Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
Sacramento couple fights to get their baby boy back from authorities

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, CA - A Sacramento family was torn apart after a 5-month-old baby boy was taken from his parents following a visit to the doctor.

The young couple thought their problems were behind them after their son had a scare at the hospital, but once they got home their problems got even worse.

It all began nearly two weeks ago, when Anna Nikolayev and her husband Alex took their 5-month-old boy Sammy to Sutter Memorial Hospital to be treated for flu symptoms, but they didn't like the care Sammy was getting.
For example, one day Anna asked why a nurse was giving her son antibiotics.

"I asked her, for what is that? And she's like, 'I don't know.' I'm like, 'you're working as a nurse, and you don't even know what to give to my baby for what,'" Anna explained.

According to Anna, a doctor later said Sammy shouldn't have been on the antibiotics.

Anna said Sammy suffers from a heart murmur and had been seeing a doctor at Sutter for regular treatment since he was born. After Sammy was treated for flu symptoms last week, doctors at Sutter admitted him to the pediatric ICU to monitor his condition. After a few days, Anna said doctors began talking about heart surgery.
"If we got the one mistake after another, I don't want to have my baby have surgery in the hospital where I don't feel safe," Anna said.

Anna argued with doctors about getting a second opinion. Without a proper discharge, she finally took Sammy out of the hospital to get a second opinion at Kaiser Permanente.

"The police showed up there. They saw that the baby was fine," Anna said. "They told us that Sutter was telling them so much bad stuff that they thought that this baby is dying on our arms."

Medical records from the doctor treating Sammy at Kaiser Permanente said the baby as clinically safe to go home with his parents. The doctor added, "I do not have concern for the safety of the child at home with his parents."

"So police saw the report from the doctors, said, 'okay guys, you have a good day,' and they walked away," Anna said.

Anna said the next day police and child protective services showed up on her doorstep. Alex Nikolayev said he met them outside a short time after they arrived.

"I was pushed against the building, smacked down. I said, 'am I being placed under arrest?' He smacked me down onto the ground, yelled out, 'I think I got the keys to the house,'" Alex said.

Then police let themselves inside.

On home video shot with a camera Anna set up herself, police can be seen entering her front door on Wednesday.

"I'm going to grab your baby, and don't resist, and don't fight me ok?" a Sacramento police officer said in the video.

"He's like, 'okay let your son go,' so I had to let him go, and he grabbed my arm, so I couldn't take Sammy. And they took Sammy, and they just walked away," Anna said.

When News10 spoke with police, they said talk to CPS; CPS did not say much about the case. Just before 6 p.m. Thursday, Anna said that a CPS social worker told her, the reason they took Sammy is because of severe neglect; however, the social worker didn't elaborate on that neglect.
Sutter Memorial was asked to comment on the story, but the hospital said the case was with CPS and law enforcement and they would have to comment on the case. CPS said they can't specifically comment on this case because of privacy law, but CPS spokesperson Laura McCasland said, "We conduct a risk assessment of the child's safety and rely heavily on the direction of health care providers."

"It seems like parents have no right whatsoever," Alex said.

On Thursday, Anna and Alex were allowed a one hour visitation with Sammy; he's currently in protective custody at Sutter Memorial Hospital.

"His smile, it's everything for me," Anna said. "I was so happy to see him."

Anna and Alex have a court hearing scheduled for Monday.

"We did everything," Anna said. "We went from one hospital to another. We just wanted to be safe, that he is in good hands."

News10/KXTV

Update on story.
There are times that, in the case of the adoptive mother genuinely being a bad parent and having CPS called repeatedly, the law should have intervened MUCH faster.

And in times like this, well. It's BS. "Severe neglect" because they went to a hospital where they wouldn't mess things up, where the initial police saw for themselves things were fine?

Also, isn't it illegal for cops to enter a home without a warrant?

God damn it, people.
Tanini Tanini
There are times that, in the case of the adoptive mother genuinely being a bad parent and having CPS called repeatedly, the law should have intervened MUCH faster.

And in times like this, well. It's BS. "Severe neglect" because they went to a hospital where they wouldn't mess things up, where the initial police saw for themselves things were fine?

Also, isn't it illegal for cops to enter a home without a warrant?

God damn it, people.

This is why CPS should NOT be immune to being sued for these acts. It causes a LOT of trauma.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
CPS screwed over my uncle when he was in the process of adopting his grandson. Someone sent in an anonymous tip saying that he was a ***** and, for some reason, a ******** herd of policeman busted into his house in the middle of the night, took his grandson without giving an explanation, and he didn't know where his grandson was for two weeks. The tip was totally false, of course. But there was no interview or checkup. They just stole the poor kid and terrorized my uncle's family.

Sounds like the doctor treating their kid was butthurt that they didn't take his word as being infallible. It was also completely uncalled for that the police were manhandling the parents too.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
"We conduct a risk assessment of the child's safety and rely heavily on the direction of health care providers."

That sounds a lot like, "Sutter Memorial said they were bad parents for taking away their patient and we didn't bother talking to the other hospital."

And yes to having the option to be able to sue CPS. I have personally seen the local branch lie and obfuscate around a case where they royally F'd up. A good friend of mine was friends with one of the employees. Off record in personal conversation she told them her co-workers were running scared of being sued and were trying to bury it.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
All I'm getting from this is that there is a corrupt hospital full of greedy and corrupt doctors that seriously needs to be shut down.

What is wrong with people today?!

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
CPS and that hospital - and the police force too for their part in it and the way they handled it, should all be up for a lawsuit.

My own parents had several huge scares when I was little because of my own heart condition, the flu cases, allergies to oranges and to Amoxicillin and Ampicillin, a case of German Measles (when I was three)... as well as a couple of heart failures. All during my first ten years of life. Flu after that, but nothing major of anything else since. Mom had always been in full control of my situations as they came up. She even watched the goings on while I was in surgery.
I do not know how involved Child Services was. There was never any threat to my being taken away.

These days, it seems that idiocy abounds.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
by now, they are probably in the process of assigning the child to a foster home.

at the hearing, they'll ask for a continuance, or for a fact-finding period, or basically do anything they can to stall for time, just long enough to be able to argue at a future hearing that the little boy has acclimated to the foster home, and thus it's no longer in his best interest to return him to his own parents by virtue of the fact that he's been out of their home and in another so long that the transition back to his parents would be too traumatic to justify.
I do believe that "PATIENT'S RIGHTS" gives the patient/patient's parents/guardians the right to request/demand a second opinion. Most "Insurance" companies require a second opinion if there's a question or doubt regarding a treatment/procedure.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Gma Wolf
I do believe that "PATIENT'S RIGHTS" gives the patient/patient's parents/guardians the right to request/demand a second opinion. Most "Insurance" companies require a second opinion if there's a q

parental rights are considered secondary when one discusses CPS and the letter of marque they have to abduct children.

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Wow, this a-hole at the hospital probably has connections with CPS. B/c if they went to another hospital to get a second opinion there is no neglect here.
Keltoi Samurai
Gma Wolf
I do believe that "PATIENT'S RIGHTS" gives the patient/patient's parents/guardians the right to request/demand a second opinion. Most "Insurance" companies require a second opinion if there's a q

parental rights are considered secondary when one discusses CPS and the letter of marque they have to abduct children.

THIS is my full post:
I do believe that "PATIENT'S RIGHTS" gives the patient/patient's parents/guardians the right to request/demand a second opinion. Most "Insurance" companies require a second opinion if there's a question or doubt regarding a treatment/procedure.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Gma Wolf
Keltoi Samurai
Gma Wolf

THIS is my full post:

and?

I didn't cut down your post, which makes me think there must've been a glitch in the system.

still, though, I don't see how the rest of your post is really relevant to the discussion, as the chop didn't change the meaning of your words, or effect the nature of my reply.

Interesting Lunatic

So, parents take kid away from hospital because hospital doesn't know a** from elbow. Take kid to different hospital, a**=Elbow hospital calls cops because their money just walked out the door. New hospital says kid okay to go home. Tells cops kid okay to go home. Cops say okay, family goes home.
a**=Elbow hospital calls cops again, take kid away from family, kid now in "protective custody" in a hospital his parents removed him from because they were ******** up too much.

What the actual flying ******** did I seriously just read?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
And this is why I think certain CPS 'workers' need the living crap beaten out of them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff