Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you believe the world will end this year?

yes 0.075862068965517 7.6% [ 11 ]
no 0.92413793103448 92.4% [ 134 ]
Total Votes:[ 145 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Questionable Borg

Queen Kianra
Nothing will happen this year or any other year to come for a long while.

The "prediction" the world ending in 2012 is simply a misreading of what the Mayans described as "one year coming to an end and another beginning". Mayans never accounted for the leap years our calendar has adopted, so therefore their calendar is not aligned with ours. It's actually behind (or maybe ahead..?) of ours.

December 2012 is just going to be another "rapture" moment where thousands of people kill themselves for no reason because they believe in some dumbass people postings blogs about false information.

If the world did end, however, I believe it would be with a Third World War. Why? Because America can't STFU and keep it's greedy little hands to itself. Why did we get involved in the middle east, or any other war anyway? Stupidity. That's why. If our past presidents had any SENSE in their tiny little brains they would realize that they should let the other idiots fight their wars. They could have taken Hitler down without us. And even if they didn't, so what? His views weren't the greatest when he died, but when he came into power his ideas weren't so bad. They were actually quite good, he just wanted to improve upon Germany's economy and living styles.

So, a third world war will happen. We will probably end in nuclear war, if anything. Since everyone nowadays has nukes, I don't think I'd be wrong. But I'm also now certain if a third world war will ever happen. [/shrugs.] It's all opinion and what crazy "theories" people believe in...
According to Mayan calander, the world should have ended 6 months ago, because they didn't account for leap years (as you said)

I don't know if thousands of people will kill themselves, I have a feeling it's just going to be another day.

I fully believe there will be a WW3 at some point, I don't know if it will end the world of not, but it's bound to happen.

Hitler wanted to improve Germany, by killing Jews, how is that not bad?

Destitute Poster

11,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
K, so one of the theories about the end of the world is the Aztec calendar, right?
Basically it says the world will end and the age of Quetzalcoatl begins.
It's an astronomical relation.
By the end of 2012 we will be moving into the Age of Aquarius. Just a celestial shift that happens every couple thousand years.
AAAANYWHO, onto the 'doomsday' garbage.

If the Aztecs were still alive and they reached this point, no, they would not die. At least not in a literal sense.
The change of the age of one god to the next basically is more like... a spiritual death and rebirth.
In which they will build a monument to Quetzalcoatl, 'die', and take it apart. Of course considering if they were still around in this time and held the same beliefs.

Long story short, people are reading far too much into religious celestial relations. We have this everlasting need to feel like we're constantly doomed.

6,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be somewhere in August or September 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…so technically the world should have ended about 7 or 8 months ago.

Dangerous Phantom

dramallama

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
lightningb0lt
There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be somewhere in August or September 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…so technically the world should have ended about 7 or 8 months ago.

i want to say thank u for your post :') you gave me a good grade

Durem Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Athlete 50
  • Medalist 100
  • First step to fame 200
lol do your own homework!!!
lol jk.
actually i think something may happen. Not just the Mayans but several other civilizations have predicted something happening on December 21st, 2012. None of them have predicted "the end of the world." but something.
The Mayan Calender simply stops at that day. thats it. does that mean the end of the world? no. maybe they got bored... maybe they ran out of room the calender.. maybe they were killed of before they had the change to complete it.
other civilizations, (not sure the names, but know of them.) have predicted global uprising, mass hysteria, global polls shifting causing the gravity to switch and we'll all float into space and die, and many more.
Now at the time, none of these civilizations knew about each other, didn't hear any rumors or nothing, they just all predicted this ON THE SAME DAY.
who knows what will happen? maybe the world WILL end? maybe it just might be a new age of thinking.
However i do believe ( i dont wanna hear any religious slams for this, i believe what i believe, and you believe what you believe) that Jesus will come back for his Kingdom and Rapture will occur. All who are not Ruptured (probably me, sad face, i'm not a very good girl) will be left to suffer the worlds end.
My theory is that because of the media and all the "presented evidence" for the end of the world, if we have any natural disasters from the end of November to the end of December, there will be a mass count of suicides. Remember the Y2K thing? I was a bit young to remember most of it, but I do know people who didn't believe in it were hiding out in caves at the last minute "just to be safe." If the world does end, it will be because of the mass paranoia created around the "threat of the end of the world." It's like a spinning hamster wheel.

Devoted Cleric

11,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
ceramicbullet
My theory is that because of the media and all the "presented evidence" for the end of the world, if we have any natural disasters from the end of November to the end of December, there will be a mass count of suicides. Remember the Y2K thing? I was a bit young to remember most of it, but I do know people who didn't believe in it were hiding out in caves at the last minute "just to be safe." If the world does end, it will be because of the mass paranoia created around the "threat of the end of the world." It's like a spinning hamster wheel.

I would say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in that case. lol

I agree completely: the only 'disaster' happening on December 21'st will be all of the idiots who go out rioting and looting because they think the world is ending, and I'm sure there will be a wave of suicides in certain areas of the country, but nothing too huge. Basically, they're going to create the very disaster they're so afraid of, and I wouldn't doubt for a minute they'll hold it up as proof. "See! Look at all of these riots and stuff going on!! It's happening!", they'll cry out pitifully.
Jaden Kazega
ceramicbullet

I would say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in that case. lol

I agree completely: the only 'disaster' happening on December 21'st will be all of the idiots who go out rioting and looting because they think the world is ending, and I'm sure there will be a wave of suicides in certain areas of the country, but nothing too huge. Basically, they're going to create the very disaster they're so afraid of, and I wouldn't doubt for a minute they'll hold it up as proof. "See! Look at all of these riots and stuff going on!! It's happening!", they'll cry out pitifully.

Oh Jesus, you're right. It'll be like the riots in '94. I'm not sure whether I should stay inside in fear of getting hit by a car or shot by a looter, or leave because there is the chance that someone might break into my house.

Devoted Cleric

11,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
ceramicbullet
Oh Jesus, you're right. It'll be like the riots in '94. I'm not sure whether I should stay inside in fear of getting hit by a car or shot by a looter, or leave because there is the chance that someone might break into my house.

Well, luckily for me, I don't live anywhere near a big city to begin with, so the danger is minimal. Still, do you have any family you can visit with for awhile? Just in case the rioting gets really bad or something.
Jaden Kazega
ceramicbullet

Well, luckily for me, I don't live anywhere near a big city to begin with, so the danger is minimal. Still, do you have any family you can visit with for awhile? Just in case the rioting gets really bad or something.

Nearest relatives are about 3 and a half hours away. I may crash with 4 of my friends. how far away from a city do you live?

Devoted Cleric

11,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Clambake 200
ceramicbullet
Nearest relatives are about 3 and a half hours away. I may crash with 4 of my friends. how far away from a city do you live?

Oh, almost an hour out, so the closest thing nearby to me resembling a city is a small dirthole of a town. lol
Jaden Kazega
ceramicbullet

Oh, almost an hour out, so the closest thing nearby to me resembling a city is a small dirthole of a town. lol

Lol, well then you'll probably have a bunch of people leaving to see relatives on that day. You're lucky 3nodding
I will start worrying about the world ending when I hear about science and astronomy labs being empty because the employees are all holidaying and blowing all theirs and their banks money wink

5,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
oh god this thread
emotion_facepalm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers