Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Sex Symbol

12,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
I am from Indiana, and a teacher looking for a job, there are few schools (public or private) that allow any kind of spanking. There is no way any principal in their right mind would call the police on a kindergartener without believing it was the best course of action. Anytime a child displays inappropriate behavior in a classroom the only real discipline a teacher can do is time out, taking time off of their recess, or going to the principal. What message does that send to a 6 year old? There is little to no repercussion for a child to not misbehave. Based on experience with this age group, there are many parents who do not believe that their "innocent" child could ever do anything wrong, despite phone calls, conferences and meetings with the teacher and the principal. I would like to know how many of you people on here who are complaining about the police being called have ever worked inside a public elementary school or know what teachers can and can't do? This is why education in America is struggling, there is nothing a teacher can do for a disruptive student other than to remove them from the classroom, and that does NO GOOD for the student, they will not learn anything. And for people who suggest special ed, many parents will not allow their child to be in a separate special ed class, and if they do, there has to be some medical reason for them to have to be there. At age 6 there is little a doctor can do to address many things that may or may not be developing (such as ADD, ADHD, etc.). From reading this article, and hearing details on the news, this child is not mentally incapable of performing on grade level, he is just choosing to exhibit bad behavior over and over.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
David2074

I did not assume anything, I merely was saying that there were other options . Who knows if they have used these options since the child is a repeat offender. I agree telling someone you’re going to murder them is not a natural behavior, and is a behavior that needs looking into . Hopefully this kid will get psychological help for whatever is causing him to behave this way.

But forcing legal action still seems a bit extreme since it is a child and there are other major crimes that the police could be working on. However, if that is the only way that they could get the child and parents to go into therapy then that is truly sad.

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
David2074
Calelith
iEatedUrStrawberry

Long story short, they should have given the kids a good spaning and ruled out any possiblity of mental illness or abuse from family, teacher, or bullies.

They can't. It's a form of child abuse.

"There is nothing to fear when you have nothing to lose."

Well, no, actually it isn't and they can.
Though your mileage may vary depending on where you live. In Indiana (where this incident took place) there are no laws at least on the state level to prevent spanking in the schools.

Some people seem to confuse 'spanking' with 'beating'.
Where allowed there are typically rules and guidelines about what is reasonable. I've only read the ones for WA state but their guidelines are the sort of thing you might reasonably expect. You can't leave bruises or lasting marks, you can't hit them in the face, frequency comes into play etc. In other words the occasional swat on the butt is okay but whipping them with a belt until they have welts is not. Like all things moderation and common sense comes into play. Time outs are largely considered reasonable punishment these days (I agree for most things) but I've seen parents leave a child in time out so long I considered it abusive. You can take any form of punishment over the top. You have to use your brain.

Very true

"There is nothing to fear when you have nothing to lose."

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Tsuki_Kirkland
David2074

I did not assume anything, I merely was saying that there were other options . Who knows if they have used these options since the child is a repeat offender. I agree telling someone you’re going to murder them is not a natural behavior, and is a behavior that needs looking into . Hopefully this kid will get psychological help for whatever is causing him to behave this way.

But forcing legal action still seems a bit extreme since it is a child and there are other major crimes that the police could be working on. However, if that is the only way that they could get the child and parents to go into therapy then that is truly sad.

Apologies if I misunderstood you. You said,
"There are other ways to get a child and parents to go to counseling, calling the cops on the child is not a good way. They could of called a conference and discussed their concerns about the child and recommended perhaps a visit to the school counselor "

Saying "they could have called a conference" "...and recommended perhaps a visit to a school counselor" implied to me you were assuming they had not tried those courses of action.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
David2074
Tsuki_Kirkland
David2074

Apologies if I misunderstood you. You said,
"There are other ways to get a child and parents to go to counseling, calling the cops on the child is not a good way. They could of called a conference and discussed their concerns about the child and recommended perhaps a visit to the school counselor "

Saying "they could have called a conference" "...and recommended perhaps a visit to a school counselor" implied to me you were assuming they had not tried those courses of action.

That’s alright .. re-reading it does sounds like I made a bit of an assumption

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
jallen_4
I am from Indiana, and a teacher looking for a job, there are few schools (public or private) that allow any kind of spanking. There is no way any principal in their right mind would call the police on a kindergartener without believing it was the best course of action. Anytime a child displays inappropriate behavior in a classroom the only real discipline a teacher can do is time out, taking time off of their recess, or going to the principal. What message does that send to a 6 year old? There is little to no repercussion for a child to not misbehave. Based on experience with this age group, there are many parents who do not believe that their "innocent" child could ever do anything wrong, despite phone calls, conferences and meetings with the teacher and the principal. I would like to know how many of you people on here who are complaining about the police being called have ever worked inside a public elementary school or know what teachers can and can't do? This is why education in America is struggling, there is nothing a teacher can do for a disruptive student other than to remove them from the classroom, and that does NO GOOD for the student, they will not learn anything. And for people who suggest special ed, many parents will not allow their child to be in a separate special ed class, and if they do, there has to be some medical reason for them to have to be there. At age 6 there is little a doctor can do to address many things that may or may not be developing (such as ADD, ADHD, etc.). From reading this article, and hearing details on the news, this child is not mentally incapable of performing on grade level, he is just choosing to exhibit bad behavior over and over.

Thank you for a voice of reason.
In my experience the people who seem to think a time out is the one size fits all wonder discipline technique have never raised children or were fortunate enough to have a child for whom that worked well. I've seen families where even in the same family one child responded well to the lightest form of punishment and their sibling didn't respond to hardly anything.
People who have not been through it seem unaware of what is involved in setting up IEPs, what schools can and can't do and the implied liability they have towards other children and families if they they let a problem child go too far.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Tsuki_Kirkland

Yeah, meaning is often lost or misinterpreted in a text only medium.
I've been on both sides of that one.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
David2074
Tsuki_Kirkland

Yeah, meaning is often lost or misinterpreted in a text only medium.
I've been on both sides of that one.

indeed it does ..

Destitute Poster

11,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
That's it? Battery?
There was a kindergartener girl in Japan that murdered a classmate. (Might I say she looks ******** evil too.)
That being said, it's not shocking given our culture. We seem to be less intelligent and inversely more aggressive. I'd like to consider that evolution backfired since we've mostly outdone natural selection, aside from general stupidity and disease. There's no buffer zone for the unnecessarily aggressive genes.

Destitute Poster

11,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Deflesh
That's it? Battery?
There was a kindergartener girl in Japan that murdered a classmate. (Might I say she looks ******** evil too.)
That being said, it's not shocking given our culture. We seem to be less intelligent and inversely more aggressive. I'd like to consider that evolution backfired since we've mostly outdone natural selection, aside from general stupidity and disease. There's no buffer zone for the unnecessarily aggressive genes.
Scratch that, she was an elementary student. Look up "Sasebo slashing". Quite horrific.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
I know from experience that sometimes getting the police involved is the only way to make parents take their child's misbehaviour seriously. It's extremely sad, but what's worse is letting the child grow up with no intervention of any kind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff