was still looking.
Makes you wonder if they get their kicks from doing that to people.

It's lovely, isn't it? /sarcasm

It becomes a vicious cycle. Jobs require experience but you can't get experience if you can't find a job.

There's also the folks who have been out of work for a long time who are unable to get another job because of bull reasons.If I remember right,if not smack me with a pie or something. confused

No winning with these people.>>;

I'm always afraid employers will wonder why I have had so many volunteer jobs and none that have actually paid any money. Maybe if there were more entry level jobs available that didn't involve working with people (I'd get fired faster than you can say "bread and butter") and the economy wasn't in the crapper, it wouldn't be a problem.
I was told to do volunteer work to gain experience for jobs. But whenever I used it to say that was all the experience I had they'd say something like "Well we're looking for on the job experience" or some BS like that.

Seriously, where do they expect people to start out? If you need a job to get experience then they can't expect you to have that experience just to flip patties or run a register.

Dont you just LOVE the runaround?
Its no wonder people just plain give up looking for employment. Apparently no job wants to be that "first" job for people. Its ridiculous.
Yea it really is horrible, they tell you to do this, and when you do it it's still not good enough.

The sad thing is, I've been trying to get a job for awhile now, And back when I was in school I knew so many people who could get jobs so easily. And they never ever did a good job or appreciated that they got one, they would call in sick on random days when they didn't wanna go in, they'd do a horrible job at work. Yet they don't wanna hire someone because they don't have enough experience. =/

They need to make it so that you can get a first job, allow the person to have it and prove that they deserve it. Not discourage them from getting one because you just don't qualify enough.

Liberal Fatcat

Jin Love
Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira
Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira

It becomes a vicious cycle. Jobs require experience but you can't get experience if you can't find a job.

There's also the folks who have been out of work for a long time who are unable to get another job because of bull reasons.If I remember right,if not smack me with a pie or something. confused

I'm always afraid employers will wonder why I have had so many volunteer jobs and none that have actually paid any money. Maybe if there were more entry level jobs available that didn't involve working with people (I'd get fired faster than you can say "bread and butter") and the economy wasn't in the crapper, it wouldn't be a problem.
I was told to do volunteer work to gain experience for jobs. But whenever I used it to say that was all the experience I had they'd say something like "Well we're looking for on the job experience" or some BS like that.

Seriously, where do they expect people to start out? If you need a job to get experience then they can't expect you to have that experience just to flip patties or run a register.

Dont you just LOVE the runaround?
Its no wonder people just plain give up looking for employment. Apparently no job wants to be that "first" job for people. Its ridiculous.

Questionable Streaker

This also makes me wonder about the folks living on welfare and never even got to go to college. If even a fast food place wont hire you unless you have a college degree, how else can you just barely get by?

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira
Super Fightin Prototype
Yuki_Windira
Hasuki Aatisuto
Yuki_Windira
I thought that Fast Food joints were suppose to be stepping stones for beginners,even without a degree... confused

I've noticed an increasing number of fundamental jobs requiring experience before you can even work there.

"Hello, I'd like to apply to the cashier position here at (well known fast food restaurant)."

"That's great! Do you have previous experience on being a cashier?"

"I don't have any, and that's why I would like to take this job - to gain experience in it, and to improve my talents."

"I'm sorry, but we require our cashiers to have previous experience."

"Then how am I supposed to get experience if I can't work here?"

"Sorry, you'll have to look somewhere else."

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
You know not all college grad are reliable. Working in the retail industry where I had to be a cashier I know what is expected. It take Customer service (Poliet, respectful, quick, little to no mistakes) to be a good cashier not a stupid degree. Degrees only mean you can make it to management marterial.

Space Genius

Does that means high schoolers have to get an internship to get experiences in order to feed the stomach after college? That paying for college just got a lot harder? (paid internship cannot be used in tuition) Where does those high schoolers look for internship? The spot I once want had a probability of 1:400 chance of getting selected.
There are tales that goes, in Titusville, Florida, there are rocket scientists serving fast food, none of them civil servant. Must be nice to be a civil servant. The system is just plain ******** up. stressed
Guess we will get a lot of immigrants that can't find any work and more dropout rates.

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
I think it's a sign of society as well. That we are pushing young people to go get these degrees and higher education when there simply isn't a job market for it. I don't blame an employer for looking for the best employee; esspecially if they can get it.

Actually, hiring overqualified employees can harm an employer's business in the long run.

How so?

It's a pretty safe bet a college graduate won't work at McDonalds a day longer than it takes for the grad to find work related to his/her chosen field. Maybe a few will stick around if a management position is offered.

Realistically, most college grads probably qualify for jobs paying better than McDonalds.

That's true; but saying that from experience even those without a degree don't stick around any longer then they need too. The employment turnover rate at McDs is pretty high on the crew level with or without a degree. So using that as an argument is pretty poorly grounded. If anything a degree is something of an ensurance that the applicant has an ability in spoken and written English which when talking with customers (esspecially those who don't speak english well) comes in handy.

That would be pretty dumb presumption. I regularly edit paperwork for professionals with a Masters or better. I assure you, some of them can't read/write worth beans.

And I worked at a McDs and I can assure you that those for who English is a second language rarely served customers and they stayed around no longer then those who could. And those that could we're usually studying or had studied nd didn't stick around much either. And higher education leads to the assumption that they have some grasp of English.
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
I think it's a sign of society as well. That we are pushing young people to go get these degrees and higher education when there simply isn't a job market for it. I don't blame an employer for looking for the best employee; esspecially if they can get it.

Actually, hiring overqualified employees can harm an employer's business in the long run.

How so?

It's a pretty safe bet a college graduate won't work at McDonalds a day longer than it takes for the grad to find work related to his/her chosen field. Maybe a few will stick around if a management position is offered.

Realistically, most college grads probably qualify for jobs paying better than McDonalds.

That's true; but saying that from experience even those without a degree don't stick around any longer then they need too. The employment turnover rate at McDs is pretty high on the crew level with or without a degree. So using that as an argument is pretty poorly grounded. If anything a degree is something of an ensurance that the applicant has an ability in spoken and written English which when talking with customers (esspecially those who don't speak english well) comes in handy.

That would be pretty dumb presumption. I regularly edit paperwork for professionals with a Masters or better. I assure you, some of them can't read/write worth beans.

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Bienaimee R
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak

How so?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I wonder if you can reverse that to your advantage.
My daughter has worked at McDonalds. Perhaps now she can apply for jobs that require a bachelor's degree and cite her McDonalds experience as proof she qualifies. smile

Dapper Gawker

Coming from Massachusetts, it doesn't surprise me. There's not that many people here from Generation Y who DON'T have college degrees.
Aliiak
Bienaimee R
Aliiak

How so?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff