Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

LEGO sets in the 1970s came with a special set of instructions – for parents to stop gender stereotyping. “It’s imagination that counts,” declares the toy manufacturer’s note, unearthed by Redditor fryd_ from his partner’s Grandma’s house in a set from 1974 and posted online Nov. 22 under the headline, “70s Lego had the right idea.” The letter spells out, “A lot of boys like dolls houses. They’re more human than spaceships. A lot of girls prefer spaceships. They’re more exciting than doll houses.”

And though the message is more than four decades old, it clearly still resonates today. The missive prompted more than 2,200 comments in just two days. Another man’s tweet with a photo of the letter, titled “Lego had it nailed in the 70’s,” has been re-tweeted more than 7,000 times.

Skeptics initially questioned the authenticity of the note, even though people around the world posted matching instructions online in a variety of languages, but LEGO confirms it’s legit. “The text is from 1974 and was part of a pamphlet showing a variety of Lego doll house products,” spokeswoman Emma Owen told The Telegraph Nov. 24. “It remains relevant to this day – our focus has always been, and remains to bring creative play experiences to all children in the world…to build and create whatever they can imagine.”

The company has come under fire in recent years, after it introduced its pink-and-purple heavy “Friends” line in 2011 responding to market research that found 90 percent of Lego users were boys. Critics insisted the pastel sets perpetuated gender stereotypes, yet the products were enormously popular, becoming LEGO’s fourth best-selling line by the end of 2012 and tripling the number of girls buying LEGOs among their 75 million customers.

Boys or girls, pink or blue, CEO Jørgen Vig Knudstorp vows LEGO’s focus has always been on fostering creativity, period. “All children are unique, and each of them has a range of interests,” he writes in LEGO’s 2013 Responsibility Report. “We want to offer a broad portfolio of products to allow all children a building experience that matches their skills and links into their interests. However, we do not want to pre-empt that choice by defining in our marketing that some of our products are only for girls and some only for boys.”

And at the end of the day it’s mom and dad who make all the difference in the impact these toys have on kids, parenting educator Amy McCready insists to Yahoo Parenting. “When a parent is supportive of interests, regardless of whether it’s building spaceships or doll houses, it’s validating for the child,” she explains. “It shows them they’re accepted and loved for who they are, not put into a mold of how they ‘should’ be.”

The 1974 rally to parents is as important as ever today, she adds. “If kids are encouraged, they see that their creativity has no limits. Imagine the things those children can do!”

Source

Lego's letting your imagination run wild.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I wish I had legos growing up.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Blood Valkyrie

Well, at least there is one positive in having not had them. You couldn't lose any pieces in the carpet only to find them again by STEPPING ON THEM in the middle of the night. 3nodding There is a reason that people wish that s**t on their enemies. The little 2 x1 blocks were the worst. crying Legos, the world's most inventive torture device.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
xXFurygeistXx
Blood Valkyrie

Well, at least there is one positive in having not had them. You couldn't lose any pieces in the carpet only to find them again by STEPPING ON THEM in the middle of the night. 3nodding There is a reason that people wish that s**t on their enemies. The little 2 x1 blocks were the worst. crying Legos, the world's most inventive torture device.

My favorite Internet insult is, "I hope you step on a lego."

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie

They were quite fun, but you can still buy a small set today to play with that is inexpensive. :3

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
And now ******** Boost is spewing lego ads all over my computer. I can't afford this s**t now. What happened to the classic kits full of blank legos? I want those back. A big, two gallon box full of all sorts of pieces to create whatever you want!.

Witty Conversationalist

Alexander J Luthor
And now ******** Boost is spewing lego ads all over my computer. I can't afford this s**t now. What happened to the classic kits full of blank legos? I want those back. A big, two gallon box full of all sorts of pieces to create whatever you want!.

They are hard to find, but they are there! Here in Minnesota, we have what's called the Mall of America and there is a LegoLand inside. You can fill buckets with your own desired colors and pieces and pay by the gallon, or something. Parents are always bustling in and out of that place. I love going there to build crap for fun.

LegoLand!

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Blood Valkyrie
xXFurygeistXx
Blood Valkyrie

It is truly one of the better things to wish on horrible people.

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I wish other toy companies would adopt this. I'm sick and tired about having gender segregated toy isles where the boy toys have every color of the rainbow.

Conservative Genius

6,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm sorry, but there will be certain toys that can be gender-neutral and some that can't. Doll houses will never be a true gender-neutral toy.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Damorion215
I'm sorry, but there will be certain toys that can be gender-neutral and some that can't. Doll houses will never be a true gender-neutral toy.

Why not? The Sims is basically a doll house on steroids, and people of every gender play with that. Shoot, my favorite house builders are men.

Just make a dollhouse that isn't pink or blue and market it towards everyone.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Quote:
A lot of boys like dolls houses. They’re more human than spaceships. A lot of girls prefer spaceships. They’re more exciting than doll houses.
Why not both? My doll house often has a spaceship parked on its roof. 3nodding

Wintry Dragon

Blood Valkyrie
xXFurygeistXx
Blood Valkyrie

That happened to me. Couldn't walk for a couple of days. The wound was deep and had the nice trademark imprinted on my skin. Never play tag in a room littered with Lego. crying

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
A mali
had the nice trademark imprinted on my skin

You've been legolized.. lol

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100