Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Noob

In mourning of the victims of the South Korean ferry incident off of Jeju Island, my friends and I have decided to start a movement to show support for the families of the missing and the dead. Twenty-five have no been confirmed dead with over 300 still missing, trapped inside the ship.

Just go to your local craft store or Walmart and purchase wish lanterns like these or make your own.

Pick a family name from the list of passengers and write it on your lantern along with kind words or a prayer of your choice. Take a photo of the lantern as it's sent off into the night sky and post it with the following tags onto tumblr or any social media; #lanternsforkorea and #prayforsouthkorea.

We want the families that suffer to understand that not just South Korea is sympathizing with their loss. Even if you can't afford to make or purchase your own lantern, circulating this post will help just as much. Thank you to everyone in support of this effort. Together we make this difficult time a little less painful.

-- The name of the capsized ship is 'The Sewol.' The highschool many of the missing attended is Danwon High School. You could also write this on your lantern.--
I'm currently working to compile a list of names of the victims for others to choose from. So far we have:

Gyu Hyuk, a 6 year old boy who gave his 5 year old sister his lifejacket.
Ji Yeon, his five year old sister.
Choi Hye-jung, 24 year old school teacher.
Park Ji Yoon, highschool student who voiced hesitations about the trip.
Kim Soo Bin, student.
Park Jinyoung, crew member that sacrificed her life to save passengers.
Jung Chawoong, gave his life to save a group of his friends, died on his 17th birthday.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
This was predicted years ago by John Pinette...

High-functioning Noob

Kaiser Khorosho
This was predicted years ago by John Pinette...

This really isn't the time for comedy, nor is this a prediction. There have been a multitude of ferry accidents, so out of respect for the families, let's not try to turn this into something that it's not.

Kawaii Shapeshifter

8,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
This is a great idea, I am going to try and participate. I definitely cannot make a lantern, but I will try to get my hands on one from Walmart. Thank you for coming up with this.

High-functioning Noob

Kanin Princess
This is a great idea, I am going to try and participate. I definitely cannot make a lantern, but I will try to get my hands on one from Walmart. Thank you for coming up with this.
Thank you so much for participating. Please circulate to your friends and tag your posts with #lanternsforkorea and #prayforsouthkorea.

Wintry Dragon

Aw. Those poor people.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I probably won't do this because I'm swamped with "to do" items plus dealing with multiple root canals. I'm also a tad afraid of the lantern getting hung up int he tons of trees that are around here and starting a fire (saw one come close).

But I'm posting to say I think it is a kind hearted of you and a nice idea.

If you know of a web site for posting condolences (even without photo of a lantern) I'd be interested in hearing that.

I was saddened to read that some of the students probably died needlessly because they were told not to move when the ferry was starting to capsize.

High-functioning Noob

David2074
I probably won't do this because I'm swamped with "to do" items plus dealing with multiple root canals. I'm also a tad afraid of the lantern getting hung up int he tons of trees that are around here and starting a fire (saw one come close).

If you know of a web site for posting condolences (even without photo of a lantern) I'd be interested in hearing that.

I was saddened to read that some of the students probably died needlessly because they were told not to move when the ferry was starting to capsize.
Thank you, that's really nice of you to say.

I have a few friends reaching out on tumblr, youtube, twitter, and facebook for the cause. If you want to post any condolences, many are and tagging it with #prayforsouthkorea, so you could always do that. 3nodding

Yes, the captain is being tried with criminal charges for being one of the first to abandon the vessel early as well as not announcing on the PA system for passengers to evacuate after telling them to remain in their seats as the ship sank, and instead left them to sit below deck while crew died trying to get them out. In short, he did not follow safety protocol but his crew did. He's also being tried for manslaughter. It's sad to say, but he honestly deserves it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
t o l e k s z i
David2074

Thank you, that's really nice of you to say.

I have a few friends reaching out on tumblr, youtube, twitter, and facebook for the cause. If you want to post any condolences, many are and tagging it with #prayforsouthkorea, so you could always do that. 3nodding

Yes, the captain is being tried with criminal charges for being one of the first to abandon the vessel early as well as not announcing on the PA system for passengers to evacuate after telling them to remain in their seats as the ship sank, and instead left them to sit below deck while crew died trying to get them out. In short, he did not follow safety protocol but his crew did. He's also being tried for manslaughter. It's sad to say, but he honestly deserves it.

I wonder about the why.
It's hard to imagine he wanted all those people to die. Maybe he failed under pressure. Doesn't make him less responsible - just wondering what caused him to act that way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff