Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Philanthropist Chen Guangiao proved there is such a thing as a free lunch, but the homeless people who got a gourmet meal at Loeb Boathouse in Central Park became disgruntled when they were made to sing a Chinese communist song and then didn’t get the $300 cash each that they said they were promised.

In an only-in-New-York moment, an eccentric Chinese millionaire fed some 250 homeless people a fancy lunch at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park on Wednesday — but was thanked with Bronx cheers.

Chen Guangbiao, a recycling tycoon, provided the fine food, and he personally performed magic tricks and sang “We are the World” — and all it got him were shouts from the belly-full crowd.

The homeless people he had helped blasted him as a “fraud” and a “thief” and worse because the $300 each had expected to receive was instead given in lump-sum to a shelter where they had been staying — New York City Rescue Mission.

“The meal was lousy, the cash didn’t come,” said Clarence Taylor, 52, as the ungrateful throng railed in frustration. “Prey on somebody else. Why are you preying on the homeless?”

Another unhappy homeless man, Ernest St. Pierre, vowed he wouldn’t leave until Chen coughed up the cash.

“These people have hope,” he said. “They’re hoping Chen delivers the money.”

Before Chen’s philanthropy led to controversy, there was spectacle — and plenty of it.

Chen, who is worth about $750 million, treated the 250 shelter residents to a three-course meal: sesame-seed-encrusted tuna and Asian vegetable slaw as appetizers, beef filet with horseradish-roasted potatoes for an entre, and seasonal berries with crème fraîche as dessert.

Chen had taken out full-page newspaper ads in which he said he was aimed at “harmonizing relations between China and the United States,” and “restoring the image of China’s wealthy.”

Homeless New Yorkers angered when free lunch doesn’t include $300 ‘dessert’ for all

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
I really don't know what to say to this sweatdrop I mean he said that he would give each $300 at the end and in a way went back on his word/vow by giving it to the homeless shelter they were staying at.... at the same time, if I was in their situation I would be very thankful for the free meal. SO yeah... I do realize one thing. Seems only in America do people complain about free stuff... You wouldn't believe how many people complained that they wanted to try this or that when I was doing demos in grocery stores back in the day. Companies paid us to advertise their products and pick up sales with taste tests. I couldn't just open what some would throw on my table and say they wanted to try... I would have had to buy it and just the fact that I wasn't authorized to give people that other product at any rate.

Quotable Prophet

He should have been more careful with his choice of words. If he was going to donate the money instead of giving each person $300 directly, he should have said so.

But seriously, people? Seriously? The guy got you free food and donated to your shelter. That's more than most people would do, and you're going to blast him for not paying you for his good deed? This is exactly why most people don't do more to help the homeless. Shame on all of you. What exactly makes you entitled to this in the first place?

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

He shoulda been more careful with his words,but it was not very nice of the people. who he fed, being ungrateful.

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Silverlight Symphony
I really don't know what to say to this sweatdrop I mean he said that he would give each $300 at the end and in a way went back on his word/vow by giving it to the homeless shelter they were staying at....

Well, not to ALL 250 of them:

Quote:
Four of the attendees were then brought on stage, and each was given three crisp $100 bills while the cameras flashed.

...so a small number of those in attendance did indeed get some cash.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Food was crap...? Sounded like a fine meal for people even with homes if you ask me. >>;

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
garyoak99
Silverlight Symphony
I really don't know what to say to this sweatdrop I mean he said that he would give each $300 at the end and in a way went back on his word/vow by giving it to the homeless shelter they were staying at....

Well, not to ALL 250 of them:

Quote:
Four of the attendees were then brought on stage, and each was given three crisp $100 bills while the cameras flashed.

...so a small number of those in attendance did indeed get some cash.

I was going by the original article from my memory. Said a certain amount had been invited and they would each receive $300 at the end. At least thats what I had recalled it saying... Either way he said $300 and then only gave $100 to 4 of them, so he just was not careful enough with his words and if he had been, well maybe there would be less of a backlash. And like I was initially trying to say, people really need to just be grateful for what freebies they get without feeling entitled to more. I avoid one of my cousins because he thinks that he is the most awesome person in the world and expects everyone to worship him with presents and money without him having to lift a finger to earn it. Everyone owes him something it seems and everyone is beneath him at the same time. Seriously annoyed that he is now getting married to my stubborn as heck bestfriend/more like a sister, as she can't realize what the heck she is getting herself into by even having a kid with him. Did he change after the kid? Nope... still on that couch acting like king of the world.
ungrateful homeless should be exterminated like the parasites they are.
be happy you got a free gourmet lunch instead of whatever trash you found in a trashcan.

Wintry Dragon

I had a feeling something would go wrong when I read the article a few days ago.

I found this amusing clip that could describe the situation.

They complained about the free 3 course meal? That actually sounded really good lolz. This millionaire took the time from his regular routine and money from his pocket and fed hundreds of homeless, which he coulda spent on a new rolex watch or something. Sure its a letdown about the $300 for them but the guy worded his intention wrong. come on you dont have to worry about an empty stomache for a while attleast mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff