15,700 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Japan Launches Talking Humanoid Robot Into Space
Source

Quote:

User Image

(TOKYO) — Japan has launched the world’s first talking humanoid robot “astronaut” toward the International Space Station.

Kirobo — derived from the Japanese words for “hope” and “robot” — was among five tons of supplies and machinery on a rocket launched Sunday from Tanegashima in southwestern Japan, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, or JAXA, said.

The childlike robot was designed to be a companion for astronaut Koichi Wakata and will communicate with another robot on Earth, according to developers. Wakata is expected to arrive at the space station in November.

Robot designer Tomotaka Takahashi, of the University of Tokyo, advertiser Dentsu and automaker Toyota Motor Corp. worked on the robot.

The challenge was making sure it could move and talk where there was no gravity.

Ahead of the launch, the 34-centimeter (13-inch) tall Kirobo told reporters, “one small step for me, a giant leap for robots.”

Japan boasts the most sophisticated robotics in the world, but because of its “manga” culture, it tends to favor cute robots with human-like characteristics with emotional appeal, a use of technology that has at times drawn criticism for being not productive.

But Takahashi said sending a robot into space could help write a new chapter in the history of communication.

“I wish for this robot to function as a mediator between person and machine, or person and Internet and sometimes even between people,” he said.

JAXA said the rocket launch was successful, and the separation of a cargo vehicle, carrying the robot to the space station, was confirmed about 15 minutes after liftoff.

You can learn more about Kiribo here.

Loyal Exhibitionist

I dunno about you, but I'd rather to have cute robots so I can look at one and go "Awww, so cute!" - which is exactly what Kirobo is - a cute robot. emotion_bigheart

Melodious Unicorn

40,400 Points
  • Worthy Challenger 25
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Data? If you get the reference, I will love you forever.

Springtime Capitalist

It surprises me how Kiribo is so adorable, serves a purpose.

Go Japan!

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
that's a darling robot heart

Adored Sweetheart

Very,very cool.

Sweet Tycoon

8,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100