Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Hong Kong police have used tear gas to disperse pro-democracy protesters outside the main government building, after a week of escalating tensions.

Demonstrators trying to push through police barricades were earlier repelled by pepper spray.

Protesters want the Chinese government to scrap rules allowing it to vet Hong Kong's top leader in the 2017 poll.

Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung said the demonstration was "illegal" and elections would go ahead as planned.

In his first public statement since the protests began, Mr Leung also added that consultations would continue.

He said he and his government had "been listening attentively to members of [the] public". But, he said, "resolute" action would be taken against the "illegal demonstration".

Protesters blocked a busy road on Sunday, clashing with police as they tried to join a mass sit-in outside government headquarters.

Article

Demonic Teenager

I live in Hong Kong-my mum's a policewoman and she's probably going to get home at 2 in the morning(local time) because of it. It was pretty scary watching it on the live news though.
The turnout by nightfall reached over 100,000 people, apparently.

I found it exhilarating watching the protests. The response from people fighting for their voting rights is the expression of a country that fights for the freedom of their people - politically, socially and economically. I hope everything turns out for the best!

Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
I am an overseas student studying in Scotland. This incident has made me more homesick than ever, and made me really wish I was back in Hong Kong so that I could lend a voice.

Students all over the world are gathering in their respective cities to voice out and raise awareness. On 1st October, all the Hong Kong students in Scotland's capital, are gathering in front of the main library to peacefully protest. I believe the students in London are planning on sitting in front of the Chinese embassy. I have already prepared a huge sign that says "We are crying, but not because of the tear gas".

If not us, who? If not now, when?

#DemocracyForHK #PowerToThePeople

Fashionable Reveler

14,000 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Hellraiser 500
I just hope there will not be a repeat of the Tiananmen Square incident.

Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Verata Starline

You and me both. I have a lot of friends among the front lines, and I can't imagine what I'd do if the same thing happens again. That being said, with the whole world watching, I highly doubt the CCP will try anything drastic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff