Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

EWWWW!!!!

Greedy Consumer

They should be sued for not providing the proper testing for roach allergies, honestly who knows if they are allergic to roaches or not.

Omnipresent Demigod

HDMl
████████████████████████████████████████ ███

That;s just horrible, & also disgusting.

█████████████████ ██████████████████████████
*GAG*

Why would anybody even do that? Is a snake worth it?
WTF!? EW, I would not even consider trying that!

Aged Fox

A python as the prize, really? Screw that, if I want a python I'll just buy it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
We Are Organisms
They should be sued for not providing the proper testing for roach allergies, honestly who knows if they are allergic to roaches or not.

Life does not work that way. The consumer is responsible for figuring out what he/she is allergic to. Allergy testing takes time and typically both a blood draw and lab. It is unreasonable to expect every restaurant, nursery, paint store or anyone else selling something you 'might' be allergic to to provide or pay for the allergy testing. If you are allergic to peanuts you don't enter the peanut eating contest. Simple as that. I'm not even sure where you would get 'cockroach allergy testing' but I assume it is out there - though if you had any thought you had allergies you should probably give the weird mystery 'foods' a pass. Plus - the contestants probably signed waivers saying the pet store was not liable.

I think this is what comes from people being bored with old school stuff like a pie eating contest. Vendors keep trying to come up with new / exciting / OMG stuff and you end up with people dying from eating cockroaches or that other article about the girl who lost her stomach from drinking a cocktail with liquid nitrogen in it.

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
It must be really weird for the pathologist to open him up and see all these half-digested roaches in his stomach.

Adored Admirer

Demyan The Devil
It must be really weird for the pathologist to open him up and see all these half-digested roaches in his stomach.

emotion_puke

Dapper Spotter

Damn, what a way to go.

I can see this being a new episode for 1,000 Ways to Die 4laugh

Clean Member

Thats nasty!! why would u eat that sh*t anyways!! youd have to be pretty sick!! xp

Clean Member

Spindlewick
Damn, what a way to go.

I can see this being a new episode for 1,000 Ways to Die 4laugh

HAHA soo true....i could see it now... up next...man dies eating cockroaches!!! lmao!!

Noble Hero

16,900 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Super Tipsy 200
Pink Panzer
*GAG*

Why would anybody even do that? Is a snake worth it?
Snakes don't seem nearly as bad as roaches. I'd rather eat a snake 30 times over a roach.
Why the ******** would you do a roach and worm eating contest for a python?

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
This is so many kinds of wrong. The contest, not the man's death.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff