Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

Source and picture
Yesterday,Time reported that London construction workers, in the process digging a new railway, discovered what seems to be a mass grave for victims of the Black Death. Although cause of death has yet to be established, the location of 13 skeletons corresponds with historic records for a 14th century plague burial ground.

Lead archaeologist Jay Carver sent samples to other researchers who will establish cause of death, and hope to obtain the DNA of plague bacteria. Other than the historical records, the shallow depth of the grave as well as other artifacts from the 14th century discovered nearby lend credibility to the theory that the occupants are plague victims. “This is a pretty rare find within London,” he said.

Workers on the railway, the Crossrail project, have already encountered a number of interesting artifacts including: 55million year-old amber, 68,000 year-old mammoth and bison bones, remains from Roman time, Victorian-era jars, medieval ice skates, and the ruins of a manor from the 1500s as well as an 18th century shipyard.

The Black Death killed an estimated 75 million people in England by the mid 1300s. Millions more died across Europe, Asia, and North Africa. The bones present no danger as the bacteria dies quickly without a host, however modern cases of the Black Death have been reported as the disease is still carried by fleas.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
lets see who get sick.

Wintry Dragon

Kings. Knights. More dead unearthed.

England's going to be ground zero for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Seriously, let's just dig up the entire country. There are obviously going to be more graves

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Why don't these Railway Workers just have Film Crews on standby?

I mean,.. sounds like they should have a Documentary series at this point. Maybe three seasons worth so far x_x

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Wow that's pretty cool some of the stuff they've found. I'm sure they'll have to stop construction until they get the remains excavated.

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
Watch, next they're going to dig up a castle while building a McDonald's

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
If I remember correctly there was an article I saw that claimed there could be up to 50000 ancient bodies underneath London.

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
I wonder what they are going to find next... Maybe the Holy Grail?
******** ya black death
I just hope the bodies are given a respectful re-burial somewhere else when the scientists have finished their 'interesting-and-essential-work-which-will-make-such-a-difference-to-everyone's-lives'.

~Snow

Lonely Saint

This sounds exactly like the plot of the Zombie Apocalypse book I'm reading. Uncanny.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff