Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

link

(Reuters) - McDonald's Corp has been sued by a woman who said her two-year-old son ate a used condom he found in the play area of one of its restaurants in Chicago.

Anishi Spencer filed the complaint against the fast-food restaurant chain on Wednesday in Cook County Circuit Court on behalf of herself and her sons, Jonathan Hines and Jacquel Hines.

According to the complaint, Spencer and her sons were at a McDonald's restaurant in Chicago's South Side on February 4, 2012 when Jacquel picked up the used condom from the floor, and shortly thereafter coughed up a piece of it.

Both boys required medical care, and have suffered lasting injuries, pain and discomfort, the complaint said.

Spencer accused McDonald's of negligence for failing to clean hazardous debris from the play area, and failing to use appropriate security measures to help uncover "deviant activities." The lawsuit seeks at least $50,000 of damages.

"This is a very disgusting case," Jeffrey Deutschman, a lawyer for Spencer and her sons at Deutschman & Associates in Chicago, said in a phone interview.

He said he tried to settle, but was unable to do so after having to deal with "layers and layers" of bureaucracy at McDonald's, which is based in Oak Brook, Illinois.

McDonald's spokeswomen did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jonathan is now 4 and Jacquel is now 3.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Quote:

Both boys required medical care, and have suffered lasting injuries, pain and discomfort

I call bullshit based on the fact that only one child allegedly ate the condom and yet she claims both became sick. Doesn't work that way.

Shadowy Lover

The kids fault for being stupid enough to eat the condom in the first place. But then again the kid might not have know what it was at the time. So I blame the mother for not keeping an eye on the kid enough.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
emotion_puke gonk

Lonely Explorer

Even though it was the moms fault for not keeping an eye on her kid, it's still gross that a used condom was found on the floor of a play place...all dat j**z...and rubber...ew. They should clean regularly.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Skaterneogirl
The kids fault for being stupid enough to eat the condom in the first place. But then again the kid might not have know what it was at the time. So I blame the mother for not keeping an eye on the kid enough.

You have never had a toddler of your own have you? Or else you got very lucky.
At certain ages most kids will put everything in their mouths. It's not uncommon to have to stop them from eating dog s**t they found in the park or - well pretty much anything they can pick up and find interesting. I know it sounds really disgusting but that part of their brain and logic has not developed. At some age almost everything is a new experience and adults are always sticking something new in your mouth and saying, "Here, eat this". Why not help the adults along by sticking some things in your mouth yourself? Kids that age also like to chew on things like balloons which is maybe what the kid thought it was. Not that they should be allowed to chew on balloons either but many do if given the opportunity.

I do wonder about the part of the article that says both children got sick. Also about the fact McDonalds is an easy target due to deep pockets and people have made false claims in the past. On the other hand as lawsuits against huge corporations go asking for $50k is rather modest.
It does suggest that after hours some employees may have given new meaning to 'having fun in the ball pit'. smile

Friendly Wench

User Image
Skaterneogirl

You realize the kid is two...right? It's not like a fifteen year old decided to scarf it down. Toddlers pick up the craziest things and put them in their mouths. I've had to take a child that my cousin was babysitting to the hospital because we noticed his toys were disappearing and it turns out he was running to the bathroom and eating them and he was FIVE.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Skaterneogirl
Idare you to baby-sit a two year-old and take him/her to a public park. And I mean one that's frequented by everyone. Just watch and see what kind of stuff you'd have to pull out of the child's hands as it is in progress towards his/her mouth. Some of it will probably be way grosser than a used condom, and there are quite a few things grosser than that.

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Eww... what the hell goes on at that mcdonalds at night?

Sparkling Mage

Pia Austin
Eww... what the hell goes on at that mcdonalds at night?

gettin' kinky in the play area dramallama

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
That seems suspicious that she’s claining both children got sick if only one at the condom.

Its not like its easy to clean that play area, climbing in those tiny tubes meant for kids not adults to check for stuff like that. Plus, who would go have sex in a Mcdonalds play area..

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

Ratttking
Quote:

Both boys required medical care, and have suffered lasting injuries, pain and discomfort

I call bullshit based on the fact that only one child allegedly ate the condom and yet she claims both became sick. Doesn't work that way.
X

User Image
            I agree with this, why would the other even be in pain if only one ate it?

Not to mention, I have to admit that I don't see mcdonalds in the wrong here. While that is a disturbing thing to find there, it's not easy to find every spec of something left there. The parent should of been watching the kid better.

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
1 condom, 1 kid ate it, 2 kids sick... makes perfect sense. emotion_awesome
And eww *gags* Why would there be a used condom in a play area? I understand people do some kinky things but. gonk

Greedy Consumer

Skaterneogirl
They are 2. You need to be 3 or older to use certain toys because of choking hazard. I think the rest is self-explanatory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff