Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Super Fightin Prototype
Vampirate Kitsune
And this is a problem because......?

I wonder who's really upset by the thought of drafting *gasp* women. The young, who've grown up with increasing opportunities and advances towards equality for women or the older, who can't imagine women being capable of fighting and killing and dying just like men.

The people most upset by it are probably those who oppose war in general.
Or don't want more deaths because of lowering standard. They did it with Firefighters. Women get a different weight limits.
They shouldn't do that. All soldiers (and firefighters) should be able to meet the same minimum requirements.

This. I strongly dislike the idea of altering standards in situations where physical strength is a necessity and someone's life may be on the line.
Looking at this chart I think the vast majority of women should be able to reach the minimum size requirements to enlist, and strength and speed are built up with training. If either sex fails to meet strength and speed requirements after basic, they should wash out of infantry etc but that still leaves about a zillion other positions.

Those types of standards should be different for females and males due to a difference in physiology. It's strength and fitness standards that should be the same not body mass or weight standards.
Super Fightin Prototype
I've been waiting for YEARS for this to happen, if only to show that equal rights is about sharing both the benefits and drawbacks and not picking and choosing what you want to have based on what fits your non-religious lifestyle choices.

Quote:
"You can't pick and choose when equality should apply to you," Hegar said. "Making generalized statements like, 'Women are capable of being in combat' or 'Women are incapable of being in combat,' are equally ignorant. People are either competent or they're not competent."

That man deserves a medal. It's about damn time.
This is pretty much well said.

I think the only exception for the women will be if they're mothers or have physical limitations, but I say shove em in there!

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Coma and Tail
Super Fightin Prototype
I've been waiting for YEARS for this to happen, if only to show that equal rights is about sharing both the benefits and drawbacks and not picking and choosing what you want to have based on what fits your non-religious lifestyle choices.

Quote:
"You can't pick and choose when equality should apply to you," Hegar said. "Making generalized statements like, 'Women are capable of being in combat' or 'Women are incapable of being in combat,' are equally ignorant. People are either competent or they're not competent."

I think the only exception for the women will be if they're mothers or have physical limitations, but I say shove em in there!
Doesn't mean they can't be shoved into laundry duty, Cooks, nurse, home base instructors or office duty, dog trainers.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey
Or don't want more deaths because of lowering standard. They did it with Firefighters. Women get a different weight limits.
They shouldn't do that. All soldiers (and firefighters) should be able to meet the same minimum requirements.

This. I strongly dislike the idea of altering standards in situations where physical strength is a necessity and someone's life may be on the line.
Looking at this chart I think the vast majority of women should be able to reach the minimum size requirements to enlist, and strength and speed are built up with training. If either sex fails to meet strength and speed requirements after basic, they should wash out of infantry etc but that still leaves about a zillion other positions.

Those types of standards should be different for females and males due to a difference in physiology. It's strength and fitness standards that should be the same not body mass or weight standards.
Then why do they have body size/mass standards at all?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Coma and Tail
Super Fightin Prototype

Quote:

What about men who are fathers? Plenty of them got drafted.
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Pessimist
Ratttking
xdivision_whitey

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't know their reasoning for having those standards. My comment was only that the standards for body size/mass should be different depending on sex due to the physiological differences between the sexes. Not whether there should be those standards or not.
Ratttking
Coma and Tail
Super Fightin Prototype

Quote:

Personally, I don't think being a parent should disqualify you but what should is if your spouse was drafted and you have children. I also think that if you are a single parent you shouldn't be drafted.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Pessimist

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't know their reasoning for having those standards. My comment was only that the standards for body size/mass should be different depending on sex due to the physiological differences between the sexes. Not whether there should be those standards or not.
Fair enough answer.

About 20 years ago, a very small friend of mine went on a weight-gaining diet so she could enlist. She told me that the minimum size was so that they would be able to safely give a unit of blood if needed. I think she had to be 114 lbs, so this chart's figures surprised me somewhat.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail
Super Fightin Prototype

Quote:

Personally, I don't think being a parent should disqualify you but what should is if your spouse was drafted and you have children. I also think that if you are a single parent you shouldn't be drafted.
I believe that they took being a single parent or sole means of support for elderly parents into acct when we last had the draft.
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail
Super Fightin Prototype

Quote:

I believe that they took being a single parent or sole means of support for elderly parents into acct when we last had the draft.

O. I did not know that. So they'd just have to add in if your spouse is drafted and you have children. Which makes sense to add if they allow females to be drafted and will also be needed if we actually ever get gay marriage federally accepted.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Pessimist

easier to standardise gear, is my guess.

I mean, if everyone is in-between a range of sizes, it cuts down on different sizes of uniform they need to buy to supply everyone, for instance.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail

O. I did not know that. So they'd just have to add in if your spouse is drafted and you have children. Which makes sense to add if they allow females to be drafted and will also be needed if we actually ever get gay marriage federally accepted.

They might want to make some guidelines around births and breastfeeding.

When a man gains a baby, it carries no physical damage to his body. It may cause some chemical or hormonal imbalances. But he doesn't have internal damage and anemia to battle for months. So those may be some special conciderations,.. some times there is physical damage that is not immediately caught by doctors as well.

I would be against interupting Breastfeeding. It has too many things to cover quickly/simply... >.< The mother's hormones can be a wreck. Some babies have medical conditions where it's a long haul until they can find things that can be consumed by them beyond their mother's breast milk. It would be mentally and physically damaging to some babies and it would make some shotty "soldiers".

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail

I don't see why both spouses - gay or straight - could not be drafted if they have no children etc.
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail

I don't see why both spouses - gay or straight - could not be drafted if they have no children etc.

That's why I put "and you have children". I do agree if there are no dependents in the mix, since dependents can refer to children or elderly parents, then both spouses should be able to be drafted.
Sailor Tin Nyanko
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Coma and Tail

They might want to make some guidelines around births and breastfeeding.

When a man gains a baby, it carries no physical damage to his body. It may cause some chemical or hormonal imbalances. But he doesn't have internal damage and anemia to battle for months. So those may be some special conciderations,.. some times there is physical damage that is not immediately caught by doctors as well.

I would be against interupting Breastfeeding. It has too many things to cover quickly/simply... >.< The mother's hormones can be a wreck. Some babies have medical conditions where it's a long haul until they can find things that can be consumed by them beyond their mother's breast milk. It would be mentally and physically damaging to some babies and it would make some shotty "soldiers".

I would see those as medical conditions which would disqualify you just as easily as if you had just had surgery or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff