Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
Quote:
Mark 'Coonrippy' Brown Runs For Governor To Get His Seized Raccoon Rebekah Back

An Internet legend entered the Tennessee gubernatorial race in an effort to get back his pet raccoon, who was seized by authorities last year.

Mark 'Coonrippy' Brown, 55, stole the Internet's heart after videos of him showering with his pet raccoon, Rebekah, went viral on YouTube. Since July, he's been fighting to regain custody after wildlife officials went to his home in Gallatin and confiscated her.

He feels that his best chance to get Rebekah back is to challenge incumbent Gov. Bill Haslam in the Republican primary in August, the Gallatin News Examiner reports.

Brown's latest move follows two unsuccessful attempts to get his raccoon back. His letter requesting a permit from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency went unanswered, and a petition to Haslam with more than 60,000 signatures was reportedly never opened.

"Governor Haslam ignored the cries from the entire United States," Brown told the paper.

His bid for governor, which began on Jan. 4, is "all about the raccoon." His first campaign speech (video below) was as kooky and endearing as the story that brought him into the national spotlight.

"We are one nation under God -- not above God," he says in the video. "And just like the purity of this apple ... well, I don't know where I was going with that, but I guarantee there will be changes made. Changes you'll like. You call me, I promise I'll answer the phone."

He said he's not deterred by the fact that he has no campaign experience, and hopes he can ride his Internet fame on his way to freeing the raccoon. Brown has taken to his Facebook page to garner support.

Last year, a TWRA spokesman Don King said Rebekah was seized when a neighbor complained. King told The Tennessean at the time that raccoons simply aren't suitable as pets and can be unpredictable.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Reverse Psychology

Dogs aren't predictable! They kill, injure and maim more people than a raccoon does.

Best of luck to Mark Brown.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I'd vote for him.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Still a better governor candidate than anything Texas has seen in a couple decades

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Steam Punk Adept
Still a better governor candidate than anything Texas has seen in a couple decades
Hey you still get those Cheap Lightbulbs, quit your bitching. Perry Said he wouldn't force the lightbulb law.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
xdivision_whitey
Steam Punk Adept
Hey you still get those Cheap Lightbulbs, quit your bitching. Perry Said he wouldn't force the lightbulb law.

Not that it matters since those bulbs are not being made anymore anyway.

I am all for him having the raccoon as long as she gets her rabies and distemper shots and all that (like any dog or cat). Clearly he took good care of her.

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Nice platform.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Racoons are not supposed to be pets, they are wild animals. I doubt this man will get anywhere, he should consider getting an acceptable pet like a dog.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Don't raccoon tend to destroy homes?
Can one even train a raccoon?
I'm confused.
Tsuki_Kirkland
Racoons are not supposed to be pets, they are wild animals. I doubt this man will get anywhere, he should consider getting an acceptable pet like a dog.

Pets are just wild animals who we have trained to behave in a certain way. A raccoon can certainly be a pet.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Mei tsuki7
Tsuki_Kirkland

Pets are just wild animals who we have trained to behave in a certain way. A raccoon can certainly be a pet.

No, a raccoon is a wild animal. It is not meant to be a pet but is supposed to live in the wild.
Tsuki_Kirkland
Mei tsuki7
Tsuki_Kirkland

No, a raccoon is a wild animal. It is not meant to be a pet but is supposed to live in the wild.

There is no animal "meant" to be a pet. There are animals that used to be wild that we domesticated though. All animals are "wild" animals. Hence the existence of feral cats and dogs. Again, pets are just wild animals we have trained to behave in certain ways.

Profitable Hunter

7,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Profitable 100

Loyal Exhibitionist

Any animal can be a pet. Some are just easier than others. Much easier.

I know of someone that had a tiger as a pet. A family had a buffalo as a pet. Heck, last night I saw a video of a guy playing with his pet fox (which was just ADORABLE).

So it would be possible to have a raccoon as a pet.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Any animal can be a pet. Some are just easier than others. Much easier.

I know of someone that had a tiger as a pet. A family had a buffalo as a pet. Heck, last night I saw a video of a guy playing with his pet fox (which was just ADORABLE).

So it would be possible to have a raccoon as a pet.
Was this the buffalo that liked to drink Budweiser and ride in a car or was it another one?
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=9614.0;nowap

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces