Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Quote:
"If comedy is tragedy plus time, I need more f—king time. But I would really settle for less f—king tragedy to be honest with you"

The July confrontation between Garner and Officer Daniel Pantaleo was videotaped; the widely-circulated footage of Pantaleo holding Garner's neck in an apparent chokehold as the man repeatedly says, "I can't breathe," prompted outrage in New York and beyond. Garner died just weeks before officer Darren Wilson shot and killed Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.

The Ferguson case, however, was not filmed. Prosecutors there presented conflicting witness accounts of the confrontation to the grand jury.

But Stewart said that in contrast to the Ferguson case, the Staten Island case appeared to be clear. "Here, there is is none of that [ambiguity]. The coroner called it homicide, the guy's not acting threatening, and we know that because we are f—king watching it. Someone taped it."

Jon Stewart Gets Serious on Eric Garner

Wheezing Smoker

14,800 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Something needs to be done about these pigs. I hate cops. > sad

Tipsy Prophet

I like cops. I think they have an incredibly hard job to do and almost all of them do it with integrity and care. And I believe that the grand jury in Ferguson made the right decision based on the forensic evidence I have seen. That said...

They had a video showing the officer employing a restraint that has been illegal for the police to use for the last twenty years. And the grand jury still did not return an indictment. I am a conservative, and a Republican, and because of (not in spite of) those facts, that physically sickens me. Those in power need to be held accountable. That is one of the cornerstones of actual conservatism, regardless of how other people define it. Yeah, Juvenal was speaking in jest on marital infidelity, but his question still rings clear. Who will guard the guardians? Because in this case, the current system is not.

I agree with Stewart. I need more ******** time.

Friendly Explorer

Reynard Blue
I like cops. I think they have an incredibly hard job to do and almost all of them do it with integrity and care. And I believe that the grand jury in Ferguson made the right decision based on the forensic evidence I have seen. That said...

They had a video showing the officer employing a restraint that has been illegal for the police to use for the last twenty years. And the grand jury still did not return an indictment. I am a conservative, and a Republican, and because of (not in spite of) those facts, that physically sickens me. Those in power need to be held accountable. That is one of the cornerstones of actual conservatism, regardless of how other people define it. Yeah, Juvenal was speaking in jest on marital infidelity, but his question still rings clear. Who will guard the guardians? Because in this case, the current system is not.

Well said.

Time-traveling Senshi

When John Stewart is speechless then something is seriously wrong. And he spoke on it again Thursday blasting Rand Paul for blaming the whole thing on cigarette taxes in New York City. He's had more time and he came up with a hilarious reaction to how the right is reacting to the whole thing.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Reynard Blue

Grand Juries are not supposed to make rulings based on evidence. The Grand Jury merely exists to say "Yes, there is evidence in this case that says the accused may have committed a crime."

The Ferguson case apparently was told that they had to decide more than that.

Time-traveling Senshi

A Mythic Angel
Reynard Blue

Grand Juries are not supposed to make rulings based on evidence. The Grand Jury merely exists to say "Yes, there is evidence in this case that says the accused may have committed a crime."

The Ferguson case apparently was told that they had to decide more than that.

Not only that they were instructed to make a decision based on an unconstitutional Missouri law that they Supreme Court overturned back in 1985. Oh sure at one point they were told that they were given the wrong papers but when asked by a juror if the federal court overrules the local the ADAs literally told them to not worry about it and that it wasn't the time or place for a lesson on the law when all they had to say was "Yes". So yes I do think the prosecutor's office needs to be investigated for pushing laws that not only no longer exist but are unconstitutional even after the jury was told it was overturned. That there should be against the law.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
The guy had alot of things that were out of the cops control, he was fat, had a heart condition and had asthma. Till everyone has a large tattoo on their foreheads what their health conditions are, don't try to fight the cops or sell illegal stuff for a quick buck. Cops are there to protect the masses even from idiots who are doing dumb things.

Divine Muse

Notorious Sailor Uranus
The guy had alot of things that were out of the cops control, he was fat, had a heart condition and had asthma. Till everyone has a large tattoo on their foreheads what their health conditions are, don't try to fight the cops or sell illegal stuff for a quick buck. Cops are there to protect the masses even from idiots who are doing dumb things.

I have no idea what video YOU saw but the one I viewed had the guys hands in a defensive position. He never took a swing at a cop, he never grabbed a cops arm, he wasn't fighting.

He was knocked off balance at one point and had to lurch to try not to fall over.

Asthma was not in his control either, "Not a chokehold" doesn't seem as if it would have helped the asthma angle people are using to justify his death. He didn't deserve to die over untaxed cigarettes as anyone else deserves to die if their parking meter runs out.

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
It was pointed out to me today, and I agree - if he couldn't breathe, then why was he able to clearly articulate the fact that he "couldn't breathe", instead of making the customary gargling sort of sound that indicates an airway issue (or no sound at all..)?

Tipsy Smoker

Jayce Reinhardt
Notorious Sailor Uranus

I have no idea what video YOU saw but the one I viewed had the guys hands in a defensive position. He never took a swing at a cop, he never grabbed a cops arm, he wasn't fighting.

He was knocked off balance at one point and had to lurch to try not to fall over.

Asthma was not in his control either, "Not a chokehold" doesn't seem as if it would have helped the asthma angle people are using to justify his death. He didn't deserve to die over untaxed cigarettes as anyone else deserves to die if their parking meter runs out.
Also the chokehold is banned from police use.

Divine Muse

Chahklet
Jayce Reinhardt
Notorious Sailor Uranus

Also the chokehold is banned from police use.

I've had people tell me "It's not banned"

And I just have to stare at them because they wrong.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Kai-Shan Valandria
It was pointed out to me today, and I agree - if he couldn't breathe, then why was he able to clearly articulate the fact that he "couldn't breathe", instead of making the customary gargling sort of sound that indicates an airway issue (or no sound at all..)?

Seriously?! He did die...obviously he was telling the truth. The coroner ruled it a homicide caused by the choke hold. How is any of this in question?

Besides, as a lifetime asthmatic myself, I can tell you that you can talk and be having serious difficulty breathing at the same time. The windpipe would have to be completely blocked off to prevent speech and it doesn't take that much to impede breathing. It's normal with that kind of breathing difficulty that you would pass out before losing the ability to speak. And then you'd die, as he did.

Divine Muse

Saless
Kai-Shan Valandria

Seriously?! He did die...obviously he was telling the truth. The coroner ruled it a homicide caused by the choke hold. How is any of this in question?

Besides, as a lifetime asthmatic myself, I can tell you that you can talk and be having serious difficulty breathing at the same time. The windpipe would have to be completely blocked off to prevent speech and it doesn't take that much to impede breathing. It's normal with that kind of breathing difficulty that you would pass out before losing the ability to speak. And then you'd die, as he did.

It could also be argued, if he could breath, he wouldn't have died.

I grew up with Asthma, every time I was excited over a holiday like Halloween or Christmas I would get an Asthma attack, literally have to be hospitalized because of it...

It's not something to be taken lightly, I read some kid died because his school locked up his inhaler and they couldn't do anything because the nurse was on lunch.

I know how scary it is to only have what feels like a pinhole to breath through. Someones arm around your neck in "Not a choke hold" isn't going to help that pinhole get any bigger.

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Notorious Sailor Uranus

How does his medical condition change the fact that the choke hold was illegal? Tons of people sell their belongings untaxed everyday - it may be illegal, but it's a minor offence that in no way justifies seven officers surrounding a guy and choking him to death, especially since he did not "fight" them. The police are supposed to protect, not terrorize.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff