Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Smoker

14,800 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I'm surprised his teeth didn't dissolve out of his head.
Janine Melnitz
Hopefully, he didn't pick up a chronic disease along the way. Hopeople he can lose the extra tonnage quickly.

If you posted that on tumblr, you would be asked to check your thin privilege or some bullshit like that.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
He got a soda belly!
But seriously, I'd make myself sick trying to drink ten sodas a week.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
This just seems... stupid.
10 cans of coke is roughly 14 ounces of sugar a day - plus whatever else he ate.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that if you eat close to a pound of sugar a day you are likely to gain weight.

Would it amaze the world if I eat a case of twinkies every day and then call it "news" when I gain weight?

Or to put it another way - Anyone who would need an article like this to realize they were drinking too much soda isn't likely to get it anyway.

I find it more interesting when things conflict with each other.

Like the people that tried eating 30 days of McDonalds, because of the movie, and ended up losing weight. A couple of them were teachers. One with the message that 'it's what you eat not where you eat' for his students.

In no news, I tried eating only Ice Cream because poor and what the hell. I ended up losing weight on only Ice Cream. Meanwhile, Slim Fast makes me gain weight. I think the portions may be too large with Slim Fast. Other then that I have no idea why it makes me and others gain weight. I am not obsessed with weight, I just thought it would be a good way of getting nutrients at the time.

I have been told by others that when they tried only Ice Cream to be weird, they also lost weight.

I have been told by others that when they tried Slim Fast, they also gained weight.

I've never tried eating just either of those things.
I'm pretty sure ice cream would not make me lose weight because I can eat way more ice cream than is good for me. I have some diet drinks from Costco that are sort of similar to slimfast but they have never been my sole food. More like once in a while a meal on the go.

And if you like things that conflict -
See my other post in this thread about how the nutrition information on a coke can does not add up.
Stated calories per can =/= stated grams of sugar per can x calories per gram of sugar.
Or at least not based on the info I was seeing on several sites last night. Coca-cola is a huge company and surely someone besides me would spot this --- so - thinking maybe I did something wrong or they have some legal loophole in the way they are adding up the calories or something. Either way it's not like they are trying to pass off coke as a nutritious diet drink.
But it did make me go hmmm.

I have seen a lot of issues where the amount of sugar in something exceeds the size of that something.

As for soda pop / soft drinks, they often have a smaller serving size then the container holds. This creates problems... so many problems. But, yeah, it's normal for sugar and calories to not add up if you actually read things.

I usually don't care or pay attention to nutritional info. But when I look... things usually don't make sense on things. Or there is some fine print. Or the package is more then one serving. Or it's if you add something (like fat free milk).

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
10 cans of coke is roughly 14 ounces of sugar a day - plus whatever else he ate.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that if you eat close to a pound of sugar a day you are likely to gain weight.

Would it amaze the world if I eat a case of twinkies every day and then call it "news" when I gain weight?

Or to put it another way - Anyone who would need an article like this to realize they were drinking too much soda isn't likely to get it anyway.

Like the people that tried eating 30 days of McDonalds, because of the movie, and ended up losing weight. A couple of them were teachers. One with the message that 'it's what you eat not where you eat' for his students.

In no news, I tried eating only Ice Cream because poor and what the hell. I ended up losing weight on only Ice Cream. Meanwhile, Slim Fast makes me gain weight. I think the portions may be too large with Slim Fast. Other then that I have no idea why it makes me and others gain weight. I am not obsessed with weight, I just thought it would be a good way of getting nutrients at the time.

I have been told by others that when they tried only Ice Cream to be weird, they also lost weight.

I have been told by others that when they tried Slim Fast, they also gained weight.

I'm pretty sure ice cream would not make me lose weight because I can eat way more ice cream than is good for me. I have some diet drinks from Costco that are sort of similar to slimfast but they have never been my sole food. More like once in a while a meal on the go.

See my other post in this thread about how the nutrition information on a coke can does not add up.
Stated calories per can =/= stated grams of sugar per can x calories per gram of sugar.
Or at least not based on the info I was seeing on several sites last night. Coca-cola is a huge company and surely someone besides me would spot this --- so - thinking maybe I did something wrong or they have some legal loophole in the way they are adding up the calories or something. Either way it's not like they are trying to pass off coke as a nutritious diet drink.

I have seen a lot of issues where the amount of sugar in something exceeds the size of that something.

As for soda pop / soft drinks, they often have a smaller serving size then the container holds. This creates problems... so many problems. But, yeah, it's normal for sugar and calories to not add up if you actually read things.

I usually don't care or pay attention to nutritional info. But when I look... things usually don't make sense on things. Or there is some fine print. Or the package is more then one serving. Or it's if you add something (like fat free milk).

Yeah, I thought about the serving size but in this case it is 1 can = 1 serving.
And of course they are not assuming you are going to be cooking it or adding other ingredients.
Interestingly, the calorie content of some foods changes when you cook it. As in - same amount of food before and after cooking is different (not just due to swelling up when cooking or something)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074

Yeah, I thought about the serving size but in this case it is 1 can = 1 serving.
And of course they are not assuming you are going to be cooking it or adding other ingredients.
Interestingly, the calorie content of some foods changes when you cook it. As in - same amount of food before and after cooking is different (not just due to swelling up when cooking or something)

It says a serving size is 8 ounces (I noticed because the Sodium didn't make sense).

The can contains 12.

The can is 1.5x the information listed.

If you ever look at sugar cube pyramids next to containers/portions of things, the sugar cubes will often exceed the size of the container or portion. It totally doesn't make sense the more you think about it.

I know one of the issues is testing will give different results then the amount that went in as ingredients. I wonder if Corn Syrup test higher in Sugar then pure Sugar does. So the testing results that they have to use to put on Nutritional information is often far off from realistic.

Maybe Americans are getting Less Sugar then the Test say we are...?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074

It says a serving size is 8 ounces (I noticed because the Sodium didn't make sense).

The can contains 12.

If you ever look at sugar cube pyramids next to containers/portions of things, the sugar cubes will often exceed the size of the container or portion. It totally doesn't make sense the more you think about it.

I know one of the issues is testing will give different results then the amount that went in as ingredients. I wonder if Corn Syrup test higher in Sugar then pure Sugar does. So the testing results that they have to use to put on Nutritional information is often far off from realistic.

Read it again.
It says the serving size is 1 can.
It says it is low sodium if you only drink 8 oz but that is separate from the USFDA required nutrition label.

Probably where the sodium / 8 oz comes in is if you look at photos of the nutrition labels for larger containers of coke (like a bottle of it) then some of those list the serving size as 8 oz. But they also say 100 calories instead of 145.
Not doubt they decided it would look really wonky to tell folks the serving size of a can they can't close is 2/3 of the can. smile

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074

The can contains 12.

Read it again.
It says the serving size is 1 can.
It says it is low sodium if you only drink 8 oz but that is separate from the USFDA required nutrition label.

Probably where the sodium / 8 oz comes in is if you look at photos of the nutrition labels for larger containers of coke (like a bottle of it) then some of those list the serving size as 8 oz. But they also say 100 calories instead of 145.
Not doubt they decided it would look really wonky to tell folks the serving size of a can they can't close is 2/3 of the can. smile

I'm used to things saying 1.5-2.5 servings per can/bottle and stuff like that but I haven't been reading labels much.

Yeah, that low sodium if 8 fl ounces is throwing me off.

Distinct Member

David2074
Unconditional Heart
I can safely say it's easy to lose most of the weight as it is he comes for those who drink cokes, (not necessarily 10 a day, that's crazy, I drink 2-3 since its like one can, and one medium coke at work., I needs to quit entirely.)

I quit cokes for 40 days. (Lent.) and lost around 5 pounds right off. I actually extended it anothe month and lost another 5?

The sugars can make you gain excessively, and half can be lost if you quit drinking them entirely.

Do you mind me asking how old you are?
As you age and your metabolism changes (slows down mainly) there is a huge difference in how easy the pounds come off.
When I was a teen if I did nothing more than stopped eating cake at lunch time I lost about five pounds a week and I was already too skinny according to some of my friends.

At 50+ I am significantly overweight and most of the time I eat very healthy food. Mostly cooked from scratch - stir fry, lots of veggies, less meat than I used to eat and more of that stuff other than beef. Rarely ever eat fast food any more. Rarely ever have a drink. Smoothies with kale juice and such. (And so on). Yet I find it very difficult to lose weight. When I was young it seemed like food / diet would never be a problem. Now to look at me you'd think I eat a lot of twinkies or something and I don't. And I've been tested for thyroid and diabetes and some other stuff like that.

So I'm thinking - this guy is 50 and only a little overweight so he may not have trouble losing that extra 20 pounds but it might not be as easy as you think.

On a side note -
Those photos in the article are not really fair. In the 'before' photo he is facing straight on and obviously sucking it in. In the after photo he is turned at a 45 and obviously letting it hang out. Not saying he didn't really gain the weight but the photos were taken with intent to show a particular result. If you look closely in the first photo you can see that he has some gut that would have shown more if he was turned sideways.

Though - that isn't as bad as a box in Walmart my daughter pointed out to me one time. It was some piece of exercise equipment and had 'before' and 'after' photos. Except it was real obvious the before and after were the SAME photo - just Photoshopped. Not even well done photoshop. We had a good laugh over it.

28, when I lost the weight I was 24?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Unconditional Heart

Oh, yeah. I was still immortal back then.
Wait a few decades. smile

I think for me I started noticing a slow down about maybe age 44 or 45.
Because everyone talks about how about age 40 your metabolism slows down a lot and when I turned 40 I felt the same and kind of thought, "Oh, I dodged that bullet".
Then about four years later I started noticing it and was kind of like... "OH" eek

Distinct Member

David2074
Unconditional Heart

Because everyone talks about how about age 40 your metabolism slows down a lot and when I turned 40 I felt the same and kind of thought, "Oh, I dodged that bullet".
Then about four years later I started noticing it and was kind of like... "OH" eek

XD lol.
I am trying to lose a few more pounds by kicking my cola habit. Been weaning off for four years, so I may cold turkey the rest starting this week.
After my first pregnancy I noticed I did not lose all the baby weight so I started losing weight till I got pregnant again roughly a year and nine months ago?
Yeah, trying to lose weight and cokes not a good thing. And I eat generally healthy.

Lonely Wolf

JamesWN
David2074

I'd be more amazed that someone could eat a whole case of nasty-a** Twinkies...

SHUT UP! scream I love twinkies! heart

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Unconditional Heart
David2074
Unconditional Heart

XD lol.
I am trying to lose a few more pounds by kicking my cola habit. Been weaning off for four years, so I may cold turkey the rest starting this week.
After my first pregnancy I noticed I did not lose all the baby weight so I started losing weight till I got pregnant again roughly a year and nine months ago?
Yeah, trying to lose weight and cokes not a good thing. And I eat generally healthy.

Having babies certainly doesn't help.
Not a problem for me as as guy but both of my daughters have three kids so yeah, I get that one.

If your coke addiction is the caffeine you could switch to coffee or something.
I usually have one cup of coffee in the morning but I'm not a 'drink it all day' kind of person.
Omnileech
David2074

I find it alarming how much weight he put on so quickly. 10 cans of soda isn't even a lot.

Seriously?!?
TBh, I'm less concerned with his ability to loose weight, and instead the health complications with consuming that much sugar everyday for a month. I hope he doesn't have diabetes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff