Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
Video footage shows woman caught driving on SIDEWALK to avoid waiting for a bus... but she still pleads not guilty

A Cleveland woman has been filmed driving on the sidewalk - past the entrance to a local day-care - to avoid waiting for a school bus.

Shena Hardin, 32, appeared in court Tuesday morning and pleaded 'not guilty' to charges of not stopping for a school bus and reckless operation.

A Cleveland Schools bus driver has been credited with helping police to catch Hardin making her illegal maneuver.

He claims that she had been breaking the law on a regular basis for months by mounting the sidewalk each morning to get past his school bus when it is stopped on a two-lane street to pick up a disabled child.

A sting was set-up and successfully caught Hardin commit the illegal act on September 11. The bus driver filmed the incident and as the footage shows, the police were waiting to give Hardin a ticket.

Hardin’s unusual detour is made all the worse by the fact that the path is the entrance to a local day-care.

Daycare worker Tonya Butler told Fox8: 'I was very alarmed, we are a daycare and we walk the children down the sidewalk. And other children are walking to school coming down the street.'
Hardin must return to court on October 22.

Photos and video of car on sidewalk passing bus

Fashionable Hunter

I wish my town had consistent sidewalks -.-"

And as someone who walks to and from school 5 days a week, I hope she gets arrested and they slap an enormous fine on her for endangerment.
Take her license away permanently! Throw her butt in jail for 6 months or so. In other words "Throw the Book" at her.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
What an idiot , yet another person who needs to go back to driving school where they teach you not to do stuff like that. She’s lucky there was no one at the entrance to the daycare where her detour is. I hope they fine her a large sum for this.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Wow. Doing it for months?
I thought it was bad enough she did it once, but as a routine thing?
I don't get the not guilty plea unless it is some sort of formality recommended by her lawyer - as in some difference in what she might get in sentencing or something like that. Though if they have her on video you'd think the advice would be plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court instead of pissing them off by wasting more of their time.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
David2074
I don't get the not guilty plea unless it is some sort of formality recommended by her lawyer - as in some difference in what she might get in sentencing or something like that. Though if they have her on video you'd think the advice would be plead guilty and throw yourself on the mercy of the court instead of pissing them off by wasting more of their time.

I think you hit it in the last sentence: screw the system. Make 'em work for the conviction by going through all the steps, crossing all the t's, dotting all the i's. Make 'em spend lots of taxpayer money. Waste valuable court time. Maybe they'll dismiss it for those reasons. rolleyes Well, that's the basic thinking process. She might claim she wasn't the one driving, but they have the police car stopping her on the video, too.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Tsuki_Kirkland
What an idiot , yet another person who needs to go back to driving school where they teach you not to do stuff like that. She’s lucky there was no one at the entrance to the daycare where her detour is. I hope they fine her a large sum for this.

Besides the daycare-center entrance, she passes the bus on the side where the kids stand to get on the bus.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Vampirate Kitsune
Tsuki_Kirkland

Besides the daycare-center entrance, she passes the bus on the side where the kids stand to get on the bus.

She’s even luckier then that there wasn’t anyone there that could of been hit .

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
David2074

I think you hit it in the last sentence: screw the system. Make 'em work for the conviction by going through all the steps, crossing all the t's, dotting all the i's. Make 'em spend lots of taxpayer money. Waste valuable court time. Maybe they'll dismiss it for those reasons. rolleyes Well, that's the basic thinking process. She might claim she wasn't the one driving, but they have the police car stopping her on the video, too.

Yeah, that might maybe work if they didn't have her on both the bus driver's video and the cop's video. At least it should be a fairly short trial. Prosecution - "Here she is on video doing what she is charged with". Defense - "Um, yeah, but..."
One thing that comes to mind is the not guilty plea is so she will have a chance to argue mitigating circumstances. I doubt it will matter but that may be the plan.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
At least they have sidewalks. rofl The main road here doesn't have any. Granted, it's no city, so traffic isn't that bad, but it's still terrifying to walk alongside it, all the while hugging the woods. Especially for someone like me, who hates bugs to the point where I'd jump straight into the street if a spider was on one of those branches...

On topic, though, this is insane. What kind of an idiot is so impatient that they're willing to risk innocent lives? If you're late for work or whatever because of a school bus, it stands to reason that maybe you should, you know, leave a little earlier. What a moron.

Greedy Drake

When I first read this I thought she had just squeaked by the bus on the sidewalk (still wrong) but she is straight up booking it. I think she should have her license revoked. When I was a wee one people would almost hit the poor bus driver all the time zooming past without stopping. When the lights are on you have to stop A-holes! (Funny thing one time some one was going to zoom by without slowing down so he put out his stop sign just a few feet and her car struck it. He was flustered I dont think he thought the woman would have passed so close. What if she had hit a kid!?)

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
At least no one was hurt... And they got her.

Wheezing Gawker

9,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
Gma Wolf
Take her license away permanently! Throw her butt in jail for 6 months or so. In other words "Throw the Book" at her.
they should beat her with the book then throw it at her

Original Humorist

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
She couldn't wait just a few minutes until the bus left? People these day emotion_facepalm She needs to be fined largely and jailed.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Following the sentiment of everyone else, yes she should be severely punished for this. This is why school bus companies are getting cameras more and more. They are doing it in my state too, to catch people like this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff