Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Massive sheets of moving ice have damaged or destroyed lakefront homes in Canada and northern Minnesota. No injuries were reported.

In Minnesota, video of the weather phenomenon shows an enormous sheet of ice that appears to be creeping forward, traveling about 15 feet to invade some multi-story homes at Izatys Resort, the community bordering Mille Lacs.

The ice is seen pushing up against some homes.

National Weather Service Meteorologist Shawn Devinny said 30 to 40 mile an hour winds pushed the water into the ice, driving it ashore. He says the winds were lighter Sunday and the shoreline got a reprieve.

The Department of Natural Resources says about 10 miles of shoreline are covered, with some reaching up to 30 feet high.

On Friday, 12 homes and cottages in Ochre Beach, which lies along Dauphin Lake in Manitoba, were destroyed by a similar phenomenon, the Winnipeg Free Press reported. Fifteen other structures were damaged.

A state of emergency reportedly was declared in the community.

The creeping ice was several feet high, in many cases dwarfing some of the structures it affected.

The storm lasted about 15 minutes, Clayton Watts, the deputy reeve of the rural municipality of Ochre River, told the Free Press.

"They (homeowners) heard it before they saw it (the ice) coming up their decks," Watts told the newspaper. "Then it came right in their front windows. It was just a matter of minutes. Fortunately, no one was hurt. We were very lucky."

EEPP

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dude, I live in North Dakota and our ice is totally gone. How does Minnesota still have this crap?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight: It's about halfway through May, and there are still areas in that are frozen over?! WTF?! Momma Nature's definitely drunk or something, because the weather this year has been seriously whack...

Feral Nymph

Alexander J Luthor
Dude, I live in North Dakota and our ice is totally gone. How does Minnesota still have this crap?

Obviously Minnesota is stealing ice from you all. 3nodding

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pessimist
Alexander J Luthor

Obviously Minnesota is stealing ice from you all. 3nodding

Damn. O.o
Honey of the South
Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight: It's about halfway through May, and there are still areas in that are frozen over?! WTF?! Momma Nature's definitely drunk or something, because the weather this year has been seriously whack...

Good thing climate change is a hoax. rolleyes

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
How does a sheet of ice "creeping" 15 feet equal a tsunami? confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash