Welcome to Gaia! ::

xdivision_whitey
ChronoSpark
Mei tsuki7
I personally want gas to skyrocket so we're forced to find a different source of energy. I think that's the only way we can get rid of our oil dependence.

Considering that tapping oil reserves or drilling more doesn't lower gas prices, this seems like the only logical thing to do.

And it seems like it's working at least somewhat. People have actually been driving less recently, while the average MPG vehicles get has gone up. That's a positive sign. It's a baby step, but the next logical step is to look to true alternative energy sources.
Again stop messing with my corn prices.To make one dollar of Ethanol you have to use 1.25 of Corn stock. Is anyone allergic to corn? Do corn vapor Harm people?

Your assumption that "alternative energy sources" = ethanol when I've not even slightly implied such a thing makes you look like a fool.

Why would you make that assumption? It's a generalized term, and there are plenty of other alternative energy sources, either being researched and tested right now, or else on the horizon of possibility.
Right now I have to pay $4. 88 per gallon. I remember when gas used to be $2.00.

Dangerous Slayer

18,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I would love to see gas prices below $3.00 again...

700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I'd love to say just $5 per gallon but that's easily going to be passed but it'd still be cheaper than the bus where I live. I'd say about $10-11 realistically (I'll just fast every other week for 5 days or so).
xdivision_whitey
ChronoSpark
Mei tsuki7
I personally want gas to skyrocket so we're forced to find a different source of energy. I think that's the only way we can get rid of our oil dependence.

Considering that tapping oil reserves or drilling more doesn't lower gas prices, this seems like the only logical thing to do.

And it seems like it's working at least somewhat. People have actually been driving less recently, while the average MPG vehicles get has gone up. That's a positive sign. It's a baby step, but the next logical step is to look to true alternative energy sources.
Again stop messing with my corn prices.To make one dollar of Ethanol you have to use 1.25 of Corn stock. Is anyone allergic to corn? Do corn vapor Harm people?

Corn is not the only type of alternate fuel and if we actually spent money on research we'd have a lot more options.

Ferocious Browser

ChronoSpark
Mei tsuki7

We had just such an opportunity in the 70s and the same thing happened. Americans lowered their consumption of energy to such a point that instead of OPEC hurting us, we ended up hurting them and they ended up caving in. At that point they flooded the market and we forgot all our efficiencies and started down the same overconsumptive road as before. Giving away our money again.

I am hoping this time is different but quite frankly I think the other users are right and the debate over that stupid XL pipeline for tarsands. [******** tarsands. of all the stupid @#I#*&!!!!!!! proves it.
Eveille
ChronoSpark
Mei tsuki7

We had just such an opportunity in the 70s and the same thing happened. Americans lowered their consumption of energy to such a point that instead of OPEC hurting us, we ended up hurting them and they ended up caving in. At that point they flooded the market and we forgot all our efficiencies and started down the same overconsumptive road as before. Giving away our money again.

I am hoping this time is different but quite frankly I think the other users are right and the debate over that stupid XL pipeline for tarsands. [******** tarsands. of all the stupid @#I#*&!!!!!!! proves it.

The circumstances here are slightly different, given the advances in technologies. The very existence of hybrid cars, for example, as well as a renewed push for electric cars, and research and development into sustainable alternative energy sources, leads me to believe that despite political maneuvering that suggests otherwise, there is a difference between then and now.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should be more cynical about it. But I read a lot about the actual R&D behind certain alternative energy and alternative fuel sources, and so much of it looks promising. Yes, there's the political aspect of implementing those things, but it has to happen sooner or later. That's inevitable. I guess the main question is whether it'll happen sooner or later. My hope is that it'll be sooner, even if the reality is that as long as we have so many pro-oil politicians in Congress (i.e. Republicans) it's doubtful that we'll see a greater political push.

Dabbler

Its 4.15 where I live. D: Hooooo!!!!!

Luckily for me I set aside 50$ each week just for gas from my paycheck so my tank will always be full, but I do miss the extra bucks in my wallet.

And I don't care what Santorum or Romney says, the president position doesn't really have control over gas prices. confused honestly I applaud Obama who over his presidency has been pushing the most out of all the presidents in my life time for alternative energy and research.

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
I suppose we'll pay whatever they charge. sad
We kinda need the car to get to work.
It's over an hour drive.... I don't think my 50 yr old hubby could bike that distance.

5,250 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Ride a Bike! That way you spend nothing, get in shape, and have fun!

5,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
all i care about is to lessen its price...

Festive Cutesmasher

9,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
dovemck
gas (petrol) is about $1.60 per litre here, approximately 4 litres per gallon.- $6.40 / gallon. I was happy to see prices lower here in Australia then when I was living in the UK.
Tell me about it! XP Fortunately I live in a part of England where if I need to get into town, bikes are an option, and if I need to get anywhere FROM town, there's public transportation and the tube. I rarely need to drive.
idk bt over here there rates get boosted up like everyday from nw

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
I have to pay whatever it costs, I have no reasonable way to get to work or school otherwise that wouldn't massively disrupt my normal schedule.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff