Welcome to Gaia! ::

Altruistic Giver

26,550 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Generous 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
Source is found here.

The killer of Travyor Martin was released on $150k bail today, and he is allowed to leave the state, but has an electric monitoring device.

What do you guys think of this? I think it's just a bit too soon?

Edited due to typo in the title

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Too soon. He shouldn't be allowed to leave the state either. I sure as hell don't want him hiding in my state!

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Misty Moonsilver
Too soon. He shouldn't be allowed to leave the state either. I sure as hell don't want him hiding in my state!

He has a GPS anklet on and is not allowed to go out the boundaries of a certain limit of area. But it scares me.

What scares me more is that he might get away with his crime.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver

He has a GPS anklet on and is not allowed to go out the boundaries of a certain limit of area. But it scares me.

They definitely plan on moving him out of state and a few different locations...
And yeah I agree that him getting away free is a very scary thing. That means that in 2012, you can actually kill someone for no good reasons and call it self defense.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Misty Moonsilver
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver

They definitely plan on moving him out of state and a few different locations...
And yeah I agree that him getting away free is a very scary thing. That means that in 2012, you can actually kill someone for no good reasons and call it self defense.

Yeah because that stupid law is written that way. Guy is smarter than he wants everyone to believe.

Here's the thing

He was told to stop chasing the kid. Instead, two minutes later we hear the kid's voice on the cell crying out for help right before gun fire.

Based on that alone, I am convinced this guy is guilty as hell.

I mean, you get attacked by a kid who is panicking (let's face it. He was being stalked and then confronted. What would you do?), he has no gun but you pull one out and shoot him?
I am sorry, but that is not self defense in my book.

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
People get out on bail to await trial all the time.
No big deal.

Profitable Prophet

7,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver

Yeah because that stupid law is written that way. Guy is smarter than he wants everyone to believe.

Here's the thing

He was told to stop chasing the kid. Instead, two minutes later we hear the kid's voice on the cell crying out for help right before gun fire.

I mean, you get attacked by a kid who is panicking (let's face it. He was being stalked and then confronted. What would you do?), he has no gun but you pull one out and shoot him?

Hmmm......Nyadriel, if you're convinced that you heard the voice of the "kid" on the cell phone when everyone else in the media(as well as the 911 dispatcher) heard Zimmerman's voice then I've got some beachfront property in Montana to sell you.

Please tell me why Martin was confronted? Oh yeah, he jumped the fence of a gated community and Zimmerman saw Martin looking inside cars and acting suspicious. Yeah, Zimmerman dropped the ball on this one.

Yeah, Nyadriel....laws are stupid. Just like those stupid people in that stupid gated community. How dare they keep people out just cause they want to feel safe. Stupid people and their stupid laws.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
well you know what that means kids? means that anyone can get away with killing a child if they yell self defense

ahhh the system sure does come through when it doesn't even bother to get off it's a**

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
VirginianRanger
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver

Here's the thing

Hmmm......Nyadriel, if you're convinced that you heard the voice of the "kid" on the cell phone when everyone else in the media(as well as the 911 dispatcher) heard Zimmerman's voice then I've got some beachfront property in Montana to sell you.

Please tell me why Martin was confronted? Oh yeah, he jumped the fence of a gated community and Zimmerman saw Martin looking inside cars and acting suspicious. Yeah, Zimmerman dropped the ball on this one.

Yeah, Nyadriel....laws are stupid. Just like those stupid people in that stupid gated community. How dare they keep people out just cause they want to feel safe. Stupid people and their stupid laws.

You don't pull out a gun on an UNarmed person and kill em. If you are attacked, you run.
Zimmerman was TOLD to stop following the kid. Does not matter if the kid supposedly jumped a fence either (and I don't know if he did). Cops tell you to back off, you back off. You don't confront.

Profitable Prophet

7,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Lord Elwrind
VirginianRanger
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver
Nyadriel
Misty Moonsilver

Here's the thing

You don't pull out a gun on an UNarmed person and kill em. If you are attacked, you run.
Zimmerman was TOLD to stop following the kid. Does not matter if the kid supposedly jumped a fence either (and I don't know if he did). Cops tell you to back off, you back off. You don't confront.

Oh, Lord Elwrind....so naive. Zimmerman didn't know that Martin didn't have a gun. In situations such as those one has to assume that there is a gun. According to Zimmerman he was following Martin when Martin noticed Zimmerman. That's when the confrontation began. Zimmerman wasn't going to apprehend Martin. Just keep an eye on him.

As far as you not knowing that Martin jumped the fence into the gated community: well, he sure as @*#^ didn't walk through the front gate!! Bottom line: Martin was where he wasn't supposed to be. Yes he got shot which is tragic. But you and Nyadriel and similar folks have to be realistic about this. When you are where you are NOT supposed to be bad things could happen to you. Once you accept this you're life will be much better.

Devoted Friend

8,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
The death of the teenager was tragic yes, but I can not understand how Zimmerman can be at fault for the death?

Zimmerman was the town's watchman, correct? That night he was doing his job and thought he was being a good citizen of his town and country for protecting others. Martin most likely looked suspicious, thus Zimmerman kept an eye on him. It was night time and dark, frankly I don't think Zimmerman would have been able to tell whether or not this was an innocent teenager or someone who meant to do harm to this town. The teen must have done something to make Zimmerman believe that he was out to do harm to this town, then things just spiraled out of control and a death unfortunately took place that night.

But why lock a man up for only trying to protect his town and act in self-defense? I'm not saying the death of Martin was right, but it's not right to lock someone up for making a huge mistake that will frankly change Zimmerman's life for the worst. It would be different if he actually killed him on purpose.

Instead of him being locked up for something that went out of his control, why can't he just try and make an impact on others and talk about gun violence and his experience to others? What good will it be for this man to be locked up? Sure, the family wants justice but.. does this man deserve it? He is guilty of killing yes, and has the memory haunting him for the rest of his life, but did he really do it on purpose or was it just accidental?

After all, there are tons of other criminals out there who have gotten away with worse crimes.

In my eyes, this man is both guilty and innocent but does not deserve to be locked up.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Bail is a standard part of the judicial system when the judge has sufficient reason to believe the suspect won't commit another crime or flee while awaiting trial.
Both are reasonable assumptions in this case. His face is nationally known and he has death threats against him. Fleeing would up the ante on that so I suspect he is glad for the police keeping an eye on him. Plus he would lose the 150k of course. He would be incredibly stupid to commit any kind of violent attack while awaiting trial for this one so that is unlikely as well.
All in all I'd say the bail is pretty routine and no big deal.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
stormylane
People get out on bail to await trial all the time.
No big deal.

QFT

Good God, some of you people are acting like he's been completely set free and declared innocent. They HAD to move him out of state so he can live long enough to be sentenced. His life is threatened, the lives of his family are threatened (why do you think they phoned in for their questions instead of going to the court), moving him out is for his protection. He has a GPS anklet, he's not allowed out of his out between certain hours, he's basically not allowed to work...he's under house arrest to be perfectly honest.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
twi4ya
The death of the teenager was tragic yes, but I can not understand how Zimmerman can be at fault for the death?

Zimmerman was the town's watchman, correct? That night he was doing his job and thought he was being a good citizen of his town and country for protecting others. Martin most likely looked suspicious, thus Zimmerman kept an eye on him. It was night time and dark, frankly I don't think Zimmerman would have been able to tell whether or not this was an innocent teenager or someone who meant to do harm to this town. The teen must have done something to make Zimmerman believe that he was out to do harm to this town, then things just spiraled out of control and a death unfortunately took place that night.

But why lock a man up for only trying to protect his town and act in self-defense? I'm not saying the death of Martin was right, but it's not right to lock someone up for making a huge mistake that will frankly change Zimmerman's life for the worst. It would be different if he actually killed him on purpose.

Instead of him being locked up for something that went out of his control, why can't he just try and make an impact on others and talk about gun violence and his experience to others? What good will it be for this man to be locked up? Sure, the family wants justice but.. does this man deserve it? He is guilty of killing yes, and has the memory haunting him for the rest of his life, but did he really do it on purpose or was it just accidental?

After all, there are tons of other criminals out there who have gotten away with worse crimes.

In my eyes, this man is both guilty and innocent but does not deserve to be locked up.

Zimmerman did kill Martin, he admited to it from the get-go. The real debate is if it was self-defense (as Zimmerman states it) or an outright murder (as everyone else states it). Personally, I think the most compelling bit of evidence will be the position of the gun and the angle of impact. That will help either side's story and build a better picture for what happened. Until that evidence is brought to light, I'm going to wait and see what happens.

Devoted Friend

8,650 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
Fireweed_honey
twi4ya

Zimmerman did kill Martin, he admited to it from the get-go. The real debate is if it was self-defense (as Zimmerman states it) or an outright murder (as everyone else states it). Personally, I think the most compelling bit of evidence will be the position of the gun and the angle of impact. That will help either side's story and build a better picture for what happened. Until that evidence is brought to light, I'm going to wait and see what happens.

I agree. But I do believe it was in self-defense, unless evidence proves otherwise I will stand by my theory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff