Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
By early next year, more than 20 chain restaurants will be posting calorie counts on their menus. Yet that information may not be enough to change consumers' behavior, researchers say.

According to a new report published in the American Journal of Public Health, the number of calories in a food or beverage item doesn't mean much to many folks. But showing people how much activity they would have to do to burn those calories off might be enough to convince us to ditch our unhealthy habits.

Researchers posted different types of signs around six stores in Baltimore. One type of sign posted the number of calories in a regular bottle of soda. Another type posted the amount of sugar in the same bottle. A third type of sign showed either the number of minutes someone would have to run or the number of miles they would have to walk to burn off those 250 extra calories.

The scientists recorded all the purchases made by their target study population -- black teenagers from 12 to 18. They also asked some of the adolescents what they thought of the signs as they exited the stores.

Soda makers want to cut calories: But is diet really better?

Overall, the study author found that providing any calorie information encouraged more teens to purchase water or diet soda instead of a sugar-sweetened beverage. But signs that displayed the physical activity information had a stronger effect than the other types of signs.

"There is a strong scientific link between consumption of sugary beverages and obesity," study author Sara Bleich of Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Health Policy and Management said in a statement. "Using these easy-to-understand and easy-to-install signs may help promote obesity prevention."

I'd have to do WHAT to eat that?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'd just have to sit on my butt to eat whatever the ******** I want. emotion_awesome

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
encouraged more teens to purchase water or diet soda instead of a sugar-sweetened beverage.

Um, excuse me. Why are we still pushing this s**t when we know it's WORSE than regular soda? Jesus Christ, if you're looking for a second option go with fresh juice or milk.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Who cares?

Wintry Dragon

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:
encouraged more teens to purchase water or diet soda instead of a sugar-sweetened beverage.

Um, excuse me. Why are we still pushing this s**t when we know it's WORSE than regular soda? Jesus Christ, if you're looking for a second option go with fresh juice or milk.
I was wondering the same thing. It contains aspertame. Juice or water are better choices but I gotta say, I do enjoy a Dr. Pepper or pepsi daily xd

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
...I'll probably keep eating unhealthy food anyway. Do you know how expensive healthy snacks are? XP They have these super tasty coconut chips for sale on campus, but they're, like, five bucks for a tiny bag.
Signs wont change anything mrgreen

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

I don't think some people will even pay attention to that.o.o;

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Darth Acheron
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. It contains aspertame. Juice or water are better choices but I gotta say, I do enjoy a Dr. Pepper or pepsi daily xd

Juice can contain just as much sugar, but a) it's not aspartame and b) at least it (actual juice) contains, y'know, juice. Although Oddwalla 'juice' has been known to spread e-coli more than once and more than that, Capri Sun had been full of various molds.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm sure a bunch of people don't know how many calories they burn day-to-day. Imagine it hasn't been done before because it's a scare tactic, basically. "you'd have to jog x miles to burn off the calories from eating this bacon-covered burger".. If they don't know that they burn calories just by being alive that would definitely scare someone off.
I bet some people would react negatively and starve themselves to death, if they just take the signs at face value, without knowing anything else about eating and how your body uses what you eat...
tl;dr: Fat Americans need education about it more than anything. My school's health class really didn't talk about it at all, and the book seemed to be from the 80s.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
if we want to eat crap we should be able to without the government forcing this eat healthy crap on us. its our choices and we know what we are doing. drives me nuts all this health crap. people should be able to eat what they want without the government making them feel bad about it.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Darth Acheron
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Whether or not one is sensitive to aspartame is not especially relevant; drinking diet sodas seems to cause weight gain.

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/is-diet-soda-making-you-fat/

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Ratttking
Darth Acheron
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Whether or not one is sensitive to aspartame is not especially relevant; drinking diet sodas seems to cause weight gain.

And it tastes nasty xd

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Darth Acheron
Ratttking
Darth Acheron
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

And it tastes nasty xd
Yup, that too. I can't believe people still drink TaB, that has saccharin as well as aspartame and is absolutely vile.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff