Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Arguments in Morristown on whether text sender is liable if person receiving text crashes

In an issue that could have a major impact, a state appeals court panel heard arguments Monday in Morristown on whether a text sender can be held civilly liable if the message recipient crashes and causes harm to others while reading and driving.

A Superior Court judge in Morristown one year ago ruled that Shannon Colonna of Rockaway could not be held liable for aiding and abetting the conduct of Kyle Best, then 19, of Wharton, who got distracted while reading Colonna’s text and crashed and severely injured a couple on a motorcycle in Mine Hill.

David and Linda Kubert each lost a leg when Best, driving a pick-up, crashed into the Kuberts on their motorcycle on Sept. 21, 2009. The potential civil liability of Colonna, as a remote texter who wasn’t present in Best’s pick-up, is a novel issue that hasn’t been directly addressed in case law in New Jersey, except through now-retired Judge David Rand’s decision last year in Morristown.

Representing the Kuberts, attorney Stephen “Skippy” Weinstein urged the three-judge panel to send a message that text senders should have “a duty of care” to avoid sending messages if they know the intended recipient is driving and likely to check the communication.

“There are people getting slaughtered on the road because people are not listening...and sadly it’s young people,” Weinstein said.

Weinstein’s goal is to get Colonna, who was 17 when Best struck the Kuberts and had exchanged some 62 text messages with him in the hours before the crash, reinstated as a defendant in a lawsuit seeking damages for the Kuberts.

The three appellate judges -- Marianne Espinosa, Victor Ashrafi and Michael A. Guadagno -- had a lively debate with Weinstein and Colonna’s lawyer, Joseph McGlone, over the issue and after more than an hour of arguments over the case said they would issue a ruling in the future. Ashrafi noted that he is concerned with creating a legal duty of care for a text sender and under what circumstances.

“It’s going to apply to thousands of people who do this and send a text,” Ashrafi said.

While the appellate division may address when a text sender could be held liable for someone else’s distraction, if ever, McGlone argued that in the specific Kubert case, Colonna shouldn’t be held responsible for Best’s choice to read her text while driving.

“She cannot control when Kyle Best reads the message,” McGlone said. Guadagno shot back: “Other than not to send it to begin with if she knows he’s driving.”

Ashrafi pondered aloud if a text sender could be considered civilly negligent if he or she knows a recipient is driving and is in the habit of immediately reading messages. Ashrafi suggested it might be fair to impose a civil duty on a person who is aware of a recipient behind the wheel who reads messages promptly, but McGlone said the law that already makes it a motor vehicle violation to text and drive should be a sufficient deterrent.

The Kuberts, who have moved out of state, last year settled their lawsuit against Kyle Best for $500,000, the policy limit of the vehicle insurance on the pick-up he was driving. Best also pleaded guilty in Municipal Court last year to using a hand-held cellphone while driving. As part of his sentence, he was ordered to speak to 14 high schools about the dangers of driving and texting.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. That's like the burglar suing his victim when he fell through the sky light onto a knife.
No. Next case.

Liberal Fatcat

Why should the sender be held liable? I dont know what the receiver is doing the moment I send a message. Its not feasible.

Loyal Exhibitionist

This Isnt Sparta
Why should the sender be held liable? I dont know what the receiver is doing the moment I send a message. Its not feasible.

This. This. Oh god this.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
No one can control when a person reads a text other than the person reading the text.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Shama_okami
No. Next case.

Shy Genius

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
no, unless the sender actively knows that the other person is in the car/driving at the time

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I say, only if the person texts back, "I'm driving."

Confident Genius

Nope. It doesn't matter whether they sent the text or not. The choice is always the driver's to not immediately leap to respond just because their phone ting-a-ling'd that they had a text.

We should be expecting drivers to be responsible enough to know that they are driving and therefor cannot respond. So they shouldn't be touching their phone unless they pull in somewhere if it's that important.

Nobody had a gun to the driver's head when the ringer went off and demanded they take their eyes off the road to respond with "nuthin wut r u doin lol?" They chose to do it, so they are liable. Seriously...my brother does that crap all the time. The instant a text comes in he leaps to respond no matter what it's about or what's going on around him. He started rolling back down a hill towards a stopped bus because he couldn't keep his hands off the phone and not text them back. So if he gets in a wreck, it's his own damn fault in my book.

Lionheart

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
No. How the ******** the sender supposed to know if the person is driving? Have we all developed psychokinetic powers I don't know about yet?

Why can't the driver just turn off their phone instead of having to have it on?

Why can't the driver wait to answer the text when they hit the traffic lights?

THEY'RE the ones answering the phone. THEY'RE the ones who make the conscious decision to check their stupid phone which makes them careen into a lamppost and send their thick skull straight through the windshield. It's not like the sender is grasping the wheel or tickling their balls and making them lose control voluntarily. That's the drivers fault.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
How can we possibly know that a person's driving when we send them a text? Calling is one thing, but texts are usually for stuff that doesn't necessitate an immediate reply, no matter what some people think.
If I can wait til I stop to answer my phone so can anyone else.

The sender don't put a gun to my head and force me to pick up my phone.

Also, Frankie Boyle FTMFW.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm amazed the courts would even consider such an absurd law.
I'm glad the debate at least included the stipulation that the sender has to know the person is driving and likely to check their messages anyway but IMO it still places responsibility for a crime on the person not committing the crime.

Long before the 'texting while driving' laws a lot of states already had a more general 'distracted driving' law. It's illegal to read books, work on your knitting or any of a thousand other things that take your attention away from the road. Who is to blame? The person who while driving chooses to stare at the burger in their lap and use both hands to squirt ketchup and mustard packets on their burger - and runs into a pedestrian or semi - or the kid at the drive through window that knowingly sold a burger meal to a person driving a car?
People should not be held legally responsible for other people's stupidity.

Also, unless it is just blatantly obvious in the content of the text messages ("I'm speeding and weaving through rush hour traffic while sending you these texts." ) the person sending the message could easily claim they thought the driver on the other end was - stopped in traffic, pulling over momentarily to send the replies, dictating the replies to a passenger in the car who was the one actually typing the messages - and so on.

Also, aren't there some phones out there that use text to speech and speech to text so you can send hands free text messages? I know I've seen a person use speech recognition to put text into their phone. I'm not sure if it was for a text message or an email (more or less the same thing) but it was speech to text. Another defense would be you thought the driver was using something like that.

People do stupid and illegal things to get recognition in real life and on the internet. 'Smashing Gallons' is an example but some are a lot worse.
People liking and sharing those stunts / videos encourage the folks who make them to make more of the same.
Hypothetically if those kids go on to make "Smashing Gallons 2" and during the stunt some old lady slips, hits her head and dies, should all the folks who 'encouraged' these guys by liking and sharing also be held accountable for the old lady's death?

From a legal standpoint the comparison is not as silly as it sounds. In both cases the person(s) far away was doing something illegal. For the gallon smashing folks it was vandalism / destruction of property, assault (they splashed some people with milk) and probably some variation of endangering people by creating an unsafe situation in a public place.

In both cases the person(s) on the other end could be said to have been encouraging the illegal activity to continue by sending more text messages or by giving the gallon smashing kids the notoriety they were craving by liking and sharing the first video.

But in both examples the people on other other end had no direct control or influence to make the other person commit or continue to commit the illegal acts. It was a choice on the part of the person(s) committing the crime(s).

And I just used gallon smashing as a recent example. There are tons of other things where people not participating in an illegal action could be said to be encouraging the people who are. Sending a lot of texts to someone you know or suspect is driving is ill advised but IMO it should not be illegal / make you the subject of a lawsuit.
The driver is liable, not the sender. On a side note, isn't this double jeopardy since the case has already been tried and she was found innocent, but now is being brought BACK to trial?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff