Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
Quote:
California State Senator Leland Yee should be no stranger to gamers after he introduced the 2005 bill that made sales of M rated games to minors a crime, which was later struck down by the Supreme Court.

leland-yee.jpgWell, he still wants games regulated, and apparently doesn’t like how hard gamers are defending them. In an interview, Yee shared that he thought, “Gamers have got to just quiet down[...] Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest.”

So, sit back and take your lumps like a good gamer while the lawmakers decide what’s best for you.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this writer personally tends to speak up not just in defense of gaming, but of myself. When someone attacks my primary hobby in a way that paints it as some hazard that could turn me into a psychopath at any moment, I’m likely to speak up and prove the content of my character is defined by more than the contents of my shelves and computer directories.

Of course, The San Francisco Chronicle points out that even with violent games being some of the most visible, Wii Sports and The Sims are pretty impressively popular. Let’s just hope the gaming industry’s opposition doesn’t notice how many televisions have been the victims of Wii related accidents, and try to spin it as being induced by rage.

Source

You gotta love the ignorance of some people no?

Witty Phantom

Hi!
I'm a gamer!
Not only that, I am a 20-year-old high school graduate with honors and I am currently in college, majoring in theater.
I am not a violent, disobedient 13-year-old that you seem to think gamers are, Mr. Lawmaker. I am a responsible young woman who enjoys partaking in violent video games because they are an excellent stress reliever and they help me improve my reaction time. Yes, reaction is valuable in theater, because you have to be able to move/speak in a certain time.
While I agree that minors shouldn't be allowed to buy M-rated games without parents permission, completely prohibiting my access to games is absolutely unacceptable.
You seem to like to claim that you know best, when in fact, you are a simple monkey in a business suit, making oodles of money trying to pass laws that are against the First Amendment and will make us gamers angry.
Instead of trying to make us angry, Mr. Lawmaker, try making up laws that will actually be good for the community and people as a whole. Instead of singling us gamers out, how about you pass laws that will improve education or healthcare?
Or is that too hard for you?
Lee just mad his little bill failed hard.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Quote:
Gamers have no credibility in this argument.
Unfortunately for him, gamers do have at least some credibility since they're the people that play the games. Besides, it's not like every gamer out there is a psychotic 15 yr-old boy who dreams of commiting mass murder every night and actually gets off on it (yea, I went there. Don't judge me.)

Witty Phantom

Honey of the South
Quote:
Gamers have no credibility in this argument.
Unfortunately for him, gamers do have at least some credibility since they're the people that play the games. Besides, it's not like every gamer out there is a psychotic 15 yr-old boy who dreams of commiting mass murder every night and actually gets off on it (yea, I went there. Don't judge me.)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Eternal Marionetta
Hi!
I'm a gamer!
Not only that, I am a 20-year-old high school graduate with honors and I am currently in college, majoring in theater.
I am not a violent, disobedient 13-year-old that you seem to think gamers are, Mr. Lawmaker. I am a responsible young woman who enjoys partaking in violent video games because they are an excellent stress reliever and they help me improve my reaction time. Yes, reaction is valuable in theater, because you have to be able to move/speak in a certain time.
While I agree that minors shouldn't be allowed to buy M-rated games without parents permission, completely prohibiting my access to games is absolutely unacceptable.
You seem to like to claim that you know best, when in fact, you are a simple monkey in a business suit, making oodles of money trying to pass laws that are against the First Amendment and will make us gamers angry.
Instead of trying to make us angry, Mr. Lawmaker, try making up laws that will actually be good for the community and people as a whole. Instead of singling us gamers out, how about you pass laws that will improve education or healthcare?
Or is that too hard for you?

Haha! You go girl! (do people still say that?)
I'm 52 and have been gaming since before the majority of Gaians were born. Even though my opinion is irrelevant (according to the article) I have to think if violent games are doing to turn me to a life of crime they better get cracking at it. I probably only have a few good decades left where I'll be able to rob banks and commit rapes, car jackings and mass murders. After that I may not be able to do better than get really pissed if they give me the wrong kind of apple sauce.

The irony here is that while I'm not a violent person if I had to choose I'd say I've felt more anger over the years due to incredibly stupid things that came down from our politicians rather than from playing violent games.

Interesting Lunatic

"You all need to shut up so I can be an ignorant power-mad douchecanoe without anyone pointing out the obvious gaping holes in my logic and making me look bad!"

I play "violent" video games like Skyrim and Overlord and Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing and sometimes Gears/Halo.
And I have Asperger's Syndrome.
Obviously I'm a walking time bomb and need to be locked up before I should hurt anyone.
Oh, and I'm female, so I should never have had any freedom to begin with anyway.
Idiot politicians need to GTFO my planet.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea He can have my Final Fantasy when he pries it from my cold, dead fingers.

Interesting Lunatic

Found this on Memebase/Cheezburger. Felt it was relevant, decided to share.
I personally like the rating system. It's helpful at times...but ultimately it should be up to parents to decide if they're okay with their kids playing m-rated titles.

As a gamer I find it ridiculous for someone to say we shouldn't speak up for ourselves. Why the hell wouldn't we?! I'm an avid knitter too....if he tried to regulate knitting needles I'd be shouting about that too! Basically it's "I want to tell the common man what is okay and I don't want to hear any guff about it because I'M the one in charge here". Methinks Mr. Yee needs to come down a peg or two.

Witty Phantom

That Scruffy Mule
Found this on Memebase/Cheezburger. Felt it was relevant, decided to share.

'MURICA.

Conservative Victory

Thank God I live in Virginia and not California. Contrary to what Yee says I have no lust for violence. I love first-person shooters like Halo but I am in no means a violent person. I just enjoy playing those types of games. The story-modes are interesting and the multiplayer brings my cousins and I together with something we can all agree is fun. But outside of the gaming world I am a 22 year old college student/college graduate with an avid interest in History and Political Science, with a degree in Computer Science. I have never fired a gun in the real world, and as polite and respectful as possible to those around me. I am very loving towards my girlfriend. I deplore real-world violence. So Yee is not saving me from some crazy violet self as he seems to be saying.
As a professional a**h***, I feel like I should point out this nice, little, juicy tidbit of hilarity:

Quote:
In an interview, Yee shared that he thought, “Gamers have got to just quiet down[...] Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest.”

Oh, irony, thy comedy knows no bound.

Although if Senator Yee were to point out the Spike Video Game Awards, and call gaming a twisted joke on society, I would be forced to agree with him -_-

Lazy Krampus

12,300 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Loony!

Lets do a study on gamers who haven't flipped their s**t.

I played D&D as a kid, I never committed suicide/murder
I listened to Heavy Metal (Even backwards, I had records)
Again, I never killed myself or anyone else
I play video games even now, I still haven't killed myself or anyone else.

Stuff it rich man!

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200

User ImageOf course, the people that don't play video games must know everything about them.
And the people that play video games are just violent and know nothing about what they're doing.

Seems legit.

Kids already can't just go in somewhere and buy a rated M game (unless they're parents are cool, like my dad was. Like he cared about ratings XD) so I don't understand what the problem is other than the so called lawmakers trying to find a scapegoat instead of actually tackling the problem with mental health in this country.
Oh, right, then they might have to agree with Obama that everyone needs healthcare to get the mental health they might need and the good ol' GOP can't be having that!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff