Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Plane landing gear belonging to 9/11 Boeing jet found at 'Ground Zero mosque'

The piece of the doomed plane was found two blocks north of the Lower Manhattan site where the Freedom Tower is rising to replace the Twin Towers. The gear remained untouched Friday and won’t be moved until officials can test it for contaminants.

The horrors of 9/11 were revisited Friday when landing gear from a hijacked plane was discovered hidden behind the controversial “Ground Zero Mosque.”

The grim discovery by surveyors bolstered claims the city mismanaged the cleanup after the terrorist attack, which has left more than 1,100 victims still unaccounted for, nearly 12 years later.
The torn relic also brought renewed heartache to some victims’ families who opposed plans to build a Muslim place of worship at 51 Park Place, just two blocks north of the 9/11 Memorial.

User Image

“The main goal was build, build, money, money, money, the hell with human remains, and this is what we have today,” said Sally Regenhard, who lost her firefighter son on 9/11. “Some people say, ‘I’m shocked.’ I’m not shocked.”

Regenhard said the location of the find felt like a “double-edged sword” for those who called for the area to be landmarked.

“This is a legacy of failure and disregard. Perhaps finding the fuselage now is finally going to make people realize this.”

The discovery was made in a narrow stretch behind the building, resurrecting memories of the bright September morning when two planes slammed into the twin towers.

“When I heard the news, right away I was like, ‘Oh!’ ” said Ilila Tahlov, 47, a hairdresser at Ray’s Barber Shop across from the building on Park Place. “It all came back,” she said, covering her face as if reliving the day.

On Friday, the area was taped off like a crime scene as word of the unlikely find spread.

“There was a lot of dirt and stuff in there,” a police source told the Daily News. “We didn’t know what it was.”

A member of the NYPD aviation unit went to the scene and confirmed it was a plane’s landing gear. A check of its serial number linked the wreckage to the attack that killed 2,753 people.

“It’s amazing,” said Van Vanable, 63, a former One World Trade Center ironworker. “I was part of the cleanup. It’s still devastating to think about — how people suffered from then to now.”

The gear remained untouched Friday and won’t be moved until officials can test it for contaminants, said Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the city medical examiner.

Before removing the item, investigators will search the surrounding area for any other artifacts linked to the 9/11 attacks.

It’s the same protocol used all along in the World Trade Center probe — similar to when debris was recovered from a manhole in 2006, she said.

“I don’t think anyone can get near there,” Borakove said.

The metal piece was discovered Wednesday by surveyors between two of the buildings owned by developer Sharif El-Gamal, sources said. They immediately called 911.

El-Gamal just purchased an adjacent property at 43 Park Place for $8 million.

Cops were investigating how the gear got there, including the possibility it was lowered into place because a piece of rope was found intertwined with the metal.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
So they are literally building the mosque on the graves of the people who died on that plane.

It is also possible someone spotted it at some point in the last 11 years and tried and failed to dislodge it by trying to lasso it down and gave up.
And we're right back to blaming all members of a religion for the acts of a few. Great.

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Shama_okami
And we're right back to blaming all members of a religion for the acts of a few. Great.

Agreed- whatever is built around the site could be considered insulting. Oh your eating where people died! Oh your defecating where people died! It's kind of sick that they are choosing to take this out on a religion that was also impacted by 9/11; it would not have only been White Christian Americans who died. Though perhaps that for some is the only appropriate thing to be built within all of NY now. A Christian church and perhaps mac Donald's

I just question how far is enough? Is suppressing a religious right to a place of worship worth clinging onto the past? I am not saying not to remember those who died and were impacted but it is boarding discrimination to hold it against one religion and people in particular.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
washu_2004
So they are literally building the mosque on the graves of the people who died on that plane.

It is also possible someone spotted it at some point in the last 11 years and tried and failed to dislodge it by trying to lasso it down and gave up.

Oy vey talk about insult to injury. And it was far more than those that died on the plane. Major Jihad and they make it a holy site... Ironic...

but yeah that is completely possible.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
washu_2004

That's an interesting alternative take on the rope.
I's not like they had to report it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Aliiak
Shama_okami

Agreed- whatever is built around the site could be considered insulting. Oh your eating where people died! Oh your defecating where people died! It's kind of sick that they are choosing to take this out on a religion that was also impacted by 9/11; it would not have only been White Christian Americans who died. Though perhaps that for some is the only appropriate thing to be built within all of NY now. A Christian church and perhaps mac Donald's

I just question how far is enough? Is suppressing a religious right to a place of worship worth clinging onto the past? I am not saying not to remember those who died and were impacted but it is boarding discrimination to hold it against one religion and people in particular.

Flip the script and think how people would react if, say, a large prominent Muslim/Arab building was hit all 9/11 style and then they opted to build a cathedral a few blocks away.

Saying that people would be upset would be like saying that lava is a bit warm.

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Shama_okami

Flip the script and think how people would react if, say, a large prominent Muslim/Arab building was hit all 9/11 style and then they opted to build a cathedral a few blocks away.

I honestly don't see any problem. It is kind of like saying all Christians are like the Westbro church. It's putting all Muslims into one category whether they are Muslim immigrants; American natives who are Muslim or whatever. It's limiting how and who can practise what religion. So basically it is saying because you are not the right religion; you can not build a place of worship.

Yes I agree it is near ground zero and its a sensitive subject. But it's grouping a large and varied group of people together and saying that because of something that happened in the past they cannot have the same access to a place of worship that other religions experience.

Would it be alright if it was a Synagoge or Catherdral? Yes; because Jews and Christians died. Muslims also died but because extremists of their religion came from another country and committed the atrocity; suddenly a their rights are stripped.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Aliiak
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Shama_okami

I honestly don't see any problem. It is kind of like saying all Christians are like the Westbro church. It's putting all Muslims into one category whether they are Muslim immigrants; American natives who are Muslim or whatever. It's limiting how and who can practise what religion. So basically it is saying because you are not the right religion; you can not build a place of worship.

Yes I agree it is near ground zero and its a sensitive subject. But it's grouping a large and varied group of people together and saying that because of something that happened in the past they cannot have the same access to a place of worship that other religions experience.

Would it be alright if it was a Synagoge or Catherdral? Yes; because Jews and Christians died. Muslims also died but because extremists of their religion came from another country and committed the atrocity; suddenly a their rights are stripped.

It comes off as tasteless more than anything I think. It's like if someone built a gun store a few blocks away from Sandy Hook. Sure, you CAN build it there, but consider the locational context. It's not a matter of IF they can have their religious center there (by all legal rights they should be able to), but it's a matter of SHOULD they.

Now if they were like "Hey, we know this is tasteless, so here's some donations for the 9/11 memorial" then I think some of the hate would dissipate (as a PR thing more than anything).

And if it's a choice between a mosque and a proper stone-and-morter cathedral, I'll take the cathedral in the grounds of pure aesthetics thank you very much.

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Shama_okami

It comes off as tasteless more than anything I think. It's like if someone built a gun store a few blocks away from Sandy Hook. Sure, you CAN build it there, but consider the locational context. It's not a matter of IF they can have their religious center there (by all legal rights they should be able to), but it's a matter of SHOULD they.

Now if they were like "Hey, we know this is tasteless, so here's some donations for the 9/11 memorial" then I think some of the hate would dissipate (as a PR thing more than anything).

And if it's a choice between a mosque and a proper stone-and-morter cathedral, I'll take the cathedral in the grounds of pure aesthetics thank you very much.

I'm not attacking your believes or that you prefer Christian buildinfs to Islamic ones. I have no preference on architecture of religious buildings, since all architecture can be rather tacky and tasteless regardless of the buildings use.

But again it comes back to that inherent idea that seems to prevail after 9/11 that all Muslims are responsible and to blame. Yes a donation would be fitting but it shouldn't be necessary or demanded in order for them to practice their religious freedom. And I am unsure and will have to research but I thought that the Muslim community did make a contribution? You can correct me if I am wrong. But I've gotta question how much is enough until they can practise their religion without the stigma?

Please don't feel the need to snap etc. I'm not attacking you personally and I do understand where you are coming from in terms of appropriateness. As I mention I just wonder how long will it be untiil they are forgiven as a whole; and their religion and believes are not constantly on trial by the media and public.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Aliiak
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Shama_okami

I'm not attacking your believes or that you prefer Christian buildinfs to Islamic ones. I have no preference on architecture of religious buildings, since all architecture can be rather tacky and tasteless regardless of the buildings use.

But again it comes back to that inherent idea that seems to prevail after 9/11 that all Muslims are responsible and to blame. Yes a donation would be fitting but it shouldn't be necessary or demanded in order for them to practice their religious freedom. And I am unsure and will have to research but I thought that the Muslim community did make a contribution? You can correct me if I am wrong. But I've gotta question how much is enough until they can practise their religion without the stigma?

Please don't feel the need to snap etc. I'm not attacking you personally and I do understand where you are coming from in terms of appropriateness. As I mention I just wonder how long will it be untiil they are forgiven as a whole; and their religion and believes are not constantly on trial by the media and public.

Haha, sorry, I didn't mean to come off as snappish.

The only donations I could find after a quick Google search was that the Muslim community urged its members to donate blood after 9/11.

The reason I think Muslims get a bad rap is not because there's the few of their number that act like assbackwards sociopaths, but that on the whole the non-assbackwards sociopaths don't throw them under the bus.

Take the Boston Marathon bombing for example. The brothers were, more or less, confirmed as adherents to radical Islam. I didn't see or hear anything about anyone from the Islamic faith decrying their actions or that their actions do not represent the faith as a whole. If they started doing s**t like that, the whole "Those assholes don't represent us", that would help quite a bit.

Also if they actually worked on weeding out radicalism in their own religion.

Devoted Seeker

10,250 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200
Silvia Crow

The reason I think Muslims get a bad rap is not because there's the few of their number that act like assbackwards sociopaths, but that on the whole the non-assbackwards sociopaths don't throw them under the bus.

Take the Boston Marathon bombing for example. The brothers were, more or less, confirmed as adherents to radical Islam. I didn't see or hear anything about anyone from the Islamic faith decrying their actions or that their actions do not represent the faith as a whole. If they started doing s**t like that, the whole "Those assholes don't represent us", that would help quite a bit.

Please feel free to provide documentation of every time major church leaders (regardless of denomination) have thrown the Westboro Baptist Church and the KKK under the bus and done their best to disassociate them from the Church. A chronological listing of apologies and denunciations for each and every one those groups abhorrent acts would be preferred. You can then move on to apologies for every time a radical believer has resorted to violence against abortion clinics, homosexuals, members of other religions, or anyone else they disagree with.

It's accepted that they are just exceptions to the rule of most Christians being kind people who just want to go about living their life. It's a double standard to expect Muslims to have to come out and apologize/denounce each and every time one of their radicals do something.

Muslims are saying that "Those assholes don't represent us." They all say it every day by being valuable members of our society.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Nagaikami
Silvia Crow

It's accepted that they are just exceptions to the rule of most Christians being kind people who just want to go about living their life. It's a double standard to expect Muslims to have to come out and apologize/denounce each and every time one of their radicals do something.

Muslims are saying that "Those assholes don't represent us." They all say it every day by being valuable members of our society.

Saying it a little louder couldn't hurt.

And they really ought to see about weeding out the radicals as well.
Silvia Crow
Aliiak
Shama_okami

That's just it though. If that happened people in the area would be yelling about their freedom to build churches wherever they want. And the media, mostly Fox News, would be showing it over and over again. Muslims, on the other hand, don't have near as loud of a megaphone in the media. The only time I've heard about muslims helping on or being affected by 9/11 is on some of the in depth shows.

Also, what they wanted to build is a community center that has a mosque in it. Nothing as grandiose or blatant as a cathedral.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff