Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yesterday, a video allegedly uploaded by ISIS demanded that the Japanese government pay $200 million for two hostages. In it, a cloaked man waving a knife told the Japanese people to pressure their government to pay or the men would die. Online, the country's Twitter users have responded. With a meme.

The political reality here is very, very grim. One of the captured men, Haruna Yukawa, went to the Middle East, after his life in Japan fell apart. The other man, journalist Kenji Goto Jogo, went to Syria to get him out. Previously, however, Jogo said, "If anything happens, I take full responsibility."

With a deadline ticking away, many Japanese Twitter users have decided to stand up against the ISIS demands that they pressure their government and, as The Japan Times reports, have decided to "mock" the terrorists.

A Photoshop meme under the hashtag "ISIS Crap Photoshop Grand Prix" (#ISISクソコラグランプリ) was created. Note that this is similar to the hashtag used for other Photoshop memes, such as the one last year for Final Fantasy XV. Meanwhile, popular site Naver Matome has been doing roundups of these ISIS 'shops.

Japanese Twitter Users Stand Up to ISIS with...a Photoshop Meme

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
rofl These are amazing.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
*awaits the birth of Isis-tan*

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Heh. Even the Japanese refuse to be held down in fear.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Very interesting.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
This is why I want to go to Japan.

Yeah I wanna go see the world, but not with ISIS out. Go Japan! biggrin
Wow, that's awesome! rofl

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nyadriel
Heh. Even the Japanese refuse to be held down in fear.

Unless they are paying for it. rofl

As to the meme..
I'm torn.
I don't want to mock or make light of the men whose lives are in danger.
On the other hand the photos made me laugh.
I wonder if "bad guy" has been photoshopped into ball pit or poptart cat memes. smile

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Hell Rides With GSK
Yea, I'm sure ISIS is trembling in their boots about a meme. stare

This s**t is what passes for resistance?!

Not sure if resistance is the idea so much as a generic '******** you' message.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Hell Rides With GSK
JamesWN
Hell Rides With GSK
Yea, I'm sure ISIS is trembling in their boots about a meme. stare

This s**t is what passes for resistance?!

Not sure if resistance is the idea so much as a generic '******** you' message.

Yep. That does those poor hostages a world of good, doesn't it? That'll definitely stop them from getting their head's cut off, won't it?

You don't understand. Those two guys are either dead already, or the money is paid for their release - with no guarantees for their safety, and that money be used to kill some other hostages along with 1000's of other people. At some point, this has to stop.
(this is why America, England and a few other countries do NOT negotiate with terrorists. This crap will never stop if money is paid for hostages.)
And by the way, $20 million was paid to these ___s last year alone. This amount of $200 million is the most I have heard of being demanded of any country not in the middle east. Where do you think most or all of that money is gonna go? Not to the people of the 'Islamic State', I can tell you that!

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
I learned yesterday that the last time Japan successfully retrieved their hostages they treated them as a national embarressment and shunned them. These men don't have much to look forward to even if they do escape.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Miss Bitey
I learned yesterday that the last time Japan successfully retrieved their hostages they treated them as a national embarressment and shunned them. These men don't have much to look forward to even if they do escape.

I remember that. Said it was "their fault they got in trouble like that", or something to that affect. I don't remember the words, but we get the sentiment.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Nyadriel
Miss Bitey

I remember that. Said it was "their fault they got in trouble like that", or something to that affect. I don't remember the words, but we get the sentiment.

Yep. Helping foriegners counts as causing trouble.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff