Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
With more retailers shifting the start of their big holiday pushes to Thanksgiving, it prompts the question of whether Black Friday even exists in the traditional sense.

Macy's (M -0.75%), J.C. Penney (JCP -0.60%) and Kohl's (KSS -1.27%) are the latest retailers to hop on the Thanksgiving bandwagon to stay competitive in a increasingly promotional retail landscape. E-commerce deals are starting earlier, too, with Wal-Mart Stores (WMT +0.12%) kicking off its online promotions Friday, a month earlier than usual.

Black Friday, which in the past has kicked off the holiday shopping season, got its name for being the day retailers hope will turn them from unprofitable (in the red) to profitable (in the black).

"Black Friday has reached unplanned obsolescence, and [on] Black Saturday and Sunday the stores get more and more deserted," said Burt P. Flickinger, managing director at SRG Insight, a retail consulting firm. "By moving sales to Thursday, Black Friday loses its retail relevance."

The creep from Friday to Thursday began in 2010, when Sears Holdings (SHLD -1.02%) opened on Thanksgiving. Wal-Mart moved Black Friday to the holiday in 2011, and Target (TGT -0.90%) followed last year.

As this trend amplifies, Black Friday is quickly becoming "a relic of years gone by," said Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities strategist at Belus Capital Advisors.The transition also pressures retailers to have stores open and generating sales in an increasingly competitive market, he added.

"That's why I think you're going to see more retailers announce they'll be open," Sozzi said. "You have to capture the traffic in the mall because you don't know when it will return. It's a cascading effect."

Cyber Monday -- increasingly popular with time-pressed, crowd-wary shoppers -- is also squeezing Black Friday. For the first time, an American Express survey found that more shoppers plan to participate in the former than the latter.

Bill Martin, founder and executive vice president of ShopperTrak, said that the "lines are beginning to blur" for the holiday season.

"We're seeing more and more promotions earlier in November out of fear of the consumer's running out of money," he said. "They're trying to get to that wallet as soon as possible."

Although Thanksgiving is growing in importance and now starts many retailers' major pushes, Martin stressed that Black Friday still tops other days in terms of sales. ShopperTrak forecasts that Black Friday will be the busiest shopping day this year for sales and traffic for the 10th straight year.

Expect coal this season

Surveys and forecasts indicate that this season could be particularly Scrooge-like for retailers.

In a recent report, Morgan Stanley analysts forecast the weakest holiday sales and the most promotional season since 2008.

Nearly 80 percent of shoppers plan to spend less overall, a recent survey from the National Retail Federation found. The average shopper plans to spend about $737 on holiday items, 2 percent less than the average last year, it found. Overall, the trade group expects sales to rise marginally, by 3.9 percent.

Retailers face several challenges this season, including slumping consumer confidence; a low employment participation rate; and the shortest holiday calendar since 2002, with one less weekend.

Citigroup predicts consumers will remain C.H.E.A.P., or more interested in spending on cars, housing, e-commerce appliances and home-improvement projects than on apparel, electronics or home goods.

"We are predicting more holiday creep this year as retailers aggressively compete for a piece of a shrinking holiday sales pie," Citigroup analysts said in a report.

About 32 percent of retailers surveyed by the NRF intend to offer discounts earlier than last year because of the economy. Nearly half of marketers surveyed by Experian said they had launched campaigns before Halloween.

'Amateur hour?'

Why are people going along with Black Friday promotions bleeding into Thanksgiving?

"From our touch with consumers, we hear nothing but disdain about losing the holiday and from employees who complain about it," Martin said. "Consumers openly complain about it, but more and more consumers participate in it."

More than 35 million people turned up at stores on Thanksgiving last year, up 22 percent from 2011 and 58 percent from 2010.

Participants include customers like Jonathan Krackehl of Fairfield County, Conn., who moved his Thanksgiving dinner a bit earlier to accommodate the new sales schedule but still says he hates the change.

"I've gotten less enthused about it because of the hours coming earlier," he said. The shift has caused the crowd to change from experienced discount-seekers to "almost amateur" hour, he added.

blitz
I'm surprised Americans even do Black Friday anymore. It seems rather annoying and dangerous, and the wait times. Wouldn't you rather just do it all online on Cyber Monday? I mean, is there even a POINT to going to the store?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I think there was an episode of The Middle a few years ago where the mom decided that their Christmas shopping was going to start on Thanksgiving and was completely neglecting the family and dinner aspect of the holiday.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
x-Garethp-x
I'm surprised Americans even do Black Friday anymore. It seems rather annoying and dangerous, and the wait times. Wouldn't you rather just do it all online on Cyber Monday? I mean, is there even a POINT to going to the store?
I think it's almost like a sporting event for the shoppers. Going to a game instead of just watching it on TV seems pointless to me, yet millions of people do so, even in terrible climate conditions. Looking at it in a positive light, at least on Black Friday they're standing up and moving about a lot, which is better for one's physical health than simply sitting in front of a monitor clicking "add to cart."

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
x-Garethp-x
I think some people like to boast that they went out shopping on Black Friday and survived. Also, some of the sales are in store only, and people are always chomping at the bit for such 'steals'. rolleyes An American and their money are soon parted, big sales or no.

Dedicated Student

I went to black Friday once just to get something that I needed at the store. We could barely make it through and all those people there set off my tourettes really bad. Not to mention there were people stealing out of other people's carts. So I hope that black Friday is becoming obsolete.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Lupa Fangs Makucha
I went to black Friday once just to get something that I needed at the store. We could barely make it through and all those people there set off my tourettes really bad. Not to mention there were people stealing out of other people's carts. So I hope that black Friday is becoming obsolete.
It seems to only be becoming obsolete in that it's not just on Friday anymore. The problem here is that it's starting on Thanksgiving Day, and in some cases, sticks around for the weekend (at least around here it does). Means more days of hyped up, rude as hell, grumpy shoppers. You'd think with more days, people would spread it out a bit more, but nope. They're still as shitty as they were when they only had one day to shop.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It shouldn't come as any big surprise that when you take a major sale day and spread it out over weeks the impact of the one day diminishes. It's kind of a duh.

I don't really care what day(s) they have it on because I rarely go anyway.
A lot of the time the sales aren't that great unless you already wanted to purchase that particular item. If you take the time to research the items for sale the deal is not always as good as it sounds.
I think it was about three years ago Walmart was heavily pushing a couple of deals like a bluray player for $40 and an iPhone for discounted price. I took the time to look them up online. The bluray was a cheap version that normally sold for about $55-60. So $40 was a deal if you were going to buy THAT model but it was a piece of crap I wouldn't buy for my use so no sale.
The iphone was a model that had been out for most of a year and the next version was coming out in a month or two, thus they would want to offload the 'old' model.

To be sure there are deals to be had at Black Friday type sales but you have to be an informed consumer and not get caught up in the emotional hype.

Personally I don't see deals that make me want to get up at 4 AM and go stand on a cold sidewalk waiting for some store to open their doors. (Or midnight or whatever times they are going to do it this year).

Having it on Thanksgiving just makes it easier for me to ignore.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Only shopping I do on Black Friday is grocery shopping. I hate crowds. Makes me feel uncomfortable because of my clumsiness. But even in the grocery store it gets crowded more than usual.

Dedicated Student

xXFurygeistXx
Lupa Fangs Makucha
It seems to only be becoming obsolete in that it's not just on Friday anymore. The problem here is that it's starting on Thanksgiving Day, and in some cases, sticks around for the weekend (at least around here it does). Means more days of hyped up, rude as hell, grumpy shoppers. You'd think with more days, people would spread it out a bit more, but nope. They're still as shitty as they were when they only had one day to shop.

D: Ours is only for one day thankfully. Though it's one day of hell on earth. I hated it. It's confusing as hell. The shoppers steal. Even if they haven't bought the item they are still grabby from other people's carts who plan to buy the stuff when it's in limited supply. Not to mention there are too many. I wished it would just go away. No black Friday shops.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
xXFurygeistXx
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Not just shoppers but the workers. Workers are threatened to work long hours then told to cut it off days later.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
It's not stealing if the other person hasn't bought the item yet. It's generally considered rude, but it's not theft.

Fanatical Zealot

Fanatical Zealot

Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha
It's not stealing if the other person hasn't bought the item yet. It's generally considered rude, but it's not theft.

That's always my excuse. xp

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The thing I love about Black Friday is my state is a little more classy about this whole affair. It may be because we're smaller, but businesses organize far better here. WalMart was s**t, but the local Target was very accommodating. They had two lines wrapping through each half of the store. You found what you wanted, the employees directed you to a line, then you moved through until you got to the tills and another employee pointed you to the shortest one. We locked our stuff in the car and headed in... then stepped right back out.

I did not doubt how a man could die in a WalMart when I saw what happened to my local store.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff