Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Conventioneer

17,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
By Jonathan Wolfe, Thu, June 20, 2013
Dear Lakeland, Florida Police Department:

Stop telling women to shake their bras for you. You’re on the job, not at a gentlemen’s club.

According to Bay News 9, those are more or less the words Florida State Attorney Jerry Hill had for Lakeland Police after he found out about the department's fondness for bra-shaking during drug searches.

The issue was brought to Hill’s attention by Florida resident, Zoe Brugger. Brugger and her boyfriend were stopped by Lakeland Police Officer Dustin Fetz because they had a headlight out. While Fetz had the couple pulled over, he decided to search them and their car for drugs because Brugger seemed “too nervous not have anything” on her

“He asked me if I had any drugs on me and I said no,” Brugger said. “Then he said, well pull out your pockets and turn them out and pull out your bra and shake it. I did it and he said to do it again, shake it and flip the under wire part out.”

Officer Fetz found no drugs on Brugger or her boyfriend.

Feeling uncomfortable about how she was searched, Brugger contacted her lawyer, Richard Wiley. Wiley wrote a letter that was posted in the Ledger, a Lakeland newspaper. The state attorney saw the letter and called for an investigation. The investigation found the search to be unconstitutional. Hill was informed that other officer used the bra-shake technique and called it a “major training deficiency.”

Here’s an excerpt from Lakeland Police Chief Lisa Womack’s statement on this shaky situation:

This department does not condone the alleged actions as have been reported in recent days and any officer proven to be involved in this type behavior will be dealt with accordingly, including possible termination. Full disclosure of findings will be made upon completion of our administrative investigation.

The Lakeland Police Department is a professional police department with quality officers dedicated to keeping our community safe.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/lakeland-florida-police-no-more-bra-shaking
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2013/6/20/state_attorney_shaki.html

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What dicks. File a sexual harassment charge!

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I'd never heard of this being used before for a random drug search. Talk about creepy.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Ew. What a bunch of creeps. I hope they get their asses handed to them and face termination. Talk about an abuse of power and position. evil

Lucky Risk-Taker

5,750 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
sexual harassment

where is the female cop idiots

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
in other news: the bra has just become a viable location for the hiding of drugs, for literally the first time ever, now that it's been declared unsearchable.
That is gross. I understand if there is reason to believe she would have drugs (actually fact, not just based on a feeling), but I might refuse if a random cop asked me to do that. We need to start having boob search warrants.

Wheezing Gekko

8,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Profitable 100
Keltoi Samurai
in other news: the bra has just become a viable location for the hiding of drugs, for literally the first time ever, now that it's been declared unsearchable.
I feel the same way... like I know it must be uncomfortable but I'm not sure how to feel about this..? It needs to be searched but we also need to make sure it's not done inappropriately.

Mega Cutie-Pie

I don't see the problem aside from questionable probable cause and perhaps having her repeat the action.

I as a female volunteer officer have had to go in bras after drugs before. I would have rather the woman done the shake than stick my hand in there. The woman in the article could have asked for a female officer if a search needed to be done. At least up here when a same-sex officer is requested one MUST be provided to perform a search. If the officer in question is found to have done nothing wrong I hope the shake becomes a new technique available for use otherwise the bra will become hiding spot of choice since it will be unsearchable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff