Welcome to Gaia! ::

EDIT: Breaking Development!
Maple Syrup Seized

--------------------------------------------------------------
Millions of Dollars In Maple Syrup Stolen

Quote:
Talk about sticky-fingered thieves. They've struck in Quebec, snatching millions of dollars worth of maple syrup from a warehouse in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, between Montreal and Quebec City.

Up to 10 million pounds of syrup was in the warehouse, according to a statement from the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, which bills itself as keeper of the global strategic maple syrup reserve.

Officials could not say exactly how much of the product was stolen, but a Quebec police official told The Globe and Mail it was a substantial quantity.

“We know that it’s millions of dollars that was stolen,” Sgt. Richard Gagné is quoted as saying. “It’s a very large amount.”

The 10 million pounds of syrup that was in the warehouse is worth more than $30 million, according to the federation statement.

The theft was discovered during a routine inventory check of the warehouse, which "had been secured by a fence and locks, and visited regularly," federation president Serge Beaulieu said in the statement.

The barrels that originally contained the syrup were empty, meaning it was somehow transferred to some other kind of containers to complete the theft, the federation said.

The warehouse where the theft occurred was being used to temporarily store the sweet stuff while a new facility was being prepared.

As much as 80% of the world's maple syrup comes from Quebec, the federation said.

Though the federation is insured for the loss, if the stolen syrup makes its way onto the market, it could hurt the group's 10,000 members.

"The marketing of the stolen maple syrup will affect the entire maple industry. It is crucial to identify those responsible for this crime," the statement said.

“Obviously those people stole the maple syrup to sell it somewhere,” federation director Anne-Marie Granger Godbout told The Globe and Mail. “If it’s a big volume, it could be very harmful for the maple syrup industry. The companies that are working in this industry will have to compete with some company that didn’t pay for the maple syrup.”

The federation said the theft shouldn't affect supplies available to the public.

"The sales agency's maple syrup inventory is spread across several storage locations which were not subject to theft," Beaulieu said in the statement.

The amount in the warehouse represents about one-10th of Quebec's 2012 harvest and more than 25% of the federation's stock, CNN affiliate CBC reported

Beginner Warrior

Either a tsunami of sweetness is going to be aimed at some city held for ransom, or a mysterious collective has discovered a way to replace gasoline with sugar and is going to start selling it soon.

This story had better be followed by journalists. It's kind of amazing.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
You'd think that would be hard to fence.

Adorable Trickster

I actually have the weirdest respect right now for whoever can make off with 10 million pounds of maple syrup. That'd be a b***h to explain.

"Hello, officer, is there a problem?"
"What's in the truck?"
"Just ten million pounds of raw MAPLE SYRUP."
[Barbarella]
Either a tsunami of sweetness is going to be aimed at some city held for ransom, or a mysterious collective has discovered a way to replace gasoline with sugar and is going to start selling it soon.

This story had better be followed by journalists. It's kind of amazing.

Or a hotel chain is filling all its swimming pools with a heck of a treat.

Fashionable Bibliophile

9,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
That is a lot of maple syrup. eek

I hope they find the thieves! scream

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Is it just me or does that setup say "please steal"? Millions of dollars of syrup being held in one place. The theft wasn't discovered until a "routine inventory check" meaning either there was so much syrup no one noticed a few million dollars worth of it missing or no one was paying attention to the warehouse at all. In either case you'd think even the cheapest security system would pick something up quicker than inventory just sort of discovering it.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
David2074

I wouldn't be looking to fence it. I'd be busy cooking a few billion pancakes.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Goldgato
Is it just me or does that setup say "please steal"? Millions of dollars of syrup being held in one place. The theft wasn't discovered until a "routine inventory check" meaning either there was so much syrup no one noticed a few million dollars worth of it missing or no one was paying attention to the warehouse at all. In either case you'd think even the cheapest security system would pick something up quicker than inventory just sort of discovering it.

It does seem strange that no one would have noticed so much product moving out the warehouse. Even if the warehouse was very busy, you'd think that someone would be checking papers and seeing that the right things were removed.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
David2074

I wouldn't be looking to fence it. I'd be busy cooking a few billion pancakes.

Aha!
It was probably the local VFW hall, Shriners or what ever other local group around there has those Saturday pancake feed fundraisers! smile
Vampirate Kitsune
Goldgato

It does seem strange that no one would have noticed so much product moving out the warehouse. Even if the warehouse was very busy, you'd think that someone would be checking papers and seeing that the right things were removed.

The containers weren't moved, so it wasn't obvious. At least we know it wasn't smuggled out the way the way some cocaine is...I'll stop there.
Because human buttocks cannot contain that much liquid :X

Up to 10 million pounds of syrup was in the warehouse, according to a statement from the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, which bills itself as keeper of the global strategic maple syrup reserve.

rofl Liquid gold, baby. The new gold standard.
Little Mew Berry
wtf canada.
We Canadians loove our Male Syrup, eh!
Bongardo
Little Mew Berry
wtf canada.

eek Somehow, I don't think that was a typo. *elbows you* wink/nudge
OV8ION
Bongardo
Little Mew Berry
wtf canada.

eek Somehow, I don't think that was a typo. *elbows you* wink/nudge

I actually had to re-read that several times before I saw what you meant, lol. MAPLE syrup, not MALE. OMFG...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff