Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

Quote:
Some people are frugal. Some people are tightwads. And others are so cheap, even they consider themselves to be extreme. Yahoo! Shine talked to three super-savers -- stars of TLC's new show, "Extreme Cheapskates," which debuts on October 16 -- to get tips on how everyday people can go for extreme savings.

"I would say 'cheapskate' is probably an understatement for me," Roy Haynes, 62, told Yahoo! Shine in an interview. "Some people think outside the box. I tend to live outside the box."

Haynes will happily dumpster dive for gifts and items to fix and resell and, while he won't touch food from the trash, he has no problem taking leftovers from a restaurant -- even if they come from other diners.

"We go out to eat every now and then, and I ask the people at the next table for their leftover food to take home," he told Yahoo! Shine. "That's fine. I have no qualms with that."

He married his longtime girlfriend years ago so he could be on her health insurance, but she's not always a fan of his extreme frugality. "Lisa sort of frowns upon some of my ways," he admits. When he starts eying other people's dinners, she'll walk out of the restaurant; she also hates it when he unwinds the two-ply toilet paper in order to make separate, single-ply rolls.

He'll go to great lengths to save a few cents -- he has a clothesline in his Huntington, Vermont, living room where he hangs the paper towels he washes and reuses, sharpens disposable razor blades, and makes his own cleaning supplies -- but Haynes has a big reason for pinching his pennies: He and his wife run a non-profit pet rescue center, Save Our Strays, out of their home.

"We've been doing this for 15 years," he says. The money he saves goes to pay for food and veterinarian bills for the pets they rescue. "It's a full-time job that doesn't pay anything," he explains. "We derive no income from it. That's why we have to save every penny we can."

Abdul-Salaam Mohammed, a hot-dog cart business owner in Sioux Falls, South Dakaota, cuts his expenses by haggling for everything, from food and utility bills to gifts and party supplies.

"First, you have to have the bravery to ask," he told Yahoo! Shine. "Most people are too intimidated to even ask for a cheaper price."

Most businesses have sales, discounts, and mark downs, he points out. "Don't be so willing to give up so quickly," he advises. "If you're not embarrassed by how low your offer is, then you didn't get a great deal."

He recently bought a $7,000 used car for $3,500 in cash, thanks to his keen haggling skills, and threw an anniversary party for his wife for just $25. The money they save funds family trips to places like Aruba, China, and the Dominican Republic, but his kids -- ages 17, 14, and 12 -- aren't impressed.

"They're still at that embarrassed stage right now," he admits. "Maybe when they get a little older."

Ben Livingston of Austin, Texas, is a 54-year-old artist who's gotten creative about ways to keep his costs low. He covers himself in cornstarch to beat the Texas heat, and gets his drinking water from a creek nearby.

"We have a lot of artisan springs here that come out of the ground," he told Yahoo! Shine. "Why would I spend money on awful tap water that has all these impurities in it when I can go down and get really lovely creek water that's coming out of a spring?"

"I've been an self-supporting artist for 30 years," he explained. "When you work on a shoestring budget, you have to keep your expenses down."

His thrifty ways extend to his artwork: He crafts his neon sculptures from scraps and shards gathered from glass makers and neon shops. (You can see some of his work at BenLivingston.com.)

Because he works with glass, deep cuts are a fact of life. But Livingston handles these work-related injuries himself: He has friends and clients who are doctors, and they taught him how to suture. "I have sewn myself up on my kitchen sink so many times," he says. "I have probably saved… God only knows. It's fantastic!"

He does have health insurance -- "I'm not stupid, I'm just frugal," he quips -- but he, his wife, and their 30-year-old daughter live debt-free thanks to his penny-pinching ways.

"If you get into what people call the waste stream, it's kind of amazing how inexpensive you can live," he says.

Interested in trying out some of their extreme measures? Here are a few of these frugal zealots' best, easy-to-adopt tips:

-Save on your water bill by putting a brick in your toilet's tank; you'll use less water with every flush.
-Slip scraps of soap into an old sock and keep it in the shower. "It works like a scrubby thing," Livingston says.
-Be aware of what you're using. Victoria Hunt, who retired from her accounting career before she was 50, has been tracking her expenses and her income on a spreadsheet since 1989. "Every minute of every day has something to do with how I can make a better decisions financially," she points out.
-Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants.
-Instead of throwing away your coffee grounds, add a pinch of fresh coffee to the old ones and perk another pot.
-Cut open your toothpaste tube after you've squeezed all you can out of it. "You'll get an extra week's worth," Haynes says.
-Kill your cable bill and subscribe to services like Netflix that allow you to watch what you want through your gaming console, Mohammed suggests.
-Keep electrical appliances and gadgets unplugged whenever possible.
-Look for the deep discounts on out-of-season decorations, discontinued gadgets, and about-to-expire food that's still good. You don't have to dumpster dive to get something for almost free.
-Don't be afraid to ask for a discount. "I've called and had the electricity bill lowered," Mohammed says. "I just called and asked."

But the cheapskates agree that their biggest tips are to stop worrying about what other people think, stay open-minded, and believe that every little thing matters.

"You decide what it is in life that you really want to spend money on," Livingston says. "To live on a shoestring budget and to do what you want to do in life just takes a little more imagination."

Source

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Fashionable Hunter

Phallic Wonderland
o.o Wow.

Hehe, I've done these!

-Be aware of what you're using. Victoria Hunt, who retired from her accounting career before she was 50, has been tracking her expenses and her income on a spreadsheet since 1989. "Every minute of every day has something to do with how I can make a better decisions financially," she points out. (Learning accounting right now; has had a spreadsheet since September!)
-Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants.

-Cut open your toothpaste tube after you've squeezed all you can out of it. "You'll get an extra week's worth," Haynes says.

-Kill your cable bill and subscribe to services like Netflix that allow you to watch what you want through your gaming console, Mohammed suggests.

-Keep electrical appliances and gadgets unplugged whenever possible.

-Look for the deep discounts on out-of-season decorations, discontinued gadgets, and about-to-expire food that's still good. You don't have to dumpster dive to get something for almost free.

I want to try the brick one. Water bill's been going up for some reason.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

I like how creative some of these people are with saving money. Livingston's sculptures look amazing, too.

Fashionable Hunter

Super Fightin Prototype
I like how creative some of these people are with saving money. Livingston's sculptures look amazing, too.

I agree! I'm willing to bet they make it into a museum one day biggrin

(Or my dream house...that Confabulating Orbits thing is basically taken straight from the dream house I drew in 8th grade...which is still my dream house with a few changes)

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
And I thought my dad was bad. XD I draw the line at asking for other people's leftovers. Mostly because I'd be a little upset if someone asked for mine. That's my lunch tomorrow, punk! gonk

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
"TLC's new show, "Extreme Cheapskates," which debuts on October 16"
Oh goody. Another 'reality' show about mentally ill / socially awkward people. I'm guessing the spouses or kids who are not so keen on it will contribute the 'drama' aspect of the show.

"He and his wife run a non-profit pet rescue center, Save Our Strays, out of their home."
So... he's freakishly cheap AND his house smells like a cat litter box? What a keeper!

"Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants."
This is not 'saving money'. This is called STEALING. And if you are cheap enough to do that you are probably not eating out much anyway. You are probably buying something off the dollar menu then filling your pockets with condiments. If your moral values are really that out of whack then don't forget these bonus tips! -
- Buy a small coffee. Drink almost all of it. Then 'sweeten' the remainder of your coffee with 63 packets of sugar. Take it home and let it dry out and you have a free cup of sugar. Best not to use creamer for this so just stuff your pockets full of all the 1/2 & 1/2 containers you might have used.
- You are there anyway so don't forget to stuff your pockets full of napkins as well.

The comments about the guy separating the plies in his toilet paper is not 'frugal' it is 'mental'. If he likes insanely thin toilet paper and saving money then just stop by a janitorial store and buy one of those huge public restroom rolls of single ply toilet paper. it will be cheaper and save time compared to the small consumer rolls.
- Super saver pro tip! - Time your shits for when you are at McDonalds stealing the ketchup and then you can just use their toilet paper instead of yours.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

David2074
Oh goody. Another 'reality' show about mentally ill / socially awkward people. I'm guessing the spouses or kids who are not so keen on it will contribute the 'drama' aspect of the show.

"He and his wife run a non-profit pet rescue center, Save Our Strays, out of their home."
So... he's freakishly cheap AND his house smells like a cat litter box? What a keeper!

"Refill your condiment bottles at home with free packets from fast-food restaurants."
This is not 'saving money'. This is called STEALING. And if you are cheap enough to do that you are probably not eating out much anyway. You are probably buying something off the dollar menu then filling your pockets with condiments. If your moral values are really that out of whack then don't forget these bonus tips! -
- Buy a small coffee. Drink almost all of it. Then 'sweeten' the remainder of your coffee with 63 packets of sugar. Take it home and let it dry out and you have a free cup of sugar. Best not to use creamer for this so just stuff your pockets full of all the 1/2 & 1/2 containers you might have used.
- You are there anyway so don't forget to stuff your pockets full of napkins as well.

The comments about the guy separating the plies in his toilet paper is not 'frugal' it is 'mental'. If he likes insanely thin toilet paper and saving money then just stop by a janitorial store and buy one of those huge public restroom rolls of single ply toilet paper. it will be cheaper and save time compared to the small consumer rolls.
- Super saver pro tip! - Time your shits for when you are at McDonalds stealing the ketchup and then you can just use their toilet paper instead of yours.

Yeah, those ones weren't so hot in my book. The whole "oh I run a shelter" didn't keep me from thinking he was crazy. D:

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Super Fightin Prototype
Yeah, those ones weren't so hot in my book. The whole "oh I run a shelter" didn't keep me from thinking he was crazy. D:

I found myself wondering if he is collecting SSI for a mental disability or something.
Or - to put it in a less judgmental way - I wonder where he gets his money from.
No mention of a job other than working for free full time in his own shelter. He has the family's normal living expenses (no matter how frugal) plus the added expense of the mentioned vet bills and pet food and such. I don't care how cheap you are there has to be a source of income involved.

I have reused paper towels before. If it wasn't too bad set it by the sink to dry out and later use it again or use it to sop up some oil out of a pan or something. I don't have a clothesline across my living room for them though. I do have a clothesline outside but (big surprise here) I use it for clothes - but not all the time. I don't hate saving money but for me it's more about minimizing what goes into land fills or how much energy is used. I compost my garbage and recycle my paper / newspaper / glass / cans / aluminum / plastic bottles. It is surprising how much I take to recycle and how little I take to the dump.

BTW - on the paper towel thing if your whole motivation is to save money then it's dumb to use paper towels in the first place. If you want to save pennies use a cloth towel. I bought a package of terrycloth job towels from Costco. They are cheap, easy to wash in a white load and I use them for just about everything because if they get stained I don't care. It takes me a long time to go through a roll of paper towels. I have those around for particularly nasty jobs where I want to throw them away. An example might be that sticky greasy dust that accumulates under the vent fan over a kitchen stove or cleaning up a mess that includes some slivers of glass from a dropped jar of food.

I do agree with the part about asking for discounts. I don't do it all the time but I do for larger purchases. About a year ago I bought a gas powered auger (post hole digger) and accessories at Lowe's for - I forget - about $300-400 range. I asked for and received a 10% discount. I did it again this year for $200+ on a somewhat spendy bath fixture and some misc plumbing fittings to go with it. Earlier this year I spent several hundred dollars on treated lumber. I wanted to support the lumber place closest to me but they cost more. I went in and spoke to the manager and just told him honestly what the situation was and gave him the prices of the competitor. I let him know I was giving him the opportunity to match those prices but no hard feelings if that didn't work for him. In the end he gave me a better deal than that plus free delivery.

On the other hand I'm not going to quibble over a $5 item or ask strangers at restaurants to give me their leftovers.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074

Btw, taking lots of free ketchup, sugar packets, and napkins is not illegal, and therefore, is not stealing. It's also not the cheapest thing one can do (as evidenced by the other article.) If it were illegal, then I'd have a case against the 4 kids who came into the take-out place the other day because they took fistfuls of soy sauce and duck sauce packets. And then their mom came in and took like half the napkins. This is not something I can charge the woman with even though we had her name from her credit card.

Wintry Dragon

A-MAH-Zing!

Dapper Spotter

Quote:
He married his longtime girlfriend years ago so he could be on her health insurance

confused

On that note, must have been a cheap wedding.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed
David2074

Btw, taking lots of free ketchup, sugar packets, and napkins is not illegal, and therefore, is not stealing. It's also not the cheapest thing one can do (as evidenced by the other article.) If it were illegal, then I'd have a case against the 4 kids who came into the take-out place the other day because they took fistfuls of soy sauce and duck sauce packets. And then their mom came in and took like half the napkins. This is not something I can charge the woman with even though we had her name from her credit card.

It may not be something you are able to prosecute for but anyone with common sense knows it is stealing. Condiments are provided to go with your meal. If you are taking obviously way more than you need for your meal it is obvious you are taking them for another purpose. The problem is a good defense lawyer could argue a large amount was needed due to some personal preference or something and create 'reasonable doubt' so cops would likely not bother writing it up. Let's take it a notch higher. Many restaurants store backup condiments in a cabinet below the condiment counter. Let's say your example family reached under the counter and took whole cases of ketchup / soy sauce / napkins. It's still the same 'free' stuff but at that point the cops would probably let you press charges.

The definition of "steal" is:
"Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle"."
It might not be a scenario you could easily prosecute but on a moral compass it is still stealing.

But even if not any decent person watching would still mentally say "WTF?" as they walked out of the store with them. Assholes like that are the reason the rest of us are inconvenienced at many restaurants by having to ask for some ketchup because it is all behind the counter. Something can be morally wrong even if it is not technically legally wrong. In fact most laws are written reactivelly rather than proactively. They are written in response to things some people are doing that most people consider 'wrong'.
Whether or not you would go to jail for stuffing your pockets with ketchup and soy packets I think it is horrible advice to put into a 'saving money' news article.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Spindlewick
Quote:
He married his longtime girlfriend years ago so he could be on her health insurance

confused

The wedding was done over Skype with guests logging on to watch so they didn't have to rent a church. They kept the camera on head shots so they didn't have to wear any wedding clothes.

Afterwards the reception was held in a Wal-mart parking lot. The ketchup and sugar packets weren't the best reception food but the used paper towels were folded in a very fancy way. Also on the plus side the limited amount of food at the reception made it less likely you would have to go to the bathroom and use the hand separated single ply toilet paper. Also the reused coffee grounds and teabags kept the beverages from being too strong. Afterwards they saved money on gas by picking up a few things they needed at Wal-mart since they were already there. Wal-mart embraced the idea saying, "We like to be associated with freaks! Have you seen the web site?"

(all made up of course. I have no idea what they did. I doubt the wedding could have been any weirder than the marriage. smile )

Dapper Spotter

David2074
Spindlewick
Quote:

confused

The wedding was done over Skype with guests logging on to watch so they didn't have to rent a church. They kept the camera on head shots so they didn't have to wear any wedding clothes.

Afterwards the reception was held in a Wal-mart parking lot. The ketchup and sugar packets weren't the best reception food but the used paper towels were folded in a very fancy way. Also on the plus side the limited amount of food at the reception made it less likely you would have to go to the bathroom and use the hand separated single ply toilet paper. Also the reused coffee grounds and teabags kept the beverages from being too strong. Afterwards they saved money on gas by picking up a few things they needed at Wal-mart since they were already there. Wal-mart embraced the idea saying, "We like to be associated with freaks! Have you seen the web site?"

(all made up of course. I have no idea what they did. I doubt the wedding could have been any weirder than the marriage. smile )

Haha that was great!
Their honeymoon was probably at Applebee's....but they got by with asking other patrons for their used food.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff