Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
I say we zap this guy. He was prepared for death anyways.

CNN News

Quote:
An airport worker was arrested Friday trying to detonate a vehicle packed with explosives he thought were real in a suicide attack at a Wichita Mid-Continent Airport terminal in Kansas, federal officials said.

Authorities are calling him a lone wolf.

Terry Loewen, 58, who was an avionics technician at the airport, was taken into custody without incident about 6:40 a.m. ET "when he attempted to open a security gate with his pass" and drive a vehicle he believed to be packed with explosives onto the airport tarmac, said U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom.

"He planned to pull the trigger on the explosives himself and die in the explosion," a Justice Department news release said.

"In fact, these explosives were inert, and it was not a bomb that would ever explode," Grissom said, adding that the airport perimeter was never breached and "no one was placed in any jeopardy."

The arrest came as part of an undercover FBI probe, according to the Justice Department statement, which didn't provide further details.

Loewen, who became the subject of a federal investigation early this summer, hoped to commit an "act of violent jihad against the United States" and spent months studying the airport's layout, photographing airport access points, researching flight schedules and assisting in the acquisition of car bomb components, Grissom said.

Loewen hoped to detonate his bomb during peak traffic time for the airport, exacting maximum destruction, Grissom said.

Loewen is charged with one count of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, one count of attempting to damage property by means of an explosive and one count of attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization.
Officials did not answer questions or elaborate on the third charge during a Friday news conference.

FBI Evidence Response Teams are executing search warrants related to the case, and the investigation is ongoing, the Justice Department said.
No additional arrests are expected, Grissom said, and Loewen was not working with any "religious community" in Wichita.

If convicted, Loewen would face a maximum penalty of life in prison.

"Lone wolves, homegrown violent extremists, remain a very serious threat to our nation's security," FBI Special Agent in Charge Michael Kaste said in a news release. "Today's arrest emphasizes the continual need for the public to remain vigilant as law enforcement relies on the public's assistance."

The Wichita Mid-Continent Airport is west of the city and is the busiest airport in Kansas.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Wow , I wonder if he just snapped or what lead him to do that sort of thing .Thank goodness he failed, that would of caused major damage to have a bomb go off at peak hours in an airport.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
Wow , I wonder if he just snapped or what lead him to do that sort of thing .Thank goodness he failed, that would of caused major damage to have a bomb go off at peak hours in an airport.

The reason he failed is that his "accomplices" were undercover law enforcement agents, and they supplied him with fake materials. So, he could not have possibly done any harm given these circumstances. He thought he was going to set off a real bomb, he didn't realize it was fake.

That said, it is a good thing that undercover law enforcement got to him before anyone intending to cause real harm could. Otherwise, this story would have turned out much worse. :(

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Roy Cura

Good for them then, although I’m not so sure that letting him go ahead even with fake materials was a good idea.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
Roy Cura

Good for them then, although I’m not so sure that letting him go ahead even with fake materials was a good idea.

They couldn't have arrested him otherwise.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Roy Cura
Tsuki_Kirkland
Roy Cura

If they knew he was planning it I think they could of , but then again I’m no law expert.

Excitable Strawberry

Roy Cura
Tsuki_Kirkland
Roy Cura

This is true, considering he was alone. If he was working with others, he couldstill be charged with conspiracy, etc.

Omnipresent Warlord

Roy Cura
Tsuki_Kirkland
Roy Cura

He could be charged with conspiracy, but given that would be a crime of intent then it would have been much harder to prove and with a lighter sentence. The guy could have also claimed entrapment and have had a stronger case than walking into an airport on his own volition and trying to blow it up.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Omnileech
Roy Cura
Tsuki_Kirkland
Roy Cura

He could be charged with conspiracy, but given that would be a crime of intent then it would have been much harder to prove and with a lighter sentence. The guy could have also claimed entrapment and have had a stronger case than walking into an airport on his own volition and trying to blow it up.

Yes, I was thinking about entrapment in this case.

It seems like he expressed in initial intent to commit a crime, and then the law enforcement kind of played along until he actually tried to commit one. I'm not the most savvy on entrapment laws but I think he can be fairly prosecuted here.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
This is way to close to home for me. I am glad he was caught.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff